What is wrong with kids?

nadeki

Where is our part as adults in all of this? I have read the thread and don't see much about our responsibility as adults in this situation. Children may not always listen to their parents, but will often conform to the wishes of another adult if asked to behave properly. If a child is misbehaving, talk to the child. If a child is in the pool with a diaper on, say something! Don't just move away and complain.

I think a lot of us DINKS purposely search out times to cruise when we "think" most children will be in school - as well as spring-breakers....that time of year is when I either don't vacation - or hit a great resort.

I always thought Disney was THE cruise line for children - is it just too pricey for a lot of families cruising with children? I realize if that was the only cruise line families with children booked - then demand would be greater than availibility. I remember when Premier catered to families with children - then Disney. When my husband & I first married, we sailed on a Premier cruise. It was LOADED with children and we had more than one parent tell us "You're BRAVE!" *LOL* Not a great fit for us - but there are good cruises - and then there are great cruises! :-)

It's certainly a great cruise line for children and families, but not every child or parent or family wants to spend their cruise in "all Disney, all the time" mode. That's especially true for some (like us) who visit Disneyland or WDW on a reasonably regular basis. Then there are those (again like us) who do an extended WDW stay before or after a cruise. We're west coasties, so we planned 10 days at WDW before our first Caribbean cruise. There's no way we would have enjoyed Disney for our cruise too. And it definitely is pretty pricy. OTOH, we've heard from many, many people (not just here) that Disney, of all lines, goes out of their way to make sure that there are adequate adult-only areas and that the venues are respected as such.

Where is our part as adults in all of this? I have read the thread and don't see much about our responsibility as adults in this situation. Children may not always listen to their parents, but will often conform to the wishes of another adult if asked to behave properly. If a child is misbehaving, talk to the child. If a child is in the pool with a diaper on, say something! Don't just move away and complain.

It's a great thought, but do you know how many parents become nearly physically violent to any adult who dares even look at their out of control child sideways? Most of us simply don't care to get into confrontations with those parents when we're on vacation. A fair number of children who behave poorly don't give a rip and will verbally attack any adult who dares to confront them over their behavior. So that's not usually a good idea either.

However, I would instantly go get a member of the pool crew if I saw a child in a swim diaper in any water play area or pool where they are not allowed (which is most). If the crew member just shrugged and said, "There's nothing we can do," I'd take it to passenger services, the hotel director, the cruise director, and as far as necessary because that is a serious health violation and against CDC and other regulations.

I have seen where people have posted things about problems with kids too...but from what I have read it seems to be more the parents than anything else.

I love my kids and KNOW that they are not perfect. And am going on carnival hoping that the others on there realize there will be kids so if they really have a big deal with kids to not go on carnival there are adult only cruises from what I understand.

I also have to agree with the original poster that as parents of these little angels/demon depending on the day it is frustrating....havne't been on a cruise but it happens other places too....when you go somewhere and all the kid areas are gone and being used by people that don't have kids so then you have to annoy others in the more adult area because adults have taken over the one area MADE for kids!

I agree that the kids of this generation are loud rude and any other term you want to use but it is the parents raising them like this so you can't always blame JUST the kids.

We plan on taking our DS's with us on our cruise....that way if there are any of those times when the kids need entertaining we will have them. I know the ship rents them but why spend the money when we have them plus tons of games...although we wont take our entire library of games with us just a few for each kid. And of course if the need arises one of us will go back to the room with the child and discipline properly.....

Not really. There are extremely few adults only cruises. But the bigger question is why should we have to limit ourselves to those few and generally extremely expensive options? We like RCI, NCL, and Princess. We behave in ways that do not negatively effect others onboard; we expect other passengers, including children, to do the same so that all passengers can enjoy their cruises.

Most children we've encountered on cruises have been terrific. A couple have not. Unfortunately, it's the "have nots" who can make a cruise miserable for many passengers. I think you will find that nearly everyone doesn't blame young children for horrid behavior, but do blame the parents. When it's teens, then it's another story because they are old enough to know exactly how their behavior affects others. I have noticed that a higher percentage of children today feel incredibly entitled to have anything they want at any time they want, no matter the cost. Yes, it is generally their parents who have allowed this mentality to develop by indulging them from day one and making them feel that they are both the center of the universe and can do no wrong. IMO, parents who foster this are doing their children a terrible disservice because eventually the "real world" is going to figuratively smack them upside the head.

You sound like exactly the kind of parent we enjoy seeing onboard. You care about your children enough to be a parent to them, rather than their "best friend" who lets them run wild. You also are considerate enough to remove them when other measures haven't been effective. And you realize they are not "mini adults," but need guidance and rules (along with the fun stuff).

nadeki:

It's not so much that it "bothers" us if there are children onboard or that there is anything "wrong" with children. We are parents too; many, if not most, of us who prefer to cruise with fewer children are. However, our DD is grown and on her own. We simply prefer to cruise when fewer children are likely to be onboard. Having 1000 children on a cruise most certainly is different from a cruise where there are 100 onboard. When there are hundreds of children onboard, they can affect the cruise atmosphere the same way that any large group does. Not all children spend all their time in the children's clubs; many families want to spend all day together. That's great and we are happy for them. But that doesn't mean we care to go to a pool deck where there are 250 screaming children running around having fun. They're children, so of course they will act like children. No problem, but we're not interested in a cruise like that.

I guess I don't understand why anyone should have to justify "why" they prefer not to cruise with lots of children. Parents don't feel the need to justify why they want to cruise with their children--Nor should they! We loved traveling with our DD when she was growing up, but we also never allowed her behave in a way that negatively affected others.

I think it's fairly clear from many responses here that (1) most people blame the parents, not the children, for out of control or inappropriate behavior and (2) the specific things that bother us are behaviors that interfere with or negatively affect our cruise. I don't feel a need to list detailed and specific things because it's more generalized then "I don't like it when teens push all the buttons and monopolize the elevators" or "It bothers us when children run screaming up and down the passageway at midnight."

beachchick

• Administrators

In this day and age I think it's very unwise to speak to someone else's child, especially to try to correct their behavior. You could try speaking to a crew or staff member, but in most cases they aren't going to say anything, either, because so many parents today simply lose it if someone implies that their child is less than perfect.

In this day and age I think it's very unwise to speak to someone else's child, especially to try to correct their behavior. You could try speaking to a crew or staff member, but in most cases they aren't going to say anything, either, because so many parents today simply lose it if someone implies that their child is less than perfect.

Totally agree. If they go crying to their parents you never know how they are going to react or what they are going to accuse you of. Before you know it they will be spreading word around the ship that you were the nasty person who told off their little angel. Not everyone would be like that if they saw their child was wrong but I don't think it's out of the question with a lot of parents.

Cruise ships are never over capacity. If a ship holds 3000 and its made up of 4 to a cabin then the ship runs with vacant cabins but not down in capacity.

Untrue. Capacity is calculated at the rate of 2 per cabin. A ship like the Gem has a capacity somewhere in the range of 2200, yet I've sailed on itineraries where there were 2800 passengers on board.

If my children were not homeschooled we would be cruising during the summer....but since they don't go to traditional school I can choose to do school whenever and where ever!

If they don't learn by watching me and the father then they wont learn and what kind of adults will they be?

Most kids learn from their environments, from their peers, from their teachers, AND from their parents. Too bad you've chosen to rob yours of those learning opportunities.

We plan on going in Either Jan or Feb...when school is in session.I really don't want to be the reason someone else had a bad vacation.

Then don't go in Jan or Feb, when people are expecting kid-reduced vacations.

But as I tell my kids all the time it is what YOU make it If you let your sister singing the same song over and over again annoy you then that is YOUR choice.....if you choose not to go to another room

So what you're saying is: "if I choose a cruise when kids are not onboard because they're in school....and your kids are onboard because you've chose to be contrarian...and your kids are annoying, then I should have to leave the area"? That's a perfect example of what is meant by parents who think too highly of their kids. A better response would have been "If my kid is being annoying, I'll be right over to deal with it and make sure the singing stops".

And I guess I have to say the same to the adults that don't like some of the NORMAL things for kids to do....pushing the elevator buttons....

That's why those people choose the time of year that they do.

That's just ASKING for a violent reaction from overprotective parents.

Kids!

I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!

Kids!

Who can understand anything they say?

Kids!

They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs!

Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers!

While we're on the subject:

Kids!

You can talk and talk till your face is blue!

Kids!

But they still just do what they want to do!

Why can't they be like we were,

Perfect in every way?

What's the matter with kids today?

Kids!

I've tried to raise him the best I could

Kids! Kids!

Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons!

And while we're on the subject!

Kids! They are just impossible to control!

Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!

Why can't they dance like we did

What's wrong with Sammy Caine?

What's the matter with kids today!

Now who was Sammy Caine

The reference was to the 'crazy music' kids were listening to, instead of the old classics by guys like Sammy Kaye.

from

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070118230405AAs25Jm

It's not just on cruise ships, it's where ever families go to be on vacation. I just spent 6 weeks traveling the country with my 17 year old son. He is a high-end bowler & was bowling in the top national tournaments. We had 12 nights in Indy this July and Parents WOULD NOT take care of their kids - they were on vacation. Some nights it was like being at a spring break location, whether it was the teens running & screaming in the hall ways, kicking a soccer ball and tossing a frisbee up until 2:00 in the morning. Where were the parents??? I went to the front desk one late afternoon to pick up an incoming fax and there were 3 kids running to the top of the handicap accessible landing conecting the main lobby to the room hallways. They ran to the top and would roll themselves "down the hill". Everyone had to use this area to get to the lobby and they pushed into and rolled into other guests. The parents were sitting across the lobby at the bar and wouldn't say a thing to them.

Our son has been cruising since he was 3, as well as going on incentive trips all over the world. He has always been well behaved and he has known if it was unacceptable to act a certain way at home, he didn't get a free pass to act up elsewhere. He pulls straight A's, is state pres. for bowling, bowls on tour, writes his own column for a New England newspaper and the pres. of the school's International Club. There are some good kids still out there, unfortunatly, they seem to be the exception. But for what I have seen in our travels, kids will try to push the limits in a new situation and if the parents don't say anything, they see just how far they can go without being spoken to.

just my 2 cents

Our son has been cruising since he was 3, as well as going on incentive trips all over the world. He has always been well behaved and he has known if it was unacceptable to act a certain way at home, he didn't get a free pass to act up elsewhere. He pulls straight A's, is state pres. for bowling, bowls on tour, writes his own column for a New England newspaper and the pres. of the school's International Club. There are some good kids still out there, unfortunatly, they seem to be the exception.

Well folks, this is the standard to which we all must attain!! We have never, on 12 cruises, had any problems with children......some of the adults onboard though, well that is another story!

I have my own business and we had a great day care lady in our neighborhood who had been caring for kids for years. She had one very simple rule and it makes sense no matter where kids are - on vacation, in a store, etc. When she would get a new child she would simply tell them they were expected to act the same way they do at home with their parents watching. If they acted up, she would simply ask them "would mom and dad let you act that way?" She takes the kids everywhere for outings, the park, the fair for the day, the store and they all behave.

Like others have said, some of the adults on the other hand once they get a couple of drinks in them, really act like fools. Maybe we should be asking them "would you act like that if your boss was watching?" lol

First of all, I love kids and enjoy seeing them have fun, don't mind if they throw a tantrum in some shop, if I pop in to a Mac D. I expect to find lots of kids there, on etc etc

However, when I picture myself on a cruise I picture myself relaxing on a lounger in some quiet spot, having a quiet dinner in a nice restaurant, going to the buffet for snacks and breakfast in peace, having a dip in the pool or hot tub, strolling along the deck, using lifts without a problem and so on.

Much of the above is impossible with some 1000 kids on board. It would be unnatural for those number of children to all be quiet, well behaved, sit still for hours at end. And not be rowdy, not run about near the pool, not to play pressing elevator buttons . It's a pity the adults and kids pools are right near each other (on the Gem at least) as it makes control so much more difficult.

The trouble is even those parents who normally control their kids find it difficult if there are lots of others misbehaving and no crew member stops them. Most people feel justified in relaxing rules while on holiday. For many children disruption of their usual routine and staying up so much later is the reason of their whining.

For example how can you stop your 8 year old helping himself at the buffet when he sees lots of kids doing that. Or enjoying the fun of the self service ice cream when he sees the other kids doing it.

During school, the kids have a break every so often to let off steam - it's just that I'd prefer it if they don't let off steam around me.

Parents, parents, parents, parents... blah blah blah

Nobody hates good kids. Nobody dislikes being around good kids. (assuming they are in areas where kids are welcome)

The repeated threads about kids and all of the horror stories all have the same basic root - kids behaving badly - and to take it one step further, kids BEING ALLOWED to behave badly.

So... Little Billy NEVER EVER pushed 'extra' elevator buttons before he was on a cruise? Really?

Sweet Suzy ALWAYS sits quietly at dinner and NEVER chews with her mouth open - until she's in a cruise dining room? Really?

Darling Donnie NEVER runs in public areas at home? Really?

It's all crap. You either teach your kids how to be respectful human beings or you don't. There isn't some magic switch that changes their behaviour when they board a cruise ship. Parents know their kids. If yours doesn't sit still in dining rooms, DON'T TAKE THEM THERE. Feed them at the buffet and drop them off at the Kid's Crew before you go to eat. Heck, leave them at home if they don't know how to respect others when you travel!! Whatever you decide, though, be REALISTIC about your kids - and CARE about how their behaviour affects others.

So... that being said, I see 'the kid issue' as no different than 'the chair hog issue', 'the obnoxious drunk issue', or any other 'issue' that you have to deal with as a result of other individuals - ADULTS - not taking responsibility for themselves. In the case of children, the issues arise when parents do not take responsibility for their children, it's as simple as that.

Every time there is a thread like this, parents like me chime in and say, 'It's not all kids, we expect good behaviour and get it,' and other statements to this effect. The reality is, WE'RE not the problem, and neither are our kids. The problem is people who just don't care about how they affect others, and not only does that lead to them not caring how their kids affect others, but it teaches their kids not to care either.

Kids are a LOT of work; I can't imagine a bigger responsibility that we take on by choice. Those of us who take it seriously are just as outraged by bad behaviour as anyone else. The bottom line is that it's ADULTS that are responsible the problems, whether they involve kids or not.

In case I forgot to mention it, the above is all just my opinion. (to which everyone is entitled! :p)

Well said Canaddian Twosome! I whole-heartedly agree as the mother of a well behaved cruising infant.

PS- we cruised with you in Jan on the Pearl, we are going back in November, see you are on the Sky...no Jan Bday cruise for you?

Once again, you know NOTHING about me. Simply because you don't 'understand' my choice to allow my child to miss school to travel, you ASSUME that I 'feel my vacation is more important than my child's education'? :eek:

You clearly missed my point completely - which was about making assumptions about people you know nothing about. On the other hand, I have no problem stating that I absolutely consider three days of exceptional (out of the ordinary) life experience to be more valuable than three days in a classroom where the curriculum is designed to allow the most average of children to learn at a pace they're capable of. This is absolutely NOT the same as considering EDUCATION unimportant or less valuable.

In my opinion, if we left my daughter's education solely up to the school system, we would be incredibly negligent. There is so much more to learn in the world than what is taught at school, and we take every opportunity we can to teach our child whatever we can - which includes supplementing what she's doing academically. We saw an incredible rainbow last night and the three of us (my daughter, my husband, and myself) had a discussion about light, how rainbows work, and why the second arc was a mirror image of the first. She's also currently working on a robotic project with her father and has been known to read her thesaurus for fun.

Here in Canada, by the way, when parents inform the school that they will be taking their child out for travel, it is not considered unexcused, regardless of your personal opinion.

Feel free to reply, but PLEASE refrain from making any more assumptions. Stating an opinion such as 'I think allowing children to miss school is not okay' is completely different than 'Parents who allow children to miss school do so because they don't think education is important'. One is a simple, personal opinion and the other is an assumption about people and choices you know nothing about. I had hoped that I made that point in my first reply, but since you made yet another assumption in yours, I felt the need to explain it again. Hopefully it's more clear now. :)

Fabulous response CT. I couldn't agree more. Education in the classroom is only the starting point and my DW and I consider it our responsibility to give our kids more. There is a big difference between explaining the concept of poverty and exposing your kids to the reality of it in a third world setting; a big difference between looking at the picture of pantheon and standing in the middle of it staring up at the sky through the opening in the roof; a big difference between being taught Roman or Greek history in a classroom and standing in the middle of actual ruins; a big difference between taking an art appreciation class and actually standing in front of the Mona Lisa....

For our next cruise with our kids we are planning 9 days post cruise traveling through France. I expect it to be a great vacation, but for my son who is in late entry french immersion, the experience will be priceless.

P.

Once again, you know NOTHING about me. Simply because you don't 'understand' my choice to allow my child to miss school to travel, you ASSUME that I 'feel my vacation is more important than my child's education'? :eek:

You clearly missed my point completely - which was about making assumptions about people you know nothing about. On the other hand, I have no problem stating that I absolutely consider three days of exceptional (out of the ordinary) life experience to be more valuable than three days in a classroom where the curriculum is designed to allow the most average of children to learn at a pace they're capable of. This is absolutely NOT the same as considering EDUCATION unimportant or less valuable.

In my opinion, if we left my daughter's education solely up to the school system, we would be incredibly negligent. There is so much more to learn in the world than what is taught at school, and we take every opportunity we can to teach our child whatever we can - which includes supplementing what she's doing academically. We saw an incredible rainbow last night and the three of us (my daughter, my husband, and myself) had a discussion about light, how rainbows work, and why the second arc was a mirror image of the first. She's also currently working on a robotic project with her father and has been known to read her thesaurus for fun.

Here in Canada, by the way, when parents inform the school that they will be taking their child out for travel, it is not considered unexcused, regardless of your personal opinion.

Feel free to reply, but PLEASE refrain from making any more assumptions. Stating an opinion such as 'I think allowing children to miss school is not okay' is completely different than 'Parents who allow children to miss school do so because they don't think education is important'. One is a simple, personal opinion and the other is an assumption about people and choices you know nothing about. I had hoped that I made that point in my first reply, but since you made yet another assumption in yours, I felt the need to explain it again. Hopefully it's more clear now. :)

CT , we dont agree often :D But Im behind you all the way on this one ....

mpk

When my kids were growing up, I loved to take them when and where other kids would be present. Now that they are adults, I can take myself when and where other kids are not present:D I hope to have grandchildren one day and I already have several great nieces - can't wait for them to get old enough to cart off for some kid fun - it is not that I don't like kids - its just that I enjoy them less when I don't have any any tow--- Oh, and it is not the kids fault when they act obnoxious, it is their parents fault for not teaching them good manners. I thought my youngest DS was a total terror and disrespectful while growing up, but I kept hammering in those manners to what I thought was a wooden head. Until he became a young man and the compliments came in - I wasn't sure they were actually talking about HIM and not some alien from space:p So I guess he is fine - at least when I am not around;). And on cruise ships, most of the older kids and teens have the run of the ship with no parents in site and some are obnoxious. Again, it only takes a few bad apples. So OP, if you want to make sure that your kids are never given "that look," teach them common courtesy and manners, it is easier to be lazy now, but in the long run you are doing everyone a favor:)

CT , we dont agree often :D But Im behind you all the way on this one ....

mpk

Oh - and to this post - I am also behind you all the way, travel is the best education you can give to your children. It teaches them that there is a big world outside their small one and not be be afraid of those who inhabit it. If you want to give your children a great gift - give them the wonder of travel and a full life:) And if they are well mannered, they can be on the ship with me:D

Somehow I just knew this post would be here this morning! *LOL*

I spoke to a friend this morning that also loves cruising (she has 2 children - me, I'm a DINK *LOL*) and we were talking about this subject. What she said made me laugh out loud:

"We always try and cruise at times when we think there won't be a lot of kids onboard"

*WHACK* !!!!! *LOL*

I told her that's what we TRIED to do also :-) ...... she thought for a minute and said "OoooooHHHhhhhh!!!!!"

So now I think we have another group - couples WITH children that want to cruise with not a lot of kids onboard!

This cracked me up - we are going on the Gemand there are 21 of us 12 adults and 10 kids ranging from 3 years up to 17. I specifically picked a date that I know is not school break around here so there would be less kids. Some people will disagree with taking the children out of school, as long as they are doing well in there studies then I really do not see a problem. My parents did the exact same thing when I was a freshmen in High School.

I am one of those parents that will not sit there and tell my child to keep quiet, I should not put him in a situation that he does not understand. He is 2 1/2 right now - it is not fair to him and others around him. If he is acting up then I will ask him once to please stop or we will need to leave, if he does it again - then we leave. I just cannot give empty threats. I have to follow through so he knows next time I am serious. Again, he is 2 1/2 so it is a work in progress. I will continue this way and try not to disrupt others, plus it is too exhausting and stressful to tell my son to be quiet when they are having a tantrum - usually it is because he is tired, so I do the right thing and take him for a nap. I can't stand when parents say "If you do that one more time then we are leaving" and they just do not follow through, our children are testing us to see what they can get away with. Sometimes it is exhausting to follow through - but it will pay off in the long run! Happy Cruising

Everyone seems to be in agreement that parents are responsible for their children's behavior, my question is what is the responsibility of the cruise line? When should they step in and make a stand? It is, after all, their ship and their business. When they allow these behaviors to go on, it affects other cruisers and possibly their reputation.

Of course kids will be kids, and there will be adults that go beyond acceptable limits but I don't see anything wrong with security stepping in and giving a warning. Take the offenders to their parents, explain what is going on and the consequences for it continues (and then follow through). You would think word would spread pretty quickly on what would be allowed and what is not.

quick question...since i haven't cruised..yet...can't wait till I do though....

Is there nothing posted either in the contract or in the rooms or SOMEWHERE that says something about parents are responsible for your kids do not leave them unattended? Not that there SHOULD be anything like this if you are a parent it should be OBVIOUS that you are responsible...but some people tend to forget that!

I think that if there are kids in an adult only area the security or watever on the boat needs to take the child to the parent and request that they STAY with the parent and if they are found "breaking the rules" again then they will be fined if the parents don't want to pay the money they will make sure their children are not being a problem for others!

What I am really looking for are answers about what they do is it the sight of them, the smell.... what really upsets people about kids? Everyone will make noise at sometime even grown ups.

Trying to figure out what I can do not to upset others so much.

The cruise lines keep building ships with more and more kids activities to invite us and I would like to "feel" welcomed by all.

It is not always a case of how to parent but how to behave as I have seen plenty of grown ups act worse than kids.

Again, we try to stay in our own areas and wish smokers and drunks could do the same.

We really are not as bad as we are being labeled.

Okay, for me, it tends to be the noise. This is particularly true with children in the 0-8 range. Infants tend to shriek -- unexpected, high-pitched sounds. Preschool and young elementary school kids tend to get involved with their playing, and the volume goes up. Again, I think it is a pitch-problem for me--- lower pitched sounds (such as rowdy adult voices) do not bother me as much as high-pitched sounds.

For me, it also has to do with feeling like I always have to be "on", when I'm around kids. I have to be aware -- aware of them, so that if I see they are going to do something to hurt themselves, or damage something, I can intervene, and aware of myself, so I don't do say or do something that would not be appropriate around kids.

Being around older kids and teens doesn't put me on edge as much.

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike kids. But, if I am on vacation, I prefer not to be around small children.

Oh - and to this post - I am also behind you all the way, travel is the best education you can give to your children. It teaches them that there is a big world outside their small one and not be be afraid of those who inhabit it. If you want to give your children a great gift - give them the wonder of travel and a full life:) And if they are well mannered, they can be on the ship with me:D

I agree that travel is a wonderful educational experience. However, since there are only 180 days of school per year, why not limit their travel education to the 185 days that school is not in session?

I agree that travel is a wonderful educational experience. However, since there are only 180 days of school per year, why not limit their travel education to the 185 days that school is not in session?

Simply , becuase then I can not take them to see the Panama Canal ;) ( on a cruise) No cruises during the time frame you are refering to , see , not so easy.

a big difference between looking at the picture of pantheon and standing in the middle of it staring up at the sky through the opening in the roof

the Oculus.

a big difference between taking an art appreciation class and actually standing in front of the Mona Lisa....

Yes...in an art appreciation class, you aren't being jostled by 60 other tourists! :rolleyes:

For our next cruise with our kids we are planning 9 days post cruise traveling through France. I expect it to be a great vacation, but for my son who is in late entry french immersion, the experience will be priceless.

Une tres bonne idee.

travel is the best education.......there is a big world outside....and not be be afraid of those who inhabit it.

Hear, hear!

quick question...since i haven't cruised..yet...can't wait till I do though....

Is there nothing posted either in the contract or in the rooms or SOMEWHERE that says something about parents are responsible for your kids do not leave them unattended? Not that there SHOULD be anything like this if you are a parent it should be OBVIOUS that you are responsible...but some people tend to forget that!

I think that if there are kids in an adult only area the security or watever on the boat needs to take the child to the parent and request that they STAY with the parent and if they are found "breaking the rules" again then they will be fined if the parents don't want to pay the money they will make sure their children are not being a problem for others!

Yes, I believe in the NCL contract it does state that children under a certain age must be accompanied by an adult. It seemed clear to me when I read it that parents, not NCL, are responsible for thier children's actions. It does seem appropriate to me that the cruiselines enforce set rules and step in when things are out of control if nothing else for safety and sea.

I agree with Zeno. Well-behaved children don't bother me at all. I can be tolerant of exuberance and loud voices, running and playing in appropriate areas. But kids can't be expected to know when and where the "appropriate areas" are; they need parental supervision to be able to make that determination.

Parents seem to think that since that since the ship is a "closed" environment, their kids are safe to run around unsupervised. That's not only irresponsible parenting, it's unsafe! There are no laws preventing child molesters from riding on cruise ships, after all.

• Administrators
Yes, I believe in the NCL contract it does state that children under a certain age must be accompanied by an adult. It seemed clear to me when I read it that parents, not NCL, are responsible for thier children's actions. It does seem appropriate to me that the cruiselines enforce set rules and step in when things are out of control if nothing else for safety and sea.

This point has been made over and over on every message board here at Cruise Critic -- the cruiseline should enforce: no saving chairs, no saving seats in the theater, noise rules, smoking areas, no kids in the adult pool/hot tub, and so on.

Why don't they do it more often? Passengers. In the media and on these and other message boards and blogs I've read many reports of things like:

1) parents filing complaints against crew (sometimes including manufactured claims against the crew member, as a poster here recently shared in telling the tale of a hapless crew member who had tried to remind a teen of a rule), 2) people removing all tips in a snit because they were asked to obey the rules, and so on.

What cruiseline employee, desperately dependent on their job and the tips they earn there, is going to feel free to take these actions against paying passengers and risk losing their tips, being disciplined, being fired, or even being arrested?

The only way for that to work is for the cruiseline to empower its employees and to stop siding with the passengers over the crew (which I doubt will ever happen -- too many people (particularly Americans) believe "the customer is always right, even when he or she is wrong").

I will say I've recently read on the RCCL board about a crackdown on chair hogging, and on my Carnival cruise this summer I witnessed the security staff enforcing the adult hot tub rules (and I witnessed two moms and one dad in separate instances blasting those employees in loud and crude terms for asking the children to leave the hot tubs, too). And in REALLY bad cases -- vandalism, drugs, etc. -- we do hear of passengers and families being removed from ships.

Archived