Is this bait and switch?

teaach

:D funny.

I also have one of those letters (not for 50% off, however ;) just 15%) and it is very clear about what I can get 15% off of.

I probably won't use mine as it is only good for a 3 to 5 day cruise and I am trying not to book any more short ones. I wouldn't consider asking them to apply it to a longer one.

The letter is short, so it's not like to have to wade through a lot to find any hidden small print.

As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to extend to you and Mr ******* ****** a 15% discount on a future 3 to 5 day Carnival cruise (excluding Alaska, Christmas, New Years and chartered sailings). This offer must be redeemed within 24 months and may be combined with our super saver rates. This is non transferable and is applicable toward only the cruise portion of your fare. Your Travel Agent need only inform Carnival of the discount at the time of reservation and forward the original letter to our Guest solutions Department.

Just a suggestion so that you do not lose your discount ... since you do not like shorter cruises.....book a 4 and 5 (or 5 and 5 day) BTB.

We did this on the Imagination in 2008 and each cruise went to different ports.

Since we stayed in the same cabin for both sailings...it was like a 10 day cruise.

I called Carrnival today and booked an 8 day Early Saver cruise to Nassau from NY in April 2010 in a 8D balcony cabin. My Dh and myself had a 50%off next cruise letter from Gerry Cahill because we didn't stop at any Mexican ports on the Splendor,4/26/09, due to Swine Flu. I was first quoted an $840. discount and I was very happy with that. An hour later I received a call from my PVP saying a supervisor told her that the discount would be 35% instead of 50%, going from an $840 discount to a $699 one. The reason given was that the letter stated the 50% discount was for a 3-7 day cruise and the one I selected was an 8 day cruise. I should not have been quoted one price and then wound up with the lower discount. There is only one othe cruise from NY that fits the criteria. It's a 6 day cruise to Bermuda offered once a year. All other cruises from NY are 8 days. I composed a strong letter to Mr. Cahill stating my objections. Last year's unfortunate cruise was made right with the 50% discount and now I seem to be getting screwed again. I am sending the letter return receipt requested.

quit putting your hand out and complaining. Geesh, be lucky you can afford to cruise at all and take it as that.

Carnival offered a 50% discount on cruises within a certain price range. Imagine if someone decide to use that on a world cruise and save thousands of dollars?? It actually makes sense. The longer the cruise, the higher the price, the higher the dollar amount of discount they would have to offer. Apparently, they were willing to go only so high to credit for the inconvenience of missing Mexican ports.

Perhaps the OP could take a cruise from a different port - maybe Maryland? That way the coupon could be used to its full advantage and the OP would have broader choices.

Just would like to know if you utilized any of the services that day (or week on the ship) or did you starve and not use the bathrooms?

What does this have to do with the price of Tea in China? :)

BTW, Live life with your eyes wide open, you'll see alot more that way.

I agree with almost all (Ted's way off in left field somewhere).

Sorry GL, I guess I am out in left field. I do now realize Carnival DOESN'T have to do anything they don't want to and will I'm sure reap the benefits for those actions. That's good customer service.

Sorry the OP tried to get one over and when they got caught they feel like they're getting screwed.:confused:

Bill

Hey Bill, I didn't know that you had attained the ability to crawl inside someones mind through cyberspace to decide what their motives were. Can you also tell what they had for breakfast? :)

I was quoted the wrong price. It was for a five day cruise and we are taking a seven day cruise. The PVP catch is mistake and quoted the right price. I think they have alot to deal with, with all the discounts and stuff. I agreeeee you are lucky you got a 35% discount.

Guest bahamamama1
1. It's not a bait and switch because the OP didn't pay for anything and then have the price jacked up on them.

THAT is a very good point !

Just would like to know if you utilized any of the services that day (or week on the ship) or did you starve and not use the bathrooms?

What in the world does this have to do with anything:confused:

OP sounds like a misunderstanding on both sides........hey all you can do is ask again for the 50% letting them know about the misunderstanding, who knows they might just do it........

Otherwise be happy with the 35%.......or book a 7 dayer.......

Apples and oranges, the OPs story has nothing to do with bait and switch:

In retail sales, a bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the party putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product or service at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is. This term has lots of other meanings, even outside of the marketing sense.

The goal of the bait-and-switch is to convince some buyers to purchase the substitute good as a means of avoiding disappointment over not getting the bait, or as a way to recover sunk costs expended to try to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or product advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin. Other advertising practices, such as the use of sales techniques to steer customers away from low-profit items, depend on many of the same psychological mechanisms as a bait and switch.

I wish Carnival would offer me 35% off. I have had three Carnival cruises rerouted and have never recieved any compensation. Nor was I due any.

Not a bait and switch, the letter says 3-7 days, you chose an 8 day, and they still gave you a discount. One, because that is good customer service. The original agent could have caught the "booboo" at the time of the call, and said, that is not an option for this discount, and you would be looking for another crusise to take. Instead they made an error, their boss caught it, and instead of cancelling the transaction, you got a great deal. They only go once a year to Bermuda, and Bermuda is heaven on earth. Enjoy.

What does this have to do with the price of Tea in China? :)

BTW, Live life with your eyes wide open, you'll see alot more that way.

It didn't have anything to do with Disneyland either! That was you out in LEFT FIELD. The person that you first quoted was trying to say that they were still on the cruise ship and to find some joy in that. (do you think any services that ship still did offer that week they might have still used?) Sounds like you have your eyes closed or shut really tight. :(

What in the world does this have to do with anything:confused:

OP sounds like a misunderstanding on both sides........hey all you can do is ask again for the 50% letting them know about the misunderstanding, who knows they might just do it........

Otherwise be happy with the 35%.......or book a 7 dayer.......

This was tedjazz attempt at being funny with my quote back to him! I couldn't agree more with you. The OP of Bait and Switch might have misunderstood their letter and the PVP might have misunderstood the OP. Things got corrected. Maybe the OP should be happy with 35%...or book a 7 dayer....Great point:)!!!!

I called Carrnival today and booked an 8 day Early Saver cruise to Nassau from NY in April 2010 in a 8D balcony cabin. My Dh and myself had a 50%off next cruise letter from Gerry Cahill because we didn't stop at any Mexican ports on the Splendor,4/26/09, due to Swine Flu. I was first quoted an $840. discount and I was very happy with that. An hour later I received a call from my PVP saying a supervisor told her that the discount would be 35% instead of 50%, going from an $840 discount to a $699 one. The reason given was that the letter stated the 50% discount was for a 3-7 day cruise and the one I selected was an 8 day cruise. I should not have been quoted one price and then wound up with the lower discount. There is only one othe cruise from NY that fits the criteria. It's a 6 day cruise to Bermuda offered once a year. All other cruises from NY are 8 days. I composed a strong letter to Mr. Cahill stating my objections. Last year's unfortunate cruise was made right with the 50% discount and now I seem to be getting screwed again. I am sending the letter return receipt requested.

I too was on board the same Splendor cruise you were and received the 50% off letter. It was very specific about the length of cruises it could be applied to. The longest cruise was the 7 day cruises. This limited us to using it on our April cruises since we prefer an 8 day fall cruise. While I understand your situation the PVP made an error in quoting you a price most likely because they were not aware that the 50% discount does not apply to your 8 day cruise. Actually if they are willing to let you use the discount on the 8 day at 35% you should be greatful. I'm sorry probably not what you wanted to hear :( We ALL read that letter with an excited anticipation of what the resolution was going to be. It clearly stated the terms.

It didn't have anything to do with Disneyland either! That was you out in LEFT FIELD. The person that you first quoted was trying to say that they were still on the cruise ship and to find some joy in that. (do you think any services that ship still did offer that week they might have still used?) Sounds like you have your eyes closed or shut really tight. :(

I was on that cruise and very happy with the 50% discount. Actually in my letter to Carnival expessing my unhappiness with the way the situation was handled I actually asked for an OBC towards my next cruise of $200. LOL Glad they didn't listen and made me take that 50% (how dare they)lol.

Anyhow I did enjoy the Splendor for the 7 days we were on board. We made some awesome friends and while it was not my favorite cruise experience it will be something that I won't forget :) Ted's comparison to Disney doesn't even come close. Sorry Ted but in this case you aren't even in the ballpark ;)

The person that you first quoted was trying to say that they were still on the cruise ship and to find some joy in that. (do you think any services that ship still did offer that week they might have still used?)

Ted's comparison to Disney doesn't even come close. Sorry Ted but in this case you aren't even in the ballpark ;)

Since both of you feel the need to address this matter with me, let me tell you my take on this issue. The OP felt they had been taken advantage of because of something that appears to be a misunderstanding with Carnival. I don't know and neither do either of you. The OP was undoubtedly a little or alot disappointed by missing the Warm Mexican Ports of Call on their April Splendor Cruise? I don't blame Carnival for missing the ports, but I don't call the OP names because they we understandably disappointed and as a consequence or alternate, recieved a 50% discount on another Carnival Cruise which turned out to be 35%. You seem to be vilifying the OP because they felt and expressed that they had been cheated. It seems reasonable for them to feel this way. I guess it's not possible for you to see how OTHER people might feel that way. My comment about Disneyland was an analogy about really wanting to go somewhere and experience something only to be disappointed, but then someone telling you, hey just shut up and be thankful you got to be there. Sometimes being there is JUST not enough.

CCL could have given them a free cruise and you'd still say bad customer service.

Ahhh, there in lies the problem, your definition of Customer Service. I have worked in some kind of customer service all of my work life and have never looked at it as "getting some tangible thing". Customer Service to me is an "experience" not a possession and I have worked with thousands of people in a Customer Service situation and actually have given little "tangible" goodies like "a free cruise" or free anything related for that matter. Customer Service to me is listening to the concern, problem or issue... Discussing and resolving the situation with the customer and rendering a decision that ends in a win/win for both the customer and the entity I am representing. I can tell you first hand that I have dealt with Carnival on Customer Service matters and they have, let us say, "dropped the ball". I can relate to what the OP has posted and have empathy for their situation. It's too bad others can't see any other side except Carnival's. That Carnival Cheerleader repuation didn't come by accident.

Since both of you feel the need to address this matter with me, let me tell you my take on this issue. The OP felt they had been taken advantage of because of something that appears to be a misunderstanding with Carnival. I don't know and neither do either of you. The OP was undoubtedly a little or alot disappointed by missing the Warm Mexican Ports of Call on their April Splendor Cruise? I don't blame Carnival for missing the ports, but I don't call the OP names because they we understandably disappointed and as a consequence or alternate, recieved a 50% discount on another Carnival Cruise which turned out to be 35%. You seem to be vilifying the OP because they felt and expressed that they had been cheated. It seems reasonable for them to feel this way. I guess it's not possible for you to see how OTHER people might feel that way. My comment about Disneyland was an analogy about really wanting to go somewhere and experience something only to be disappointed, but then someone telling you, hey just shut up and be thankful you got to be there. Sometimes being there is JUST not enough.

Ted did you read my post??? I was on the same cruise as the OP. I was equally disappointed and very greatful for the 50% off a future cruise. I never said the OP wasn't entitled to feel cheated by the Splendor cruise. That was NOT the issue they presented here. The issue was the bait and switch comment because they were not given a full 50% off an 8 day cruise. That in itself was not included in the discount we received as a result of the Swine Flu Cruise as I now refer to it as. Plain and simple you can't be mad at a company because they take your word on having an elgible discount then when they find the terms of that discount and find that it is not elgible for said discount.

If I had known they would extend the discount to an 8 day sailing at a 35% discount believe me I would have gladly used it on an 8 day fall sailing next year. Instead I had it applied to my April Dream booking since I really prefer to do an 8 day sailing in the fall.

Again I don't think anyone on this thread said the OP or the thousands of fellow passengers aboard the Splendor should not have felt cheated. The issue was is Carnival screwing or cheating the OP by not allowing a full 50% off discount on an 8 day sailing. Plain and simple.

With so many negatives being posted about Carnival, I think giving you 35% off an 8 day cruise when your letter states that it is good for 3-7 day cruises, you should be praising Carnival rather than thinking you are getting shafted.

Sorry, but I think you are lucky to get anything when you aren't following the rules to start with. Count your blessings!!

carnivals offer of 50% off a future cruise was extremely clear to me....not sure what all the fuss is about....beyond that, I think carnival was very generous with their terms...I was booked in a cat 4a on the splendor, I used the 50% to get into a cat 8a on the dream....if carnival was being tight, that would have never flown...and now im also getting discounts off that cruise because they let me still book it as early saver.....

You accuse Carnival of some vile business practice?

It says 3-7 day, you have the letter.

They found the error, offered you a considerable discount anyway when they could have called you and merely cancelled the whole deal and gave you the money back!

What your you complaining about?

Because Carnival does not offer a 3-7 day cruise from your preferred departure city you find them to be practicing "bait and switch" (which it is not...but that is purely a lack of understanding the definition by the OP)?

Kudos to Carnival for stepping up and making a pretty darn fair offering!!!!

Archived