Poll: A year later; do you re-live your Alaska Experience?

SEPyle

Exactly one year ago, we were in Alaska enjoying every moment of every day. Each day I think back to that day one year ago, and think about our experiences. My husband looks at me with that 'wierd' look everytime I say...just think; one year ago today we were....

Am I the only one or do others do what I do? We were with our friend tonight who was with us on our trip. I asked him if he thinks back. He said he bets woman do what I do and men don't?

Am I the only one????

Not sure if we'll still be doing it a year from now, but we are still looking back at last week's cruise longingly. The first night home, DH asked DS15 if he'd gotten a snack and he replied "No, I couldn't find the buffet...." :D

We just went to Alaska on our Honeymoon. Now I am thinking that we need to go back every year for our Anniversary! Living in the Seattle area, we don't have to worry about airfare. All I need to do is find a good rate, even if it means settling for an inside cabin. Still need to convince my husband... :D

I don't think about it, I just repeat it :) Since my first cruise in 1995 I've sailed to Alaska 11 times (14 if you count B2B's) Funny part is that each time I stll seem to come home with a bunch of photos

Exactly one year ago, we were in Alaska enjoying every moment of every day. Each day I think back to that day one year ago, and think about our experiences. My husband looks at me with that 'wierd' look everytime I say...just think; one year ago today we were....

Am I the only one or do others do what I do? We were with our friend tonight who was with us on our trip. I asked him if he thinks back. He said he bets woman do what I do and men don't?

Am I the only one????

For some people an Alaska cruise is a one time adventure, but some people get hooked on Alaska. We did. Our first cruise there was in 2000. We've gone back four more times. We started with a R/T from Vancouver, then a Southbound from Seward then a 12 day R/T from San Francisco. Then we did a 14 day b2b and this summer we sailed north on one ship, stayed in Seward a couple of days and sailed south on a different ship. We really want to go back next summer, but we may have to wait until 2011.

It sounds like you are hooked. Hopefully, your DH will will want to go back also. Since my DW and I are both in love with Alaska we are both always ready to return.

PS Your husband is wrong, it's not just women.

I relived my first cruise for five years before I went back this summer and loved it just as much. I'm thinking, though, that next time I'd like to hit the high spots (for me that's Hoonah and Juneau and I would very much like to see Sitka), perhaps using the Marine ferry. Has anybody tried this for any or all of the towns I've described and is it remotely practical?

I must say I envy people who live on the west coast. We're from Charlotte NC and airfare is always an added expense. Next year we are hopefully making another trip...come on 2010!

Well, I sometimes envy those on the east coast... I've never been on a Caribbean cruise and am not likely to do so any time soon, with the cost of airfare being the biggest factor.

I don't think about it, I just repeat it :) Since my first cruise in 1995 I've sailed to Alaska 11 times (14 if you count B2B's) Funny part is that each time I stll seem to come home with a bunch of photos

11 or 14 I think that is great. We will be leaving Sunday for Vancouver and the Island Princess just our 4th time, but if we live long enough we will go a few more times.

We relive our cruises every day there on the computer, all the pictures that is.:cool:

I see you were on the original Crown three times. We were also 91 our very first one, 92 and 94. Love that ship.:D

Jack

for the lovely and talented

I must say I envy people who live on the west coast. We're from Charlotte NC and airfare is always an added expense. Next year we are hopefully making another trip...come on 2010!

We're on the west coast, but down near L.A. so our airfare for our Alaska cruise was about $1400. :eek:

Am I the only one????

We have re-booked for Alaska for 2010. This will be our 6th trip in as many years. :D.

I took my first Alaska cruise in July 2005 and have been longing to go back ever since. Funny thing is that before I found this thread tonight, I got my Alaska cruise photo album/scrapbook out and relived the whole trip. I even checked 2010 prices. Even after 5 years I can't get Alaska out of my head. I hope my budget will allow me to go back next year. :)

For some people an Alaska cruise is a one time adventure, but some people get hooked on Alaska. We did. Our first cruise there was in 2000. We've gone back four more times. We started with a R/T from Vancouver, then a Southbound from Seward then a 12 day R/T from San Francisco. Then we did a 14 day b2b and this summer we sailed north on one ship, stayed in Seward a couple of days and sailed south on a different ship. We really want to go back next summer, but we may have to wait until 2011.

It sounds like you are hooked. Hopefully, your DH will will want to go back also. Since my DW and I are both in love with Alaska we are both always ready to return.

PS Your husband is wrong, it's not just women.

Trust me; we're both hooked! In 2005 my husband first said he wanted to go to Alaska. It just wasn't where I wanted to cruise. I finally booked it; began researching; and by the time we left I could hardly wait! That's when our Alaska love affair began! We've been three times since 2005; the only reason we don't go every year is that life gets in the way. In 2007 the birth of our first granddaughter became a priority and this year a daughter is getting married. So next year: Here we come!!!

I agree...my husband is just wrong!

Yes, I think about it every day. My addiction to the Alaska boards of Cruise Critic doesn't help! Look at the photos or videos often, pour over Fodors and Frommers travel books, etc. We're going back for the 3rd time for HAL's new 14 day itinerary on May 31, 2010, so I"m in holding pattern til then. But that is the fun part - researching, reading, talking to people about it, etc. Its just a magical place, isn't it? Steals your heart and you can never get it back. DH wants to move there....maybe some day, actually wouldn't take much convincing on my part!:rolleyes:

Trust me; we're both hooked! In 2005 my husband first said he wanted to go to Alaska. It just wasn't where I wanted to cruise. I finally booked it; began researching; and by the time we left I could hardly wait! That's when our Alaska love affair began! We've been three times since 2005; the only reason we don't go every year is that life gets in the way. In 2007 the birth of our first granddaughter became a priority and this year a daughter is getting married. So next year: Here we come!!!

I agree...my husband is just wrong!

Yes, you are hooked!! Have all of your Alaska cruises been 7 days? Now that we have done longer cruises there I don't know if 7 days will be long enough for us in the future. Holland America has a new itinerary next summer (14 days) that goes to Kodiak, Anchorage and Homer in addition to the more familiar ports. I really like that itinerary. There are also some 11 and 12 days on Celebrity in May and September that cruise from California to Vancouver and Vancouver to California with more Alaska ports than the 7 day cruises. Those also look good.

Ok, now you have me wanting to book another cruise when I know that I need to wait until 2010 to go back. Oh well, one can wish and dream. :cool:

Am I the only one????

Boy, you sound just like me! On June 30th, I said to my husband, "Just think, on this day 2 years ago, we were leaving to go to Alaska!" Well, now I can say, "Just think, we will be going back to Alaska next May!". I am hooked, too! I would go every year if we could afford it. I think it's been rare that not one day has gone by since our first trip in '07 that I haven't thought about it. Can't wait for next May!

Archived