How close is the pier to downtown Willemstad?

cruzincanuck

I was planning to walk from the pier (where the Adventure of the Seas docks) to downtown Willemstad however I do not recall how long the walk is from our previous trip in 2004. As we will have my husband's aunt with us (83 years young ;)) I want to make sure that the walk is reasonable. How much time will it take us ?

As a alternative, are there any taxis are the pier who can bring us to the downtown area? cost?

• 3 weeks later...

If you dock at the Megapier, you will walk through the newly built Renaissance Resort towards the Fort - 15 minute walk along the water then past the shops and restaurants.

If you dock near the Floating Pontoon Bridge and Ferry, you will see the colorful buildings of Punda from your ship, 5 minutes away.

If you dock at the Megapier, you will walk through the newly built Renaissance Resort towards the Fort - 15 minute walk along the water then past the shops and restaurants.

If you dock near the Floating Pontoon Bridge and Ferry, you will see the colorful buildings of Punda from your ship, 5 minutes away.

Thanks Dushi for the info :D

• 2 weeks later...

But it is ALSO very breezy there (unless there is a hurricane in the Caribbean) so make sure your umbrella is a sturdy one!

Large sun hats are good too for the elderly.

Be reminded that if your ship docks at the mega pier, the Taxi will have to take you the LONG way to get to downtown Punda. It cannot drive across the swinging bridge and so it will have to go over the large bridge (towards the refineries.)

Not sure how much the taxis will cost but the local bus vans are quite inexpensive and do the same thing. Just a thought... :)

• 1 month later...

I noticed that there is an Avis car rental desk at both the Mege Pier and the Renaissance Hotel. They seem to be located very close to each other. Does anyone know the distance between the two and is there an advantage to booking at one one location over the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We walked off the ship right over to the taxi stand. The published rate is $15 for one to four people. The taxi has to take the long way over the tall bridge to get to the downtown area. We didn't realize how easy the walk was and made sure to take the floating bridge route to walk back.

• 3 weeks later...

lillulu-

I haven't checked the CUR Boards in a while. I hope this response is not too late. When we were on the HAL Rotterdam, we docked at the Megapier but that was because there were two Italian cruise ships already docked near the Ferry stand under the big Queen Emma Bridge.

jshli-

The Renaissance Hotel is 5 minutes from the Megapier. The only advantage is that it may be air conditioned while at the Pier, it is an open, tented area. The Millenium is a larger ship so it will probably dock at the Megapier.

Archived