Magnets for Air-Conditioner???

winakork

I read in another post people making refence to using fridge magnets on the sliding balcony doors to avoid having the a/c shut down when you open the slider to get some fresh air in the cabin. Anyone have any idea what type of magnets everyone is talking about??? THANX!

I didn't know the a/c shut down when you opened the door. I don't think ours did. We didn't leave our door open because it was hot outside & we didn't want the hot air coming inside. Even if the a/c is running while the door is open, it's not very effective, as the blower isn't that strong. Do you leave your a/c on at home & open the windows? Doesn't make sense to me, but our weather is pretty extreme, so no open windows or doors here.

I was just asking not in a wasteful way, but people mentioned every time they went out to the balcony, the A/C shut down and the room warmed up very quickly being in the Caribbean! The magnets helped prevent the shut-down while the door was opened and closed to enter and exit.

I was just asking not in a wasteful way, but people mentioned every time they went out to the balcony, the A/C shut down and the room warmed up very quickly being in the Caribbean! The magnets helped prevent the shut-down while the door was opened and closed to enter and exit.

Never fool or circumvent a safety feature. It puts people at risk, maybe even including yourself.

I've never noticed a problem with the balcony rooms we've had after propping the door open for a bit, so either the air didn't shut off, or it wasn't that uncomfortable to us if it did. We've never messed with trying to "trick" it or used magnets or anything like that.

I didn't know the a/c shut down when you opened the door. I don't think ours did. We didn't leave our door open because it was hot outside & we didn't want the hot air coming inside. Even if the a/c is running while the door is open, it's not very effective, as the blower isn't that strong. Do you leave your a/c on at home & open the windows? Doesn't make sense to me, but our weather is pretty extreme, so no open windows or doors here.

It does shut down. When we were on the Emerald Princess our sliding door use to slide open very easy. In the middle of the night it shut the air off and set the smoke detector off and we got a siren drill with lights flashing and an automated phone call telling us to grab our life jackets and go to our muster stations. That night was a night to remember.:p

Our door on Conquest was a hinged door, not sliding. Anyway, we didn't even consider leaving it open. Ya wanna be warm, go outside. Ya wanna be cool, stay inside. Heck, at home we even keep the blinds shut to help keep the house cool.

It used to be a common packing tip to bring a magnet for the balcony door. I for one have tried the magnet a couple of times, but for the life of me cant figure out where its supposed to go. Also, the door frame is not magnetic. Believe me, as small as the cabins are, it only takes a few minutes to cool off once you close the door. We leave our door open all the time! Thats why we get a balcony cabin, so we can feel the breeze and hear the waves. Its awesome! Don't forget your bungee cord! Thats a must!

Thanks John! :rolleyes:

Turn an AC on, and open a window, and the AC will run continuously to keep the set temp, which it no longer can accomplish.

This causes a power draw. Now imagine too many people doing this in one section of the ship. :eek:

Post count +1.

Turn an AC on, and open a window, and the AC will run continuously to keep the set temp, which it no longer can accomplish.

This causes a power draw. Now imagine too many people doing this in one section of the ship. :eek:

Post count +1.

Oh you know what thats right I forgot thats how Elvis died :eek:

We used a chair to prop open the door on the Inspiration and I am almost positive the air went off. We got way too hot and promptly closed the door back. The air was very humid, which made the cabin uncomfortable.

And the increased power draw "puts people at risk" how?

And the increased power draw "puts people at risk" how?

Good question! In fact the AC system is not a safety feature it is a comfort feature. The compressors on the ship run constantly to keep the public areas comfortable. So even if every balcony door were propped open and the AC was rigged to stay on the extra power needed would be minimal.

Archived