Surcharge for Gas?

iwilltakeonetwo

I noticed that oil went to $71.00 a barrell today. On the website Carnival says that there will be $9.00 a day surchage if oil reaches $70 a barrell. This maybe a crazy question, but does carnival go by the price of oil on the day you sail or just when it reaches $70.00 upcoming cruises are atomatically charged? TIA

Holiday 9/7/2009

In another thread someone said Carnival's policy was to only implement a fuel surcharge if oil was $70 or above for 30 consecutive days. Carnival realizes that adding a surcharge in this economy is not a wise thing to do.

Per the ticket contract you accepted when you booked the cruise, they have the right to implement the surcharge if the price goes above the limit.

They may not choose to exercise the right, but they can. Right now, there is no surcharge in effect.

Oil has been so volatile lately and has been dropping back into the $60's that Carnival hasn't implemented the charge. They reserve the right to though. When I booked my last cruise a year ago, oil was well over $100 per barrell and then started falling throughout the fall. We sailed in January 2009 and they refunded the fuel charge in the form of an OBC.

Carnival has reserved the right. It is not automatic. As of now, they're not doing it. I remember reading that Carnival was very candid in saying that the economy had reduced the number of cruisers, and they did not want to implement a fuel surcharge to further jeopardize their pool of customers.

It's an unlikely possibility that the fuel surcharge will be revived. It is possible, but given the economic climate and that vacation travel has been drastically curtailed by most, none of the lines seem to be interested in pushing the issue right now.

In another thread someone said Carnival's policy was to only implement a fuel surcharge if oil was $70 or above for 30 consecutive days. Carnival realizes that adding a surcharge in this economy is not a wise thing to do.

I wouldnt quote wrong facts here if I were you. Stick to facts and what you know to be true.

There is no such statement made by Carnival. Absolutely false. There was a policy where oil had to stay below $70 for about a month that I think maybe got folks confused and now quoting a 4 week rule.... this only applied to taking it off the last time. Not a policy.

OP also misquoted Carnival's policy which says the "can" not that they "will" add a fuel surcharge.

Here is Carnival current statement on fuel. Please stick to facts. All these bad rumors stated as facts only get folks more confused, and then more people quote wrong info as if its true. Seriously folks, if you really have no idea what the policy is, dont say things as if they are facts, please.

Oil was over $73 in June when Carnival came out with this.

http://carnival-news.com/2009/06/10/carnival-corporation-plc-statement-on-reinstatement-of-fuel-supplements/

Blogroll

Carnival Corporation & plc Statement on Reinstatement of Fuel Supplements

Posted on 10 June 2009

At the time we suspended fuel supplements for our six North American brands, we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Not likely that Carnival will implement a surcharge. A few weeks ago oil was near $75 a barrel and carnival did not charge the surcharge. However, the do hold the right to charge it at anytime...even up to and including the day of debarktion at the end of your cruise.

For the one comment about oil holding at $70 or higher for 30 days, that is not true and it is not published anywhere on Carnival's site.

The thing to remembe is that when Carnival suspended the fuel surcharge the immediately readjusted their cruise pricing. So in effect a fuel surcharge is contained within the price of your cruise...you just don't see it. Fluctuations in cruise pricing are being seen as a reaction to market conditions...the old "supply and demand rule". If Carnival were to implement the surcharge again then it would again be a "supply and demand" environment with cruise pricing.

I've been checking my upcoming cruise and there are currently about 130 open cabins that I can see on the Cranival website and there are probably more cabins than that, so Carnival has a supply with no demand and I suspect price drops will be forthcoming to fill the cabins.

I noticed that oil went to $71.00 a barrell today. On the website Carnival says that there will be $9.00 a day surchage if oil reaches $70 a barrell. This maybe a crazy question, but does carnival go by the price of oil on the day you sail or just when it reaches $70.00 upcoming cruises are atomatically charged? TIA

Holiday 9/7/2009

None of the cruiselines has announced any intention of implementing the surcharge. Their current announcment is that they reserve the right to make the surcharge, up to the indicated amount. ken

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the surcharge would be if there are 4 people in a cabin. Seemed like there was a maximum per cabin?

this is all it says on the carnival site.

The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel

Last time they charged $5 for extra pax, but they show they can charge up to $9 for each person if they so choose. Luckily they arent choosing to do so now.

Archived