Bill & 8/23 Dawn Bermuda Sailing

op1

If the track of the storm stays where they are predicting it we may be OK.

I agree. With 2.5 days to get to Bermuda they can easily take a several 100 mile detour along the coast before turning east well south of the storm to Bermuda. I was onboard last week and we craweled down at 9-14 kts. The cruising speed of the Dawn is 25 kts. So if the run at 18 kts to reduce the bumps on the ride and extra ~5 kts for the 66 hours they can cover a 330 natical mile detour.

I agree. With 2.5 days to get to Bermuda they can easily take a several 100 mile detour along the coast before turning east well south of the storm to Bermuda. I was onboard last week and we craweled down at 9-14 kts. The cruising speed of the Dawn is 25 kts. So if the run at 18 kts to reduce the bumps on the ride and extra ~5 kts for the 66 hours they can cover a 330 natical mile detour.

We can spend the night in NY harbor and still arrive in Bermuda on time.

OP1

This is good and very interesting:

www.stormpulse.com

Click on Full Screen.

Turn on the Historial Tracking (within "More")

Turn on Clouds

You can zoom in and out, and pan on the screen.

NCL says Dawn and Majesty will depart Bermuda tomorrow (Thurs) instead of Friday, and Spirit, Dawn and Majesty will sail as usual this weekend. I think Spirit will sail around the storm and I would not be surprised if she arrives late.

In the meantime we're watching closely ... Bill did change direction today and will pass by closer now. He is a very big one. :(:eek::(:eek::(

This is good and very interesting:

www.stormpulse.com

Click on Full Screen.

Turn on the Historial Tracking (within "More")

Turn on Clouds

You can zoom in and out, and pan on the screen.

NCL says Dawn and Majesty will depart Bermuda tomorrow (Thurs) instead of Friday, and Spirit, Dawn and Majesty will sail as usual this weekend. I think Spirit will sail around the storm and I would not be surprised if she arrives late.

In the meantime we're watching closely ... Bill did change direction today and will pass by closer now. He is a very big one. :(:eek::(:eek::(

Best of Wishes to you !!!

We can spend the night in NY harbor and still arrive in Bermuda on time.

OP1

You may be able to but that is the least likely to happen. The Dawn is very capable of cruising in heavy seas. I was onboard the only time she stayed in NY harbor with all her summer and winter cruises was the blizzard cruise in Feb. 2006. The reason was not the seas but rather the fact the refueling barge could not make it to the ship in the winds the day before.

Hello everyone...We are leaving on the 23rd also but we will be on NCL Majesty out of Baltimore. We are scheduled to be in Bermuda on Tuesday but we will be docked in St. George...and if the water is too choppy then we wont be able to get in through the cut as there is no room for error there. So we are hoping that even if Bill is gone, the waters will have calmed down by then allowing us entry. NCL has told us that there are no changes so far, but that could change according to the storm, it really is too early to say what is going to go down. The Majesty was docked at Ordnance Island as of today and was not scheduled to leave until Friday at 11am, but instead they are making her leave tomorrow at 5pm...I am sure that is going to be a rocky ride for them. No matter what ship you are on, you will need to bring along your sea legs for this one.

This morning's update has Bill speeding up in forward motion, and dropping in intensity from a Cat 4 to a Cat 3. This is good news for those sailing on the 23rd, as it looks like the storm will be past NYC on Sunday PM.

I would say at this point, you can look forward to a good cruise (may be a little rocky the first night at sea).

It also looks like Bermuda will be spared a direct hit, although I saw that Saturday they expect 30-40 foot waves on the south shore (yikes !).

I'm one of those that would be a little PO'd going to Canada after expecting Bermuda. But I'm also realistic that I wouldn't want to be in Hurricane waters or a rainy and windy port.

Good luck to all of you, where ever you may end up!

Large hurricane bill spreading high swells over the western

atlantic...

At 11 am ast...1500 utc...the bermuda weather service has issued a

hurricane watch for bermuda. A hurricane watch means that hurricane

conditions are possible within the watch area...generally within 36

hours.

For storm information specific to your area outside of the united

states...please monitor products issued by your national

meteorological service.

At 1100 am ast...1500 utc...the eye of hurricane bill was located

near latitude 22.6 north...longitude 61.7 west or about 380 miles...

610 km...north of the leeward islands and about 695 miles...1120 km

...south-southeast of bermuda.

Bill is moving toward the northwest near 18 mph...30 km/hr...and

this general motion is expected to continue trough friday. On this

forecast track...the core of hurricane bill is expected to pass

over open waters between bermuda and the east coast of the united

states early saturday.

Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 120 mph...195

km/hr...with higher gusts. Bill is a category three hurricane on

the saffir-simpson scale. Some strengthening is forecast during

the next 24 hours and bill could regain category four status on

friday.

Bill is a large tropical cyclone. Hurricane force winds extend

outward up to 105 miles...165 km...from the center...and tropical

storm force winds extend outward up to 260 miles...415 km.

The latest minimum central pressure reported by a noaa p-3 hurricane

reconnaissance aircraft was 951 mb...28.08 inches.

Large swells generated by this hurricane are affecting the northern

leeward islands and should begin affecting the bahamas...bermuda...

Most of the eastern u.s. Coast...and the atlantic maritimes of

canada during the next few days. These swells will likely cause

extremely dangerous surf and life-threatening rip currents. Please

consult statements issued by your local weather office for more

details.

...summary of 1100 am ast information...

Location...22.6n 61.7w

maximum sustained winds...120 mph

present movement...northwest or 305 degrees at 18 mph

minimum central pressure...951 mb

an intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane

center at 200 pm ast followed by the next complete advisory at 500

pm ast.

Bermuda Marine Forecast

Issued at 11:30 am - Thursday, August 20, 2009Hurricane Watch Marine Synopsis - Hurricane Bill is a threat to Bermuda as it passes to our west on Saturday. Very high seas are expected with dangerous surf and strong rip-currents, especially on south facing shores. Winds will increase to Tropical Storm Force during Friday, and will last until Saturday afternoon, with gusts to Hurricane force associated with squalls and thunderstorms. Today - Winds northeasterly 5 to 10 knots, veering easterly 10 to 15 knots this afternoon... Isolated showers with fair visibility, slight chance of an afternoon thunderstorm... Seas inside the reef near 1 ft... Outside the reef 3 to 4 ft... Sunrise: 6:46 am.

Tonight - Winds easterly 10 to 15 knots, increasing 12 to 18 knots overnight... A few showers developing overnight with fair visibility. Building southeasterly swells... Seas increasing, inside the reef 1 to 3 ft... Outside the reef 5 to 9 ft... Sunset: 7:58 pm.

Friday - Winds easterly 15 to 20 knots, veering and increasing southeasterly 35 to 45 knots gusts 65 knots through the evening, then veering south-southeasterly late night... Widespread rain, squally showers and thunderstorms with moderate to very poor visibility. Southeast to south-southeast seas building to very high, heavy surf with storm surge... Seas increasing, inside the reef 3 to 6 ft... Outside the reef 10 to 20 ft... Sunrise: 6:47 am; Sunset: 7:57 pm.

Saturday - Winds southerly 35 to 45 knots gusts to 65 knots, easing south-southwesterly 25 to 35 knots gusts 45 knots in afternoon, veering southwesterly 20 to 30 knots overnight... Widespread rain, squally showers and thunderstorms with moderate to very poor visibility. Heavy surf and storm surge ease with seas falling 9 to 15 feet through the evening as southerly swells diminish... Seas inside the reef 6 to 10 ft... Outside the reef 20 to 30 ft, decreasing during the afternoon... Sunrise: 6:47 am; Sunset: 7:55 pm.

Sunday - Winds southwesterly 20 to 30 knots gusts to 40 knots, easing 10 to 15 knots later... Widespread showers, risk thunder with fair to poor visibility... Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 ft... Outside the reef 6 to 9 ft, decreasing... Sunrise: 6:48 am; Sunset: 7:54 pm.

Monday - Winds south-southwesterly 8 to 12 knots, backing southeasterly by evening... A few showers with fair visibility, clearing later... Seas inside the reef 1 to 2 ft... Outside the reef 4 to 6 ft, decreasing... Sunrise: 6:48 am; Sunset: 7:53 pm.

Looks like things will be fine for the Damn and Majesty passengers this week. From the NCL site:

Tropical Weather Notice - Updated 8/21 10:00am

- Aug 21, 2009 --- At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Hurricane Bill.

Norwegian Spirit will depart Boston as scheduled today. Depending on the path of the storm, the ship may arrive later than scheduled into Bermuda. The ship's Captain will update the guests on board as to the specific arrival time in Bermuda once it has been determined.

At this time, we are anticipating that the August 23 sailings of Norwegian Dawn from New York and Norwegian Majesty from Baltimore will depart as scheduled.

We will continue to closely monitor the weather conditions and update this information as necessary.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=WU_Generic_082109

Looks like things will be fine for the Damn and Majesty passengers this week. From the NCL site:

Tropical Weather Notice - Updated 8/21 10:00am

- Aug 21, 2009 --- At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Hurricane Bill.

Norwegian Spirit will depart Boston as scheduled today. Depending on the path of the storm, the ship may arrive later than scheduled into Bermuda. The ship's Captain will update the guests on board as to the specific arrival time in Bermuda once it has been determined.

At this time, we are anticipating that the August 23 sailings of Norwegian Dawn from New York and Norwegian Majesty from Baltimore will depart as scheduled.

We will continue to closely monitor the weather conditions and update this information as necessary.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=WU_Generic_082109

I thought so too until I saw how you renamed the ship! :eek:

;)

Archived