I need help

sappygirl

Just found out today DH may not be able to go on cruise at the end of the month due to now having 2 employees out on sick leave. We are still holding on to hope but it does not look promising. What would some of my options be at this time? I could possibly take my 20 year old but there may be birth certificate issues that I will have check into tom. I did not book ES thank goodness so I can do name change. What is the latest time one can change a name? If I decide to cruise alone what do I need to do? Any info you can give me would be appreciated. Oh and I did purchase insurance through Carnival if that helps. Thanks!

Just found out today DH may not be able to go on cruise at the end of the month due to now having 2 employees out on sick leave. We are still holding on to hope but it does not look promising. What would some of my options be at this time? I could possibly take my 20 year old but there may be birth certificate issues that I will have check into tom. I did not book ES thank goodness so I can do name change. What is the latest time one can change a name? If I decide to cruise alone what do I need to do? Any info you can give me would be appreciated. Oh and I did purchase insurance through Carnival if that helps. Thanks!

Sorry to hear of this situation. If you go alone you don't need to do anything, just show up. Name change? not sure of the time frame but my guess would be no later than 3 days before sailing or so. Call carnival and ask them. Be advised there is a fee for a name change. Birth cert. or passport is a MUST for your 20 year old.

As far as insurance goes you need to check your policy to see if it covers cancellation for this reason. 99 out of 100 do NOT for your situation.

Hope it works out for you.

Michele, if your son does go.... he's got to have his DL with him also.

Hopefully this won't happen and your DH can join you!!

My thoughts and prayers to you both!!!

I will be going to the Health clinic tom. to see about a BC. He has one here but I am not sure if it is certified. He has DL that is no problem. When we were getting our passports we had to get new BC but they were the small cards that they gave us at the Health Clinic. It worked to get passport but I don't think it will work to get on board with, it doesn't have a raised seal. I'm not sure they even give out the long ones there. I may have to get one through vitalchek which I was trying to avoid because of price but will do what I have to.

The Carnival Insurance won't cover your situation. ken

I will be going to the Health clinic tom. to see about a BC. He has one here but I am not sure if it is certified. He has DL that is no problem. When we were getting our passports we had to get new BC but they were the small cards that they gave us at the Health Clinic. It worked to get passport but I don't think it will work to get on board with, it doesn't have a raised seal. I'm not sure they even give out the long ones there. I may have to get one through vitalchek which I was trying to avoid because of price but will do what I have to.

If the card worked for the passport, then it it is an official copy and will work for the ship. Not all bc have raised seals anymore -- I think the raised seal is becoming a thing of the past. But, if he has a passport, why are you worrying about the birth certificate? Take the passport and no problem.

I hope more knowledgeable CCers can help you but my thought is: If it was good enought to get a passport, isn't it good enough to get onboard? My marriage certificate and DD's BC (both state-issued) do not have raised seals but are stamped. Hope DH gets to go with you but you are smart to plan on the "just in case."

Did you book through Carnival or your travel agent? If you booked through your travel agent, perhaps they used a different insurance company where more of these policies are including a cancel for any reason. If you used the Carnival Insurance - good luck. Better to pay the extra money for the raised seal than to be turned away at the pier and lose all the money.

When we were getting our passports we had to get new BC but they were the small cards that they gave us at the Health Clinic. It worked to get passport but I don't think it will work to get on board with, it doesn't have a raised seal. I'm not sure they even give out the long ones there.

Wait--- your son has a passport? If that is the case, you do not need to bring the birth certificate. You only need one or the other.

I'm guessing the OP meant that when she and DH were getting their passports they used the bc card; not a passport for the son. I could be wrong because I have been known to be wrong before. :D

That was my take also but I also have been known to be wrong.. if you ask my children.. I've never been known to be right.

If the card worked for the passport, then it it is an official copy and will work for the ship. Not all bc have raised seals anymore -- I think the raised seal is becoming a thing of the past. But, if he has a passport, why are you worrying about the birth certificate? Take the passport and no problem.

He does'nt have a passport. I was talking about when DH and I had got ours. Thank's for the help guys. I called the Health Clinic today and I should be able to get his BC today.

I hope more knowledgeable CCers can help you but my thought is:
If it was good enought to get a passport, isn't it good enough to get onboard?
My marriage certificate and DD's BC (both state-issued) do not have raised seals but are stamped. Hope DH gets to go with you but you are smart to plan on the "just in case."

You are probably right but I didn't want to take a chance and be turned away at the port.

I'm guessing the OP meant that when she and DH were getting their passports they used the bc card; not a passport for the son. I could be wrong because I have been known to be wrong before. :D

You were correct this time.:D

He does'nt have a passport. I was talking about when DH and I had got ours. Thank's for the help guys. I called the Health Clinic today and I should be able to get his BC today.

Good deal. Some states use raised seals, some don't. It's a state-by-state thing. So don't be surprised if it doesn't have a raised seal. Just as long as it's issued under your state's guidelines for birth certificates (which again, varies from state to state) you should be good to go.

That was my take also but I also have been known to be wrong..

if you ask my children.. I've never been known to be right.

My children are the same way. I just keep telling them over and over that Mom knows everything.:D;) Maybe one day they will believe it. A girl can only dream.:D

Cool. Hoping hubby gets to go with you but if not, you're set.

Things may be looking up. Sick employee #1 was able to push Dr. visit to next Thur. so we are hoping he will get released. If so DH should be able to go. If not, I was able to get DS BC today so we will have back up. Thanks for all your well wishes and advice.:D

Things may be looking up. Sick employee #1 was able to push Dr. visit to next Thur. so we are hoping he will get released. If so DH should be able to go. If not, I was able to get DS BC today so we will have back up. Thanks for all your well

wishes and advice.:D

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Mother/son time is nice.. but that special DH and DW time is very special.

Archived