Is this bait and switch?

teaach

Teddy, Teddy,

We cannot just read the words we like. We have to read ALL the words. The OP did NOT have a 50% discount on a future Carnival cruise. The OP had a 50% discount on a 3-7 day future Carnival cruise.

Carnival GAVE him 35% off an 8 day cruise when he had NO claim for a discount on a 8 day cruise. What if he had booked a 15 day transatlantic cruise. 50% off that would be more than he paid for his rerouted cruise. And Carnival actually owed NOTHING for that, but gave him 50% off a future 3-7 day cruise.

Teddy, Teddy,

We cannot just read the words we like. We have to read ALL the words. The OP did NOT have a 50% discount on a future Carnival cruise. The OP had a 50% discount on a 3-7 day future Carnival cruise.

Carnival GAVE him 35% off an 8 day cruise when he had NO claim for a discount on a 8 day cruise. What if he had booked a 15 day transatlantic cruise. 50% off that would be more than he paid for his rerouted cruise. And Carnival actually owed NOTHING for that, but gave him 50% off a future 3-7 day cruise.

Dan how kind of you to stop by...I thought I was on "Ignore". I guess you just can't resist me. ;) I have changed my mind on this issue. I think the OP should be Damned to H*ll for misreading/misunderstanding the WORDS and then trying to screw Carnival out of their $$$. I'm right there with you guys on this one.

.....you're trying to screw Carnival. The letter clearly states 3-7 day cruise.

Bad cruiser! Bad cruiser!

:eek:

wasiii

The "Bad Guy" here is the OP, not Carnival. ken

quit putting your hand out and complaining. Geesh, be lucky you can afford to cruise at all and take it as that.

..and the OP asked a question, then expressed a feeling?

Is this a bait and switch? No. Is the customer disappointed with Carnival's response? Yes. So it is a customer service/customer perception issue.

There are certain things that are within the power of a PVP to grant, and other things that go beyond their authority. I would try to find someone a little higher up in Carnival customer service who has the power and authority to authorize the larger discount.

I am a strong believer in "it's easier to catch flies with honey." It is important throughout your dealings with Carnival to communicate that you are grateful for the effort and consideration offered. You are grateful to Carnival for extending this offer. But in Carnival's effort to handle a huge disappointment with your last cruise, there was a screw-up when Carnival initially gave you incorrect info, got you all excited about making up for that last cruise and now, another disappointment.

Explain that Carnival obviously wants to sell this cruise. You want to book this cruise. It just takes a little bit more to make this happen. Is Carnival willing to work with you and think outside the box?

First, you are talking about an extra day (8 days instead of 7 days). It's not like you are going from a 4-day to a 14-day cruise. Would Carnival be willing to apply the discount to 7 of the 8 days (although I don't know whether those numbers come out better than a straight 35%!)? Does Carnival benefit by having you aboard its ships for an extra day? What kind of flexibility can you offer in exchange -- e.g., guaranteed stateroom (who knows what you end up with) versus your ideal location.

If Carnival can easily fill this particular cruise, it may be a lost cause. There is no incentive to offer you any discounts and you might want to take your 35% and run with it. But if you can acknowledge that Carnival has something to gain by being generous for just one day more, you might get your added discount. If not, you've invested only time.

Is this a bait and switch? No. Is the customer disappointed with Carnival's response? Yes. So it is a customer service/customer perception issue.

There are certain things that are within the power of a PVP to grant, and other things that go beyond their authority. I would try to find someone a little higher up in Carnival customer service who has the power and authority to authorize the larger discount.

I am a strong believer in "it's easier to catch flies with honey." It is important throughout your dealings with Carnival to communicate that you are grateful for the effort and consideration offered. You are grateful to Carnival for extending this offer. But in Carnival's effort to handle a huge disappointment with your last cruise, there was a screw-up when Carnival initially gave you incorrect info, got you all excited about making up for that last cruise and now, another disappointment.

Explain that Carnival obviously wants to sell this cruise. You want to book this cruise. It just takes a little bit more to make this happen. Is Carnival willing to work with you and think outside the box?

First, you are talking about an extra day (8 days instead of 7 days). It's not like you are going from a 4-day to a 14-day cruise. Would Carnival be willing to apply the discount to 7 of the 8 days (although I don't know whether those numbers come out better than a straight 35%!)? Does Carnival benefit by having you aboard its ships for an extra day? What kind of flexibility can you offer in exchange -- e.g., guaranteed stateroom (who knows what you end up with) versus your ideal location.

If Carnival can easily fill this particular cruise, it may be a lost cause. There is no incentive to offer you any discounts and you might want to take your 35% and run with it. But if you can acknowledge that Carnival has something to gain by being generous for just one day more, you might get your added discount. If not, you've invested only time.

I think you summed it up very nicely. Carnival will only WIN by working WITH previous disappointed passengers, not against them. I know I'll be blasted for not siding with Carnival on this issue, but hey someones got to do it. :)

Using the OP's numbers and applying a 50% discount to 7 of the 8 days results in a discount of $735.00 OP said Carnival made his discount $699.00 A $35. dollar difference and if the OP rounded off his numbers that could account for the small difference. So I'd say Carnival DID give him 50% off 7 of the days.

Using the OP's numbers and applying a 50% discount to 7 of the 8 days results in a discount of $735.00 OP said Carnival made his discount $699.00 A $35. dollar difference and if the OP rounded off his numbers that could account for the small difference. So I'd say Carnival DID give him 50% off 7 of the days.

Hmmmmm....New math?

Archived