Shell Question?

It's a big temptation, but you should never take any rock or shell away from its natural environment, even buying them is just as bad because, so long as there is a market for them, irresponsible traders will continue to decimate the beaches, or import them - which is another thing, you don't know for sure if the shell you are buying is local or comes from thousands of miles away!

I have been guilty of it in the past, but now just look and leave, especially in more exotic locations.

Your little rock or shell might seem trivial in the grand scheme of things, but if everyone did it then it could have a detrimental affect on the area.

Went to Bahamas, St. Thomas, and Tortola in April. I brought back shells from the beach in my luggage. I had no problems and they made wonderful souvenirs.

I also brought back sand from each beach we visited and filled little bottles with them, then tagged the bottle with the name of the beach. Love them!!

I do the same. It's nice to display those items so you can visually remember the places you've explored.

• 4 years later...
In both Nassau and St. Thomas the small little shells I found on the beach were taken from me in security. One of my favorite things to do is find shells on the beach. However the one I purchased and they unwrapped it, they let me keep.

I remember our very first cruise to Nassau being told that bringing back shells was illegal/not allowed. Anything purchased from a retail store is probably fine. I would check with the ship before going ashore as to what is and isn't allowed.

As for the PP who brought back Coral. That is a big no no and has been for quite a while. Coral is protected due to the reefs being endangered. This we were also told on several cruises. Although coral that washes ashore is usually dead. Coral is a living being, not a shell.

Edited by BND