Brenda-Service Dog Extraordinaire Will Be Giving a Demonstration

wizard-of-roz

Finally, after contacting Princess for many years and 11 cruises for my Service Dog Brenda, she will be giving a demonstration of her phenomenal work while onboard the Golden to Alaska, on September 5th.

She'll either be in the Vista Lounge or the Wheelhouse Bar on the first Sea day, I believe that will be Sunday, September 6th.

If you're on this cruise, look in the Patter for the announcement of her demonstration time.

So many wonderful folks show interest in what she does and how she does it. Finally, we can showcase her work. And, give interested people an opportunity to ask questions, learn more and enjoy her when she's not working.

I always allow for "pats" while she's resting at my feet, in a lounge or on deck. But, this will truly allow people to see what a terrific work ethic she has and for them to learn more about dog behavior and training.

We look forward to meeting all who are interested in more about "Cruising With a Service Dog!!!!"

What kind of service dog do you have?

Where did you get your dog?

How does Princess setup for the dog to relieve itself during the cruise?

What kind of service dog do you have?

Where did you get your dog?

How does Princess setup for the dog to relieve itself during the cruise?

Brenda was formally trained by me and Canine Companions for Independence, located in Santa Rosa, CA. They have satelite office all over the U.S.

They train Hearing/Service/Facility and Skilled Companion Dogs. Brenda does all of the aforementioned. Hence the term Service Dog Extraordinaire!!!!

Cruise ships offer a 4x4 or 4x5 wooden box, filled with a variety of litter [depending on the cruise line] from paper pellets to wood chips to mulch. The box is placed either on your veranda, a deck [not too frequented by other passengers], a crew closet [used for cleaning supplies] or a stairwell near your cabin. I prefer the stairwell or the crew closet. It's convenient and I go in my PJ's.

Brenda steps into the box and waahlah!!!!!!! Teaching a dog to do this is very, very simple.

The cruise line keeps the box maintained....I pick up the litter in a plastic/sealed bag and place it into a recepticle [near the box] and, the ship does the rest. They would even pick-up after her, if I didn't but I never expect them to.

Hi Roz,

I still think its wonderful that cruise lines allow service dogs of all types, to cruise, do they get better perks the more cruises they do.Do they get a cruise card with there picture.

icon10.gif

yours Shogun

Hi Roz,

I still think its wonderful that cruise lines allow service dogs of all types, to cruise, do they get better perks the more cruises they do.Do they get a cruise card with there picture.

icon10.gif

yours Shogun

with RCI you get a DogPass:)

Cruise ships offer a 4x4 or 4x5 wooden box, filled with a variety of litter [depending on the cruise line] from paper pellets to wood chips to mulch. The box is placed either on your veranda, a deck [not too frequented by other passengers], a crew closet [used for cleaning supplies] or a stairwell near your cabin. I prefer the stairwell or the crew closet. It's convenient and I go in my PJ's.

Brenda steps into the box and waahlah!!!!!!! Teaching a dog to do this is very, very simple.

The cruise line keeps the box maintained....I pick up the litter in a plastic/sealed bag and place it into a recepticle [near the box] and, the ship does the rest. They would even pick-up after her, if I didn't but I never expect them to.

I have always wondered how that's handled. Great idea.

And since we're talking about our "babies", figured I might as well attach one of ours "boys": Ledger and Kodi (short for Kodiak). :D

IMG_9785.jpg

Such good questions.......

As long as cruise ships dock in the U.S.A they must go by the ADA Laws [of course, they then float into International waters] but, by then it's too late.....the ADA Laws stipulate that a Service Dog MUST be allowed where the "public" is allowed. Slowly these laws will go into ALL countries [the public is slow to change!] And, it took many years and the Department of Justice to get the laws as good as they are now!

The TSA, at the Airports are still fearful, and, I mean fearful of the working dog. They're so used to the "bomb" and "drug" sniffing dogs, that they're amazed when they see [what should be a pet] acting so, so amazingly well!!!!!!!

The paperwork required to get a Service Dog on a cruise ship is monumental!

Carnival - has a "Do Not Disturb Service Dog Inside" door sign.

Celebrity - crew loves to take her for walks.

Princess - has a "Doggy Life Perserver" waiting for her, on the bed, upon our arrival.

Brenda only eats Ukanuba Senior Diet (dry kibble) and Virbac Chews for treats. We bring bottled water on board just for her! I bring a bag of salt-free pretzels, that I break into pieces and give her a piece after we dine. (Kind of a "thank you" for being such a good girl and laying under the dining table so nicely!)

I have always wondered how that's handled. Great idea.

And since we're talking about our "babies", figured I might as well attach one of ours "boys": Ledger and Kodi (short for Kodiak). :D

IMG_9785.jpg

They're GORGEOUS.....I'm a true sucker for Labs of all colors......Give me a few months and, I'll turn them into Service Dogs!!!!

Hi Roz,

Do you think you could train some of my past table mates to act as well as Brenda.

yours shogun

And rude and loud children and adults.....Brenda comes out from underneath the table, after we've dined and most people have no clue that she was even in the room.

She won't mar or write on the walls in the elevators; she won't step on your toe; she won't consistently whine about one thing or another; she won't complain if the rooms too hot or too cold; she won't run in front of you and be rude; she won't drop garbage and expect someone else to clean it up; she won't care if my hairs not combed or my makeup's not on; and, best of all she'll always love me, no matter what I do!!!!!!!!! :)

I am so happy to see that you have finally been able to arrange this session with Princess. I know I would find your session fascinating and am so envious of all those who will get to attend. I hope you and Brenda WOW the "powers that be," so that some day more of us can enjoy you and Brenda on a future cruise. Wishing you and Brenda a wonderful cruise to beautiful Alaska. David Cole was the CD on one of our Hawaii cruises. He is great - ask him to teach Brenda how to play the Ukelele, and see what he says!

I am so happy to see that you have finally been able to arrange this session with Princess. I know I would find your session fascinating and am so envious of all those who will get to attend. I hope you and Brenda WOW the "powers that be," so that some day more of us can enjoy you and Brenda on a future cruise. Wishing you and Brenda a wonderful cruise to beautiful Alaska. David Cole was the CD on one of our Hawaii cruises. He is great - ask him to teach Brenda how to play the Ukelele, and see what he says!

Bucky, thank you for your kind words. I truly appreciate your positive spirit towards Brenda and me.

I will mention the Ukelele to David and see what he says.....Brenda has not been trained to play one but there are a few weeks before we cruise and she's really smart......:rolleyes:

Wow, I'm so jealous of your fellow cruisers, getting to see a Brenda demo! If not a video, hopefully someone else on your rollcall will take photos and come back and post them for us all to see. Meanwhile, I'm giggling at the Doggy Life Preserver. . . . Have a great cruise; I'm sure Brenda will be a total rock star after the program -- hopefully she won't let fame go to her head!

And rude and loud children and adults.....Brenda comes out from underneath the table, after we've dined and most people have no clue that she was even in the room.

She won't mar or write on the walls in the elevators; she won't step on your toe; she won't consistently whine about one thing or another; she won't complain if the rooms too hot or too cold; she won't run in front of you and be rude; she won't drop garbage and expect someone else to clean it up; she won't care if my hairs not combed or my makeup's not on; and, best of all she'll always love me, no matter what I do!!!!!!!!! :)

Gosh, I bet she doesn't even hog deck chairs!!

Congratulations; I think that's such a great thing that Princess is arranging and you are demonstrating. Hopefully it will let more people see what wonderful things service dogs can do.

I can't wait to read Brenda's cruise review! Was the food to her liking? :) Bed okay? Eggcrate or not? ;) Which is Brenda's favorite port from the Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for sharing your good news with your fellow ccers!

Roz,

I wish I was able to take this cruise with you. I would love to see Brenny strut her stuff!! As someone suggested, a video would be so cool but at the very least please make sure there are some photos for us :D

Miriam

PS. Congrats to Shogun too!!! (I'm pretty sure you don't mind a minor hijack do you Roz?? :o It is just such great news!)

I love all this talk about our furry companions. Brenda is a beautiful little girl. I too have a little girl named Ruby who is a registered therapy dog. Her favorate visit is to a local inpatient psychatritic hospital. She loves it when I say It's time to go to work. The people we visit are so happy and thankful we took the time to visit them. I think I get more out of the visit then they do sometimes...

I can't wait to read Brenda's cruise review! Was the food to her liking? :) Bed okay? Eggcrate or not? ;) Which is Brenda's favorite port from the Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for sharing your good news with your fellow ccers!

That made me laugh! I'd LOVE to see a Brenda's eye view of the cruise. :)

Also loved the comment about her not hogging deck chairs. LOL! And she doesn't smoke, won't argue about what to wear on formal night, won't be sharing soda cards or pushing all the buttons in the elevators or be wearing a diaper in the pool.

My gosh! I think we may have just found the perfect passenger!!! :eek: :D

Finally, after contacting Princess for many years and 11 cruises for my Service Dog Brenda, she will be giving a demonstration of her phenomenal work while onboard the Golden to Alaska, on September 5th.

She'll either be in the Vista Lounge or the Wheelhouse Bar on the first Sea day, I believe that will be Sunday, September 6th.

If you're on this cruise, look in the Patter for the announcement of her demonstration time.

So many wonderful folks show interest in what she does and how she does it. Finally, we can showcase her work. And, give interested people an opportunity to ask questions, learn more and enjoy her when she's not working.

I always allow for "pats" while she's resting at my feet, in a lounge or on deck. But, this will truly allow people to see what a terrific work ethic she has and for them to learn more about dog behavior and training.

We look forward to meeting all who are interested in more about "Cruising With a Service Dog!!!!"

They are amazing animals.

. . . won't argue about what to wear on formal night . . .

Maybe Brenda could have a little "bling" on her collar for formal night!

Maybe???? You know she does! She has the most gorgeous collars and wears a different one every day!

I love spoiling her!!!!!!!

Archived