Adult Drink Package is Back

EMc

[quote name='robl45']If one person buys the card, is it a big problem for both people to drink? My wife drinks a good deal but I hardly drink, i'm not going to spend the money for both of us but it seems like it would be a good deal for one of us to get it and just go up to the bar twice or something like that. Is that a possibility? I understand that at dinner it would be obvious, but I can do without drinking at dinner. what about at the disco or something, if my wife went up once and got a drink, can she go up 2 minutes later and get another one? Also, what if she were to get a coke and a drink at dinner? Does that cause a problem?[/QUOTE]

Good question! I'd like the answer to that as well. For example, I don't drink much except water during the day, but love to have wine at dinner. Hubby may consume 6 or 8 beers throughout the entire day. We may enjoy a martini or 2 in our room while getting ready for dinner... what if he goes to get his at one bar, and then I go get mine at another? What about room service?

Actually, I wouldn't be cheating because our bar bill for the both of us would probably be 100 dollars less than the price of one card. I just feel more at ease paying up front then thinking about the money the whole cruise.

[quote name='JH1002']Buying one card and using for more than one person...that's called cheating. So the "problem" lies in are you a cheater? I am absolutely sure that any number of folks can and will make arguments as to why this would be okay. So ultimately it comes down to "am I willing to cheat?" Just because you can do something, get away with it doesn't mean you should.
Just my thoughts...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='happy go lucky']okay is this a joke or what...How true is it?[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I have been thinking the whole time! I'm sure that they did offer it on this particular cruise. I hope that they offer it on my cruise, but everyone at RCL that I have asked has never heard of it. I'm thinking that they probably were just doing it for that particular cruise or something. I hope they start doing it again, but it seems I'm the only one who has called and asked about this becoming the norm. They could be testing it out in the market, you never know.

Myurick - for a "each to their own" type of person, you certainly offer a strong opinion.

Yes, your math is correct, I will indeed imbibe 7 drinks from 5:00 to 1 or 2 in the morning and I likely will NOT be staggering back to my room. I'll just get DH to roll me instead!! :D However, martinis cost more than fruity drinks, and I like liqueurs after dinner which also cost more than $6.00, so I continue to think that the card, if indeed it is to be offered, would be better in my situation.

Stretch - all is well, had a great holiday season - looking forward to New Year's tomorrow night - will drink a toast to you and Carol for a great Alaska cruise! We're looking forward to our AOS in March and will hopefully join up with you on another cruise!

I think it's a great idea, and we'd probably take advantage of it. We drank quite a bit on our 3-night Disney cruise (and no, we weren't sloppy drunk!). If it includes drinks AND water, that's the best of both worlds. One drink, one bottle of water, one drink, one bottle of water, and so on. Keeps you relatively sober and hydrated!

I love this idea, however I will miss being woke up by the pursers staff when they can't fit our final bill under the door. Do we get to keep the cute logo glasses from the specialty drinks? If we do were do we put all of them the cabins are only so big you know. :)

We're on the Brilliance this Monday and hope the deal is still working. Reports say it does include water, soda, wine at dinner, and more. We gonna get it if still available.
You gotta realize other ways RCL profits from this: Less paper work for the bartender. The busiest bars may have two people working. Now, without all the receipt/signing hassle, maybe one could handle it. Bars will be more efficient. How about all that accounting work that someone handles with all those receipts? Less work there. They'll even save more, using less paper, a minor savings but the bean counters will love it.
Hey, some of us will drink enuf to take advantage of it and save a few $$$. But on the majority, RCL will gain $$$.
We have one major problem, however. Do we pack the wine we wanted to take with us Monday? If the Brill has the deal we won't need it. Guess we gotta pack it anyway just in case the deal is not offered. If it is, it'll still be nice to have a bottle of wine close by in the room.

Hey, Pumba, are you going to post from the ship? Inquiring minds will be waiting eagerly for your report.

As for the wine, for us it's not so much a matter of price but of quality. If you carry your own wine because you don't like anything on their wine list, this won't help.

Have a fantastic cruise.

Carol

[quote name='stillfrantic']I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but I'm guessing it isn't very nice.....:confused:[/QUOTE]

Not so much that I was trying to be unkind, but more that every time someone posts something basically rude about Carnival (they are low class or heavy drinkers or what have you compared to "high class" RCI pax) there are posters who come to Carnival's (and their pax) defense. By which I mean (and I have no personal experience on Carnival) that it is not appropriate (IMO) to assume that only Carnival pax are heavy drinkers. Look at some of the posts on RCI regarding bar bills, etc. RCI pax are no slackers in the alcohol consumption area. Thus, I felt your "this isn't Carnival" comment either was meant to provoke a defense of Carnival or was simply incorrect.

beachchick

Pumbaamd: Please let us know if this is really available. We'll be on the AOS in 22 days (yeah!) and would be very interested - especially if it's fleet-wide. Not only could it potentially save one money, it would be so convenient not to have to present your SeaPass card every time you ordered a drink (or bottled water or coffee), then add the extra tip (yes, we benerally add extra tips to our bar bills). Saving money and time on vacation - good idea? Yes. Anyway, I'm sure RCCL would probably lose money on us too.;)

Anyone sailing on Serenade, please let us know if the program is available. Also if possible please post what type of wine is included for the dining room. I think the card sounds like a great deal, depending on what wines are included. We usually get a bottle with dinner, but the wines in the wine package are not to our taste usually so we like to bring it with us. Luggage will be lighter if the new drink pkg pans out -

Overall it sounds like a good deal to me with the coffee/water/soda included

[quote name='beachchick']Not so much that I was trying to be unkind, but more that every time someone posts something basically rude about Carnival (they are low class or heavy drinkers or what have you compared to "high class" RCI pax) beachchick[/QUOTE]
Nope, I never referred to anyone as high class. Class is a word used by people who have none.

to hear if anyone else has experienced this offer on this or any other ship? Not doubting that you did... just wondering if this is a one ship/ one cruise test or what?:o
TIA
A
[b][i][color=red]FINALLY in double digits! :D [/color][/i][/b]

[quote name='stillfrantic']Nope, I never referred to anyone as high class. Class is a word used by people who have none.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say you said "low class" or "high class." I was using it as an example of what some posters do write. So what exactly did you mean then by "this isn't Carnival"? RCI pax are just as heavy in the drinking department as Carnaval (at least from what I can tell). It certainly seemed like you were trying to insinuate that RCI pax are somehow better than Carnival pax.

Oh, and if I refer to someone as "classy," as in "She sure is a classy woman," I had no idea that must mean that I have no class. How did you come to the conclusion that people who use the word class have none? Very odd.

beachchick

[QUOTE]Not so much that I was trying to be unkind, but more that every time someone posts something basically rude about Carnival (they are low class or heavy drinkers or what have you compared to "high class" RCI pax) there are posters who come to Carnival's (and their pax) defense. By which I mean (and I have no personal experience on Carnival) that it is not appropriate (IMO) to assume that only Carnival pax are heavy drinkers. Look at some of the posts on RCI regarding bar bills, etc. RCI pax are no slackers in the alcohol consumption area. Thus, I felt your "this isn't Carnival" comment either was meant to provoke a defense of Carnival or was simply incorrect.[/QUOTE]
I do have experience on Carnival and I completely agree with you beachick!!!
[QUOTE]I think I would put them out of business...talk about creating a party atmosphere with people piling on to make sure they got their monies worth. Oh no...here it comes. ewww...it would be like Carnival...drunks everywhere...please RCCL don't do it...![/QUOTE]
So reading your first sentence you might put them out of business with how much you would drink but Carnival is full of drunks :confused:

We have been on 2 Carnival cruises and 2 RCCL cruises, when getting ready to book again my wife said she preferred RCCL. I asked her why and she told me she felt RCCL was a better party ship. She wasn't talking about the drinking aspect but on the 2 RCCL cruises we left with great new friends from all over the country. As far as the drink card goes it would be nice to know what your bill will be not have have to worry about how high of a tab you might be running.

[quote name='trixiee']Good question! I'd like the answer to that as well. For example, I don't drink much except water during the day, but love to have wine at dinner. Hubby may consume 6 or 8 beers throughout the entire day. We may enjoy a martini or 2 in our room while getting ready for dinner... what if he goes to get his at one bar, and then I go get mine at another? What about room service?[/QUOTE]
This would be one of the reasons they may not offer a card. Is this not a form of stealing to you? Is this not like buying 1 ticket to a movie and trying to get 2 people in? When you go to a bar can you pay one cover charge and go to the back door and let the other person in? Those of us who live life by the rules usually end up paying for those that don't. It's just like shoplifting..prices on the merchandise must go up to pay for what was stolen so we all pay for that. If many people try to get 2 for the price of one you can bet RCCL will not be offering a drink card for us honest folks any time soon:mad:

if they feel the card is a success maybe other lines will follow suit or at least celebrity. celebrity gives you champagne when you board which i think is a nice touch. if you buy the card you are not spending anymore money than if you went to an all-inclusive resort and i love the freedom of that. it makes your cruise all-inclusive. please post if any other lines offerr this. thanks

I think everyone understands that the drink card is for ONE PERSON. While you might "get away with" an occasional drink at the poolside bar for the spouse, it would be stealing.

I think Pumpaamd is probably onto something here: RC would benefit greatly from reduced paperwork. Considering the incredible mark-up on alcohol, there's no way RC would "lose money" on even the heaviest drinker -- in fact, I think their profit margin would increase because most people won't drink the 7-10 drinks per day necessary to reach the "break even" part. I think people would buy it though because it'd make them feel free to imbibe all they want.

Archived