Katakolon to Olympia

Bohemian

We are crusing on MSC Muscia. We dock at Katakoln at 7am and I am thinking of trying to catch the train to Olympia. We're not wanting to spend too much time in Olympia so we think the train will give us enough time there. But my question is, if we dock at 7am what time could we expect to be off the ship. Will we make it to the train for the 8:26 departure?

We are crusing on MSC Muscia. We dock at Katakoln at 7am and I am thinking of trying to catch the train to Olympia. We're not wanting to spend too much time in Olympia so we think the train will give us enough time there. But my question is, if we dock at 7am what time could we expect to be off the ship. Will we make it to the train for the 8:26 departure?
You will have no trouble catching that train. Just remember though that taking the train gives you no backup train departures if you somehow miss it or if a train departure is cancelled. You'd probably have to try to take a cab back in that event.

MeeshaNZ- it's no more than a 10 minute walk to the train from dock (though we gave ourselves plenty of time!)

It was 15th July this year when we were there, and we were surprised at how quiet the train and the modern Olympia town was. A fair number of people at the site, mainly on tours, but certainly not crowded, even though there were 3 ships in port.

It was reassuring to see lots of taxis lined up in Olympia near the station, but happily we didn't need then so do not know the cost.

kate

MeeshaNZ- it's no more than a 10 minute walk to the train from dock (though we gave ourselves plenty of time!)

It was 15th July this year when we were there, and we were surprised at how quiet the train and the modern Olympia town was. A fair number of people at the site, mainly on tours, but certainly not crowded, even though there were 3 ships in port.

It was reassuring to see lots of taxis lined up in Olympia near the station, but happily we didn't need then so do not know the cost.

kate

Thanks for posting; it's reassuring to know the cabs are available. Our ship departs at 4pm, and I'm sure we'll want to take the 2nd return train back (arriving Katakolon at 2:30ish) rather than the first one, which would not give us enough time. The third train, of course, would be too late...:eek:

We took the train and had plenty of time to explore the ruins and museum. We were not rushed at all. The train station was a very short walk from where our ship docked. Just be sure to check the schedule for departure times, and check again at the station in Olympia -- we found the time had been changed from the time printed on the original schedule. The train is the best way to go -- easy and inexpensive. Since it doesn't run frequently, you have to watch the time, but we really didn't need any more time to see everything.

Do you think there will be as many trains in November? WE have booked a guide, but we like doing things on our own and would be happy to do that if we can. Your thoughts?

MeeshaNZ,

We will be on the MSC Musica departing on Sept. 20th. When will you be there?

When we were in Katacolon this past April we had a nice conversation with a local rental car agency located right across the street from the port (I think it was the closest dealer). At that time they were renting cars for 40 Euros (all inclusive) but because it was a rainy day we decided not to take the car (we were going to drive to a beach). I did pick up one of their business cards and the web site is

http://rentacarkatakolo.gr/main.htm

We have driven in Greece several times (both on cruise days and multi-day land visits) with no problems. Nobody has ever asked us for an International Drivers Permit.

Hank

I will know just where to head next summer when we get to Katakolon. :)

Cynthia, the museum there is absolutely fabulous, very extensive and well-captioned, with good a/c as well, so be sure to reserve plenty of time for your visit.

Cynthia, the museum there is absolutely fabulous, very extensive and well-captioned, with good a/c as well, so be sure to reserve plenty of time for your visit.
While we're on the subject of the museum, I wanted to share two unique observations of this fine museum:

1) You are not allowed to "pose" for pictures!? You can take all the pics you want, just don't attempt to take a set picture of a friend or family member or they will yell at you! :rolleyes:

2) Almost all the Greek ladies that work the museum were young, pretty and wore their pants about two sizes too tight. :eek: BTW, this was my wife's observation--not mine. :D

We'll be in Katakolon on Sunday, Sept. 27th. Will the train schedule be the same? Are the car rental offices open on Sunday? The sites?

Olympia is open on Sunday.

To check the train schedule:

Greek Railways website www.ose.gr – change it to English, then do a station search for ΚΑΤΑΚΩΛΟΝ to ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑ

(I tried it myself but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment; I couldn't get any results to show up for any day.....probably just a glitch as I've tried it before and it worked....)

I was quietly enjoying all the artifacts and exhibits until my 10 YO daughter whispered to me "Daddy, that lady's pants are so tight you can see her butt crack!". :D

Your account simply is getting better and better. (But maybe farther and farther from the reality. Your blog tells a different story! Seriously, your blog of your trip is delightful!):)

Hilarious! I am reading this to my husband. He said at least you will remember the trip!
Your account simply is getting better and better. (But maybe farther and farther from the reality. Your blog tells a different story! Seriously, your blog of your trip is delightful!):)
Okay, okay, so maybe I did find it a little bit interesting. :rolleyes: But, you know, on a cruise itinerary with Foro Romano, Colisseo, Pompeii, Carthage, Acropolis and Ephesus, can you blame a guy for enjoying something that isn't ancient and ruined? :D

Okay, okay, so maybe I did find it a little bit interesting. :rolleyes: But, you know, on a cruise itinerary with Foro Romano, Colisseo, Pompeii, Carthage, Acropolis and Ephesus, can you blame a guy for enjoying something that isn't ancient and ruined? :D

ROTFLOL; touche!:)

• 2 weeks later...

About how long does it take to see the Olympia ruins and the museum?

We plan on renting a car and want to make sure we have enough time to see the ruins and museum. We are only in port for 5 hours (0800 - 1300). Do you think that is enough time for travel and sightseeing? I think we might have to eat on the run though.

About how long does it take to see the Olympia ruins and the museum?

We plan on renting a car and want to make sure we have enough time to see the ruins and museum. We are only in port for 5 hours (0800 - 1300). Do you think that is enough time for travel and sightseeing? I think we might have to eat on the run though.

Assuming you get out early, you will have more than enough time to visit the ruins and the museum (we took 3 hrs including the drive), and time for lunch and/or shopping. :)

You should have enough time, but lunch may have to be back on the ship.:)

We are the slowest sightseers at museums, being major history/archaelogy enthusiasts, and we spent two hours at the fantastic Olympia museum and about one hour at the site itself, plus about 30 minutes each way for the drive.

Archived