LOBSTER-Halifax/St John

Hi, anyone have ideas on where to go to get lobster and mussels in St John or Halifax. We are not really interested in the big tourist restaurants. A local pub or restaurant is what we are looking for. Thanks Bill

In Saint John: www.billysseafood.com located in the historic city market.

I'll make this easy for me as I am out of time. Go to tripadvisor the Nova Scotia and New Brunswick forums and do a search. This question has been asked many times. The best fish restaurant in downtown Halifax is McKelvie's. imho

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not looking for the fanciest, I'm looking for the least expensive fresh cooked lobster near the pier. Any recommendations?

Would be happy to find someone with a steampot and a picnic table! :)

Steamer's in Saint John is just that - picnic tables and steamer pot outside and is located directly across from Marco Polo / Pugsley cruise terminal. As for price - lobster tends to be the same price per pound wherever you go.

You can buy fresh cooked lobster in supermarkets. Sometimes they even cook one up for you while you wait. There is a Superstore on Barrington Street very near the port. If it is not too cold you could find a place outdoors to eat it, or even take it back to the ship.

Another place to get lobster in Halifax is Murphy's on the water. This is a 10 - 15 minute walk along the harbourfront from your ship. It caters to tourists, but then we locals cook and eat our lobster at home!

Good info.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the ships will ALLOW us to bring cooked lobster onboard?

2. What is currently the market price for lobster?

Thank you.

Good questions. I would think that if the lobster is cooked it would be OK. As for the price, does it matter? You will probably do it anyway! ;)

In an email reply from a local market, they told me the ships frown upon passengers taking cooked lobster on board the ship. Some cruise ships may be more restrictive than just frowning.

Yes, I am going to buy it anyway. Good point. I was informed the market price is $6.50 to $6.95 currently.

As well as Murphys on the Boardwalk,about 6. city blocks from the Pier and 1 block up (cor of Prince & Hollis Sts) Bluenose Resteraunt or if you want a little more upscale Mc Kelvies (old Bedford Row fire station converted) located cor of Bedford Row and Prince St (4 blocks from arch by Pier HARBOUR WALK You can also pick up these locations on Google Earth Enjoy your stay in Halifax

In an email reply from a local market, they told me the ships frown upon passengers taking cooked lobster on board the ship. Some cruise ships may be more restrictive than just frowning.

Yes, I am going to buy it anyway. Good point. I was informed the market price is $6.50 to $6.95 currently.

Those prices should be for uncooked lobster, cooked will run around $10.00 t0 $15.00 depending wehere there bought

Archived