Is this bait and switch?

teaach

I called Carrnival today and booked an 8 day Early Saver cruise to Nassau from NY in April 2010 in a 8D balcony cabin. My Dh and myself had a 50%off next cruise letter from Gerry Cahill because we didn't stop at any Mexican ports on the Splendor,4/26/09, due to Swine Flu. I was first quoted an $840. discount and I was very happy with that. An hour later I received a call from my PVP saying a supervisor told her that the discount would be 35% instead of 50%, going from an $840 discount to a $699 one. The reason given was that the letter stated the 50% discount was for a 3-7 day cruise and the one I selected was an 8 day cruise. I should not have been quoted one price and then wound up with the lower discount. There is only one othe cruise from NY that fits the criteria. It's a 6 day cruise to Bermuda offered once a year. All other cruises from NY are 8 days. I composed a strong letter to Mr. Cahill stating my objections. Last year's unfortunate cruise was made right with the 50% discount and now I seem to be getting screwed again. I am sending the letter return receipt requested.

You were entitled to 50% off on a cruise up to 7 days. You were not entitled to anything off on an 8 day cruise. IMO Carnival went above and beyond giving you anything off.

How much was the undiscounted per day price? Multiply that figure by 7 and then divide by 2. Is it equal to $699? If so you got exactly what Carnival said you would. (Ignore fees and taxes because they are based on actual sailing days.)

Guest bahamamama1
do i need to spell it out to you?

what would john heald do? :confused:

lol "WWJD"

What Would John Do ???

BEST BUY mistakenly advertised a 52 inch plasma TV for $9.99 yesterday. Today they said all orders are canceled and they will not honor that price.

If we are launching torpedoes at Carnival, we better call in an air strike on BEST BUY.

$840 8 day cruise @ 50% off= $1680 without the discount. $1680/8= $210.

$210 X 7 = $1470. $1470 X .5= $735. Pretty close to $699.

Granted, the PVP did make a mistake but I suspect you told him/her that you had a 50% off coupon and that what the pricing was based on...

It seems to me that they did you a favor allowing you to use it on an eight day cruise...

:)

I agree with host Mach on this one that it is generous of them to allow you to use a discount meant for a 3-7 day cruise for an 8 day cruise at all.

Also Carnival has many ships with many itineraries that this could be used on. The fact that for whatever reason you are choosing to depart from a specific port at a specific time of year is not Carnivals concern either so the short answer is not a bait and switch at all.

How much was the undiscounted per day price? Multiply that figure by 7 and then divide by 2. Is it equal to $699? If so you got exactly what Carnival said you would. (Ignore fees and taxes because they are based on actual sailing days.)

I was told there would be no math in this thread.

5.gif

I called Carrnival today and booked an 8 day Early Saver cruise to Nassau from NY in April 2010 in a 8D balcony cabin. My Dh and myself had a 50%off next cruise letter from Gerry Cahill because we didn't stop at any Mexican ports on the Splendor,4/26/09, due to Swine Flu. I was first quoted an $840. discount and I was very happy with that. An hour later I received a call from my PVP saying a supervisor told her that the discount would be 35% instead of 50%, going from an $840 discount to a $699 one. The reason given was that the letter stated the 50% discount was for a 3-7 day cruise and the one I selected was an 8 day cruise. I should not have been quoted one price and then wound up with the lower discount. There is only one othe cruise from NY that fits the criteria. It's a 6 day cruise to Bermuda offered once a year. All other cruises from NY are 8 days. I composed a strong letter to Mr. Cahill stating my objections. Last year's unfortunate cruise was made right with the 50% discount and now I seem to be getting screwed again. I am sending the letter return receipt requested.

Poor Customer Service...

I say you are still getting a fair deal. You did get a cruise on the Splendor, but you didn't get your Mexican ports, thus you did get a cruise. I would happily take the discount and run with it....

That's like saying I went to Disneyland but all the rides and attractions were closed that day...but YOU did go to Disneyland. Sounds like you got a good deal.

I think it was an honest mistake... Would you really expect Carnival to give you a 50% discount on a 14 day Mediterranean cruise???

If your original voucher said "good on any 3 to 7 day cruise", then Carnival is allowing you to use it on an 8 day cruise, you're the winner..... They could hold your feet to the fire and tell you they would ONLY honor a discount as per the original letter.....

My grandpappy always said "Be thankful for small favors"

2cents.jpg

Poor Customer Service...

CCL could have given them a free cruise and you'd still say bad customer service.

The OP tries to dupe the cruise line and after they catch it you accuse them of bad custumer service.

That's like going to Home Depot with a coupon that states 25% off with any purchase of $100 or more and still expect it if you spent $75.00.

Sorry the OP tried to get one over and when they got caught they feel like they're getting screwed.:confused:

Bill

.....you're trying to screw Carnival. The letter clearly states 3-7 day cruise.

Bad cruiser! Bad cruiser!

:eek:

wasiii

That's like saying I went to Disneyland but all the rides and attractions were closed that day...but YOU did go to Disneyland. Sounds like you got a good deal.

This is like saying that if you went to Disneyland (with all the rides closed)and they offered you a discounted pass to come back you really would expect to have them let you into California Adventure also at no extra fee when you originally did not pay for this extra benefit? BE HAPPY AND SMILE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. Life is not a big cheat. Just would like to know if you utilized any of the services that day (or week on the ship) or did you starve and not use the bathrooms?

I'm a bit curious how this worked. Did the OP just tell the PVP that he had a "50% off letter." Or did he have some kind of registration number that would allow the PVP (or a travel agent, if the cruise was booked through them) to verify this?

It's not a bait and switch, under any circumstances, since you were not enticed by the possibility of the discount on the 8 day cruise. You knew, or should have known, that your discount would not apply to the 8 day cruise (and since the Splendor left from LA and your cruise left from NY, you can't claim they haven't given you a suitable remedy... there are plenty of cruises from LA that qualify). Carnival was within their rights not to offer any discount on this cruise, and you had the right to cancel if you didn't want to pay the higher amount (or to take a cruise to which the higher discount applied).

Not bait and switch.

You decided to do an 8 night cruise.

It looks like Carnival had in mind being out a certain number of dollars for the offer letters. If they say 50 per cent off of any cruise then they could really be giving people bigger discounts than what they ever originally paid for the no port cruise.

I think it is ok to write the letter to see if maybe they will honor the 50 percent in your case however, I don't think they owe you that or that you should approach this as "bait and switch".

I would just say that they did say once they could use the discount and then changed it. So could we please have the 50 percent.

Enjoy the cruise either way.

wwjhd?

:D funny.

I also have one of those letters (not for 50% off, however ;) just 15%) and it is very clear about what I can get 15% off of.

I probably won't use mine as it is only good for a 3 to 5 day cruise and I am trying not to book any more short ones. I wouldn't consider asking them to apply it to a longer one.

The letter is short, so it's not like to have to wade through a lot to find any hidden small print.

As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to extend to you and Mr ******* ****** a 15% discount on a future 3 to 5 day Carnival cruise (excluding Alaska, Christmas, New Years and chartered sailings). This offer must be redeemed within 24 months and may be combined with our super saver rates. This is non transferable and is applicable toward only the cruise portion of your fare. Your Travel Agent need only inform Carnival of the discount at the time of reservation and forward the original letter to our Guest solutions Department.

I agree with almost all (Ted's way off in left field somewhere).:D

Its NOT bait and switch. Carnival didn't even have to give you the 35% off the 8-day cruise, but they chose to anyway in the interest of customer satisfaction. Use it and enjoy. :)

(then write a long review pointing out how Carnival went "above and beyond" to please you) :rolleyes:

Archived