Eden Rock - Grand Cayman

joeyancho

For a great snorkeling experience in Grand Cayman try Eden Rock. It is just a short walk from the tender pier and the snorkeling is terrific. Just make a right at the end of the pier and walk down the street to the beach bar with a red roof. You can rent the gear there for just $12.00 or bring your own. There were literally millions of beautiful fish. Some were as big as 3 feet. There is a small beach there with free lounge chairs. The bar makes great drinks and food. There snorkeling here is free and is better than any snorkeling excursion I have taken in the past.

I would "second this comment" except I don't want word to get out about how great it is! DH and I did a shore dive here this summer and saw all sorts of fish. Divemaster took along some bait and enticed a moray eel and also a LARGE nurse shark to come out for a sample! One large fish (at least a couple feet long) followed us during the whole dive just like a little puppy. We would have to push him aside cause he wanted to be so close! :)

Friendly sugggestion.......Take dogfood biscuits or kibbles rather than bagels to feed fish.... if you must feed the fish, much heathier for the fish diet. Best bet, is not to feed fish at all. :)

Coral Princess 11/03

Island Princess 3/04 - 4/04

Shappire Princess 6/04

Shappire Princess 11/04 - 12/04

We are planning to dive Eden Rock in June. Where did you hire your dive master from? If you don't mind telling me...how much did he charge? Thanks for the info
We booked our shore dive through Abanks Dive Center using the link through Island Marketing http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/AbanksDiveCenter.htm. Since I was not certified, I had to book a beginner's dive and use the divemaster. The cost of the dive was $75 and included all of the equipment. DH is certified and used his own equipment except for renting tanks & weights. I think his cost was around $15. There are lockers to rent also.

We had to put a 20% downpayment down on the dive when we booked online. There was a mix-up when we got to Abanks Dive Center. They told us they had no record of our reservation and wanted us to pay the full cost. Stupid me had left the email confirmation back on the ship so had no proof that we had paid. Finally the guy agreed to call Island Marketing and was then able to confirm our reservation.

It "might" be possible to just arrange for a dive when you get to Abanks rather than booking ahead if you aren't sure of your plans. As mentioned previously, they are just a short walk from the cruise ship tender dock. (Unless you are carrying heavy, wet scuba equipment then it seems much further! :eek: ) On the other hand, reserving a spot would mean you wouldn't have to worry...Grand Cayman can get pretty busy when there are a lot ships in port at one time.

• 4 years later...
Friendly sugggestion.......Take dogfood biscuits or kibbles rather than bagels to feed fish.... if you must feed the fish, much heathier for the fish diet. Best bet, is not to feed fish at all. :)

Right on!!

Having said that, our snorkel guide at Cozumel baited them with tortillas torn into strips. That caused a fish frenzy. Of course, they're Mexican fish. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I have read about the steps going down into the water at Eden Rock. Can someone who has been there tell me if the steps are slippery??? I wanted to go there when we were in Grand Cayman in January, but werent sure if we could get down the steps or not. DH's knees aren't the best and I didnt want him to get hurt trying to get into the water.

Thanks for the infol

Sioux

• 1 year later...

The steps into the water can be a little slippery, but not bad. There were quite a few Tarpon hanging around the bottom of the steps. It was one of the best snorkeling trips we have taken. Highly recommend

This place in Grand Cayman is fine if you get there early, but it can be a zoo later in the day if there are a lot of ships in Grand Cayman. There are quite a few places where you can snorkel from shore - do a little research as it will pay off. Cemetery Reef is a nice reef - and you can take public transportation - the local minibus - to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Eden Rock. We usually go to the Eden Rock dive center for good access it is about a hundred yards further than the Paradise restaurant which is the first place you pass which has access the Eden Rock.

Here is a big tip: Ask the guys at the dive center to point out the buoys that mark the reef. You do have to swim out 100 yards or so to reach the reef. You'll see some fish before then but nothing like the scenery and fish over the reef itself.

• 8 months later...

find a number of pictures here

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/eden_rock.htm

to say EDEN ROCK Dive shop has a beach is being generous in my opinion and I would not say this is an area for kids to have beach/water access

There's a basic issue in play. The good beach areas and the good dive/snorkel from shore areas are of vastly different topography. On Seven Mile beach you find a long sandy beach and water that gently increases in depth for nearly a mile off shore where at 70 feet you finally encounter the top of the wall and the reef. Some exceptions are at either extreme end of 7MB. Snorkel from the heart of 7MB and you might see some fish and some rocks or a small patch of coral but unless you paddle a mile or more out you won't see 'the reef'. BTW 7MB is north of town.

OTOH:

The good shore dive/snorkel area is where the reef is very close to shore and that happens south of town. At Eden and Sunset House the reef is right off shore - measured in feet!. Actually the reef extends up to shore and beyond. The shore area consists of what's called Iron Shore and basically it is the dead coral remains pushed ashore as the island rose from the sea. It looks somewhat volcanic but is not a smooth surface but spikes and points and NOT something you want to walk on! The reef runs right up the shore and around this area the only beach you'll find is where a hotel has carved into the iron shore and built one! http://photos.igougo.com/pictures-photos-p259490-Edge_of_Hell.html

So from your perspective, sadly you must make a decision: great sand beach, or great reef snorkeling? Or plan to spend some time one place .... then the other ....

I agree with Capt BJ about the beach situation.

We did the dive last year with Eden Rock, and with a guide and gear, it was around $130 for both of us for one tank dive. Great dive with a great guide (Ann, I think was her name). We saw some 6 foot tarpons, and also had a large fish who attached itself to my husband as well. We saw a porpucine fish, barracuda, angels, hogfish, grouper, snappers, and more. This was to Devil's Grotto. Great views of above through there!

We also very much enjoy stingray city. We've been several times with www.mobydicktours.com where we always receive personal attention - they make sure everyone that wants to gets to hold, feed, and kiss the stingrays. Also, they suggest a fish and chips place on the way back that is definitely worth the drop-off and walk back! My mouth is watering for it! :p

• 1 year later...
... Also, they suggest a fish and chips place on the way back that is definitely worth the drop-off and walk back! My mouth is watering for it! :p

And the name of the fish and chip's place would be....?

Archived