Mexican Reviera Safety

tazdeb

Anyone have any info on how safe its been with the drug cartells lately?

If you are in an opposing cartel, you may have a problem, otherwise you should be fine. I have done the west coast of MX three times and never had a problem. :):)

BILL

I also have cruised the MR 3 times and will do it again in Dec. I have always felt safe. Its deeper into Mexico where the big trouble is. :eek: But I'm not crazy about Acapulco. Been there twice. Outrageous prices in their "flea market area". I did enjoy a 5 hr. yacht trip the first time with Fish-R-Us with a group of 10 to watch the cliff divers from the water. Great food and drinks, and snorkeling included and a beautiful sunset to finish it off. Actually it has been cut already by NCL for whatever reason. They used to do an 8 day as far as Acapulco. But now they do a 7 day down to Puerto Vallarta instead. Cabo, Mazatlan and PV no problems. Enjoy!:D

Stick to either the cruise excursions or those of a reputable local. Don't go wandering off on your own in unfamiliar territory and you should have nothing to worry about. And to the poster above who said that the troubles are deeper into Mexico, he should be aware that many multiple killings and beheadings related to drug cartels have been occuring just south of the border here in TiJuana and Rosarita Beach - no more than 10 miles south of the border. There it is having major impact on tourism:(

I have been to Mexico many, many times both by cruise and land based vacations. I have read (about a year or more ago) that Alcapolco is probably the worste in the cruise ports to go to. Beyond that, don't worry - be happy! No problemo :D

Stick to either the cruise excursions or those of a reputable local. Don't go wandering off on your own in unfamiliar territory and you should have nothing to worry about. And to the poster above who said that the troubles are deeper into Mexico, he should be aware that many multiple killings and beheadings related to drug cartels have been occuring just south of the border here in TiJuana and Rosarita Beach - no more than 10 miles south of the border. There it is having major impact on tourism:(

Neither location is anywhere near the ports that the cruise ships visit which seems to have been the primary concern of the OP.:rolleyes:

Well isn't that a surprise, at least to me. The last I knew, Ensenada is less than 30 miles from Rosarita Beach and, in season, cruise ships are berthed in Ensenada almost daily. Even now, in the off season, Carnival's Elation is there one day every week.:o

If you live in a major US city, there are places you don't go. I know of many places in the Wash. DC area. And yes you can die if you go there. Mexico has areas that are dangerous. Don't wander off and stay with your group. If you wander off then you can be a statistic.

Archived