Shell Question?

I just reminded my MIL that we are leaving in a few weeks on the Freedom. She asked me to bring back one of those shells that you can hear the ocean (Conch Shell, I'm sure). My question is .... Can I legally bring one back? I know plants and stuff are taboo. Not sure about shells. Does anyone know the answer to this?

I just reminded my MIL that we are leaving in a few weeks on the Freedom. She asked me to bring back one of those shells that you can hear the ocean (Conch Shell, I'm sure). My question is .... Can I legally bring one back? I know plants and stuff are taboo. Not sure about shells. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Yes, you can buy one for a couple bucks.

Allot of souvenir shops carry them with the Islands name painted on it. So, I think legally you can since its a souvenir. I found this beautiful shell once at St Thomas and when I got home, I felt so guilty that some little creature lost his / her home or was looking for a new one, that when we went back the following year, I took it back and tossed it back in the water. I personally dont take anything home that is native to the island. ( shells, rocks, sand....etc. ) We are there to visit and explore...leave these things for others to see as well, so I dont take anything and I live by that on every cruise. :)

Hi just spotted your question on here. Funny but although I am in the UK it was only last week that I was watching a programme regarding people taking Conche Shells into New Zealand from their holidays. It turned out that they are on the endangered list which I assume is world-wide.

Having said this I must admit that I did buy one from St. Vincent a couple of years ago and it sits very nicely in my bathroom but feel very guilty since seeing this programme and you do see them for sale on every island.

If the ship stops in Key West someone will be selling them and also shell shops in USA seaside resorts sell them like nearby Ocean City and Fenwick Island .The Conch Fritters at Sloppy Joes in Key West are Yummy along with a local Brew

:cj

Edited by Captain Jake

If the ship stops in Key West someone will be selling them and also shell shops in USA seaside resorts sell them like nearby Ocean City and Fenwick Island .The Conch Fritters at Sloppy Joes in Key West are Yummy along with a local Brew

There are quite a few souvenier shops in OC that have the shells. Any time you come to the eastern shore, you will see them for sale. Happy travels.

Went to Bahamas, St. Thomas, and Tortola in April. I brought back shells from the beach in my luggage. I had no problems and they made wonderful souvenirs.

I also brought back sand from each beach we visited and filled little bottles with them, then tagged the bottle with the name of the beach. Love them!!

The Triton is a natural predator of the Crown of Thorns. The Crown of Thorns destroys reefs. If we buy the Triton shells more will be harvested for "inventory". If we don't buy them then they won't harvest any more of these animals. So far the Crown of Thorns is in the Pacific and Indian Oceans but they do move around.

Please read the following. See Natural Predators (Giant Triton)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown-of-Thorns_Starfish

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Went to Bahamas, St. Thomas, and Tortola in April. I brought back shells from the beach in my luggage. I had no problems and they made wonderful souvenirs.

I also brought back sand from each beach we visited and filled little bottles with them, then tagged the bottle with the name of the beach. Love them!!

Sorry, but I have to ask...What if every tourist did this, sooner or later there will be no shells for the critters and sand for people to enjoy. IMO, this stuff is for our visual pleasure, not to take home and put on our desk. It belongs in the Sea. I think more Islands are asking people to not take shells. I read an interesting article recently. We ( humans ) are eating more fish and shellfish...etc and they cannot reproduce fast enough ( supply vs demand ) and many of them will soon be on the endangered list. Conch is just a start. Do you know that Cats in America eat more Tuna than any of its natural predators? This is all done by commercial fishermen, let alone all the illegal poaching of Sharks for Shark Fin Soup and Japan slaughtering hundreds of whales. WOW , I got way off topic there....sorry, but you get my drift. Let the shells for the critters !! :)

Queen Conch shells are illegal to import into Canada no matter where they were purchased. I believe the same is true of the USA.

Not according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Read the article...

"You may import queen conch into the United States from parts of the Caribbean not subject to the trade prohibitions, provided it is allowed by the country of export and it is accompanied by any required CITES documents."

When we did a private excursion in the Cayman Islands to do the Stingray swim, our smaller boat stopped several places on the way to the sandbar and the crew dove for conch. They came up with 5 or 6 nice live conch which they proceeded to pull out of the shell. Said they would have conch stew for dinner. They gave each of us one of the empty shells and I cleaned it up on the ship and carried it home.

That being said, I can't imagine if every small boat did this, there would be no conchs left in that area. So not sure what to make of the whole thing.

When you pick up conch shells and other large shells from the beach, you run the risk of there being some animal inside. Trust me, you don't want to put one of those shells in your luggage. When you get home, you won't even want to claim the bag at the luggage carousel, much less take it home and unpack it.

We observed this happen to a family that were on one of our flights. Their kids had picked up some shells and some had critters, when they died they really made a stink!

There are quite a few souvenier shops in OC that have the shells. Any time you come to the eastern shore, you will see them for sale. Happy travels.

Just a "Hi!" from another Delmarvan! :)

I was wondering something along the same lines - when we go to Green Turtle Cay, in The Bahamas, conch seems to be a staple food. They eat it ALOT! (And so do I, while there. ;)) Can it be that ALL conch is endangered? I find it hard to believe.

Edited by ShakyBeef
spelling error

Yes, they are for sale everywhere.

If you're lucky, you might find one abandoned on a remote beach somewhere...just make sure it's occupant is gone!!!:eek:

On most islands, you can take shells that have washed up on the beach but nothing from the water.

When hubby went on a cruise over 10 years ago there was a guy selling shells and coral and such. He bought a lot of Kowries (spelling) and a huge brain coral.....well he didn't know at the time...but they were still alive. His luggage reeked big time. He got the stuff home cleaned it all really well and we still have it all....but he learned to at least make sure it is dead...or bring baggies to keep the stuff in till you are home.

With our conch shell the crew took the conch meat out. I took the shell back to the ship and our room attendant got us a bucket of water with bleach and a brush. We let the shell soak overnight, then cleaned it off with the brush, then let the sun dry it. It came out beautiful. I know if you don't get all the meat out it will smell to high heaven!!!

Allot of souvenir shops carry them with the Islands name painted on it. So, I think legally you can since its a souvenir. I found this beautiful shell once at St Thomas and when I got home, I felt so guilty that some little creature lost his / her home or was looking for a new one, that when we went back the following year, I took it back and tossed it back in the water. I personally dont take anything home that is native to the island. ( shells, rocks, sand....etc. ) We are there to visit and explore...leave these things for others to see as well, so I dont take anything and I live by that on every cruise. :)

The original inhabitant of the shell (a conch) was eaten at a restaurant, and no longer needs his or her shell.

You can feel secure that your conch shell purchase will not cause the eviction of any living creature. The conch has long been eaten as a savory chowder or cracked-conch, or fritter.

The original inhabitant of the shell (a conch) was eaten at a restaurant, and no longer needs his or her shell.

You can feel secure that your conch shell purchase will not cause the eviction of any living creature. The conch has long been eaten as a savory chowder or cracked-conch, or fritter.

I meant other shell creatures.....;)