Is this bait and switch?

teaach

I called Carrnival today and booked an 8 day Early Saver cruise to Nassau from NY in April 2010 in a 8D balcony cabin. My Dh and myself had a 50%off next cruise letter from Gerry Cahill because we didn't stop at any Mexican ports on the Splendor,4/26/09, due to Swine Flu. I was first quoted an $840. discount and I was very happy with that. An hour later I received a call from my PVP saying a supervisor told her that the discount would be 35% instead of 50%, going from an $840 discount to a $699 one. The reason given was that the letter stated the 50% discount was for a 3-7 day cruise and the one I selected was an 8 day cruise. I should not have been quoted one price and then wound up with the lower discount. There is only one othe cruise from NY that fits the criteria. It's a 6 day cruise to Bermuda offered once a year. All other cruises from NY are 8 days. I composed a strong letter to Mr. Cahill stating my objections. Last year's unfortunate cruise was made right with the 50% discount and now I seem to be getting screwed again. I am sending the letter return receipt requested.

This one is actually a tough call. It seems the 50% discount was very fair to begin with and the letter clearly stated that it was for a 3-7 day cruise. In effect, Carnival did not have to offer ANY discount for the 8 day cruise.

The fact that the OP is limiting their choices to New York sailings also doesn't fly (or sail). There are numerous other ports with hundreds of choices.

I wasn't aware there was a limit to the number of days for the discounted cruise. I just didn't like being quoted one price and then having it changed. The letter says you should make your reservations in the normal manner, whether it be TA or Carnival directly.

I don't think it is a bait and switch.

It sounds like it was initially an oversight by the PVP who did not catch the 8 day.

Since 8 day cruises are not the normal thing for Carnival....the PVP goofed.

I currently have a letter for a 15% discount for a 3-5 day cruise. I would not expect Carnival to allow me to use it on a 7 day or higher cruise.

If it says 3 to 7 days, then theoretically they didn't have to give you any discount for the 8 day (note I said IF. I don't know what the letter said as I don't have one, just don't want to get flamed). Also, limiting yourself to NY cruises isn't Carnival's concern. You could drive to Baltimore or fly to various ports.

I don't know about your offer but I also book my cruises through a PVP. Same one every time because he is the BEST!! :)

When we book with a military discount our PVP has to book the cruise and then have his manager make the appropriate changes for the discount (although he can quote the appropriate cost). Could be that the PVP didn't know that an 8 day cruise wasn't eligible for the full 50% discount since this isn't a discount that is normally offered and is a special concession that certain cruisers were offered because of the Swine Flu.

Did Carnival give you something in writing that you can review for accuracy? I too hate being told one thing and then having it changed but mistakes are made and just think of how you would have felt if you would have gotten a bigger discount. Would that have been a bait and switch? :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware there was a limit to the number of days for the discounted cruise. I just didn't like being quoted one price and then having it changed. The letter says you should make your reservations in the normal manner, whether it be TA or Carnival directly.

It clearly states....

"...hope you will accept our offer of a 50% cruise fare discount on a future 3 to 7 day Carnival Vacation, departing before December 2010."

So I can see it very clearly stated.

I received one of those letters too. It stated good on any Carnival cruise, expires on a certain date. But mine was for a different incident.

Mine was from the exact same cruise that the OP got theirs for...Splendor in April (Team Splendor Group that Host Randy ran)that turned into a 6 day Cruise to nowhere with a fast stop in San Francisco where it was cold and rainy.

Granted, the PVP did make a mistake but I suspect you told him/her that you had a 50% off coupon and that what the pricing was based on...

It seems to me that they did you a favor allowing you to use it on an eight day cruise...

:)

I kinda agree with Mach. If you had told the PVP up front, I have a 50% discount for a 3 - 7 day cruise, can I use it on a 8 day cruise, then they might not have said sure, we can apply your 50% discount.

The PVP might not have understood it was specifically for a 3 - 7 day cruise until they went and looked up the letter and then came back to you and said ok we can only give you 35%.

Mistakes happen. The pvp corrected it within an hour. Unless the op read the letter word for word to the pvp, the pvp probably didn't know the discount was only good for 3-7 day cruises. Full disclosure on the op's part would have given the pvp the correct info to work with. I don't think this one is Carnival's fault, nor is it their responsibility to honor the full discount. If they do honor it as a good-will gesture, the op should write a letter of thanks!

It's not bait and switch. The employee made a mistake. If the coupon says valid for 3-7 days only, they are doing you a favor by letting you use it.

You might have to look for sailings from another port or take the 6 day Bermuda cruise.

Archived