AOS 12/12 Bummer...

Suzie500k

I do not think I will ever sail out of SJ again,,RCL sold off cabins..for $310 for 2 people....reach your own conclusion,,also few staff members were ever to be seen,,the Windjammer,,was more like PeopleJammer..,,after the Brilliance,,I guess I am spoiled,,our waiter was very good,,our cabin attendent was very good,,but staff was invisable after that, the public bathrooms were very dirty...kids in the adult pools...anyone else have these complaints of this cruise...I add this didn't ruin our cruise,,as the weather was PERFECT,,and the beaches were Perfect,,therefore,,any cruise is better than a week at WORK~

It affects me,,when staff admits,,their lack of enthusiasim,due to fact many passengers didn't leave ship at ports,,many left no tips,,shows were embassassingly empty., excursions were cancelled due to lack of interest....Also I think perhaps offering full paying passengers..whom paid a lot more,,for a lesser cabin,,a small upgrade..would have been nice..before they offered cabins at very reduced rates..this is my view,,and the boards are our opinions,,is that right,,you may have missed the fact we always have a great cruise...

It affects me,,when staff admits,,their lack of enthusiasim,due to fact many passengers didn't leave ship at ports,,many left no tips,,shows were embassassingly empty., excursions were cancelled due to lack of interest....Also I think perhaps offering full paying passengers..whom paid a lot more,,for a lesser cabin,,a small upgrade..would have been nice..before they offered cabins at very reduced rates..this is my view,,and the boards are our opinions,,is that right,,you may have missed the fact we always have a great cruise...

Absolutely you have that right. So, if I buy a cabin for $1 and you buy the one next door for $2000. I have harmed you. Got it! Thanks for explaining.:)

jc

Why do you care what other people pay for their cruise? How does that affect your vacation? I get the best price I can from my TA and then go on my vacation and enjoy myself. I have no interest in knowing what others pay and find it rude of you to ask. I am on the AOS on 1/23/05 and looking forward to my vacation.

Susi,

I was on the AOS on Nov. 28th and the exact same thing happened. I have cruised with RCCL 9 times and have never had the cruise like I did in Nov. There was a family (grandmother, daughter and several kids) in a balcony room and the mom told us she paid $300. for the entire family. Now my DH and I paid $579.pp (not including taxes and port charges) for an inside cabin on Deck 9. They could have upgraded us and put this family in an inside (since they paid $75. pp). The loyalty ambassador and the wait staff and the room attendants all complained but to no avail. The loyalty ambassador helped us book for next year and strongly suggested that we not sail out of San Juan. It is bad when the ship staff complain. I do feel that RCCL is taking advantage of their loyal customers and giving away service to the locals in San Juan.

Cindy ;)

Hey Steve & Judy,

There are several of us that have "met" via the following board. Weare all on the 1/23/2005 AOS sailing. Please join us there and also sign up for the Meet & Mingle.

AOS 1/23/2005 Board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=15800&page=3&pp=25

Meet & Mingle sign up:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Mark

HI !

Suzie500k :

I just want to Say Its imposible that a cruise Line ( Rccl ) sold a cruise for $ 310.00 for 2 people sice the cost of the port charges are $ 334.10 for the 2 people ( $167.05 each here in Puerto Rico ) .Or maybe rccl Is paying to the port authorities $ 24 .00 or more to get people onboard . I dont think so. ;)

The same to raerae . A balcony for $ 300.00 maybe it was a free cruise and she has to pay the port charges of all the islands . again there are $ 167.05 pp . You dont see the big price of port charges sice in USA you get a total price . But thats totaly appart from the cruise price if the cruise Line do not pay for each passenger the ship cant be on port . and I dont think rccl is paying so that a passenger get onboard the ship . If so they are not getting any money they are loosing it .

Another point here in Puerto Rico the Tips are prepaid for any cruise .

:eek:

Great DAY !

i gave MY view..I didn't ASK people what they paid,,I saw it,,and printed it out off the RCI website the Friday 12/10 BEFORE I left..I dont want argument,,smart remarks,,I merely am telling,,what happened to me,,I am not asking anyone not to cruise out of SJ,,I praised the cruise overalll..the waiter,,room attendent, what is the purpose of these boards if when a person states his/her opinion,,they get hammered? If you don't like what I said,,IGNORE it,,..this is RIDICULIOUS~Thanks of those who are opened minded,,and just reply,, :))

i gave MY view..I didn't ASK people what they paid,,I saw it,,and printed it out off the RCI website the Friday 12/10 BEFORE I left..I dont want argument,,smart remarks,,I merely am telling,,what happened to me,,I am not asking anyone not to cruise out of SJ,,I praised the cruise overalll..the waiter,,room attendent, what is the purpose of these boards if when a person states his/her opinion,,they get hammered? If you don't like what I said,,IGNORE it,,..this is RIDICULIOUS~Thanks of those who are opened minded,,and just reply,, :))
Suzie500k

Please don't be upset about some of the replies here. You are absolutely have the right to express your opinion. "Unreal" is the word to use. So many times on these boards I saw threads turning into something that OP didn't even mean..

By the way,those who read MY posts on this topic, know. I will NEVER sail from SJ again.

MY experience, MY opinion. Not forcing anything on others AND do NOT mean whatever you think I "mean". Just in case someone tries to pin their points of views on me.

(Counting minutes for this thread to be deleted...again)

this is RIDICULIOUS~Thanks of those who are opened minded,,and just reply

HI !

I am just giving my opion as a travel Agent that work for In the Rccl International offices in Puerto Rico . If you see that price its ok , maybe one or two caceled at last time cabins. but I just want everybody to now that now more that a 1 % or leess.

Great DAY !

:D

I was on that cruise, it was wonderful. We booked in March since the week before christmas was the cheapest rate. I felt we got a great deal, about $1300 for a balconey stateroom. I checked the RCCL website frequently ( 2-3 times a day)up to the day they removed the cruise, which I believe is 72 hours prior to sailing to check for an upgrade but the ship was sold out. We had several natives at our table and I saw them tip the waitstaff.

The shows were empty, I did feel bad for the performers, especially for Drifters ( who were wonderful) the ship was oversold, had 3700 passengars that is why is why crowded it has nothing to do with being out of San Juan. Our excursions were all full, we took several, Aruba and St Martin. Our tablemates only had one trip cancelled.

I was distressed by the number of mainland Americans complaining about the multicultural experience. We were in the minority as a Mainland American, irt was an unique experience for us, but not unpleasant. Would go to San Juan again for us it was a good experience

Alexkrn46,

I know what you mean. When I was on the Carnival Paradise last year lots of people complained about Belize and Honduras saying that they were rundown and scary and they wouldn't get off the ship. I wanted to smack them. The people were so friendly and we loved both countries. While in Honduras, the owner of the spa we went to (she's american) told us, "You don't fly to Paris, walk around the airport and say you saw Paris. One town does not represent an entire country." I thrive on that multi-cultural experience!

Lets all remember to be politically correct now and not offend anyone.

I am sure that RCL would rather sell a cabin at a lower price than see it go empty.

I am also sure I would be upset if I paid big bucks to eat at a nice restaurant and there were "street people" at the next table (who the restaurant let in at a reduced price just to fill the space). Not saying the locals are street people, just making a comparison.

Let the flaming begin!

We were on this cruise and I will NEVER subject myself to it again. The entire pool area was not available to us as it was completely taken up by the 1800 "multicultural" pax. We couldn't relax and listen to the music. The adult pool had children in it without parents. Kids were running around at 11:30PM (6 year olds). Trying to grab a bite at the Windjammer was nearly impossible without bucking the crowd. Forget S.J.

You are so right. You did not ask me to not cruise out of SJ. I too gave MY opinion on the boards and it seems some people just don't want to hear that I agree with you and was disappointed. I too had fun because we made it fun...however it is still discouraging that locals travel sooooo much cheaper. Sad too, that the mom from SJ that told us they all cruised for $300. had to lie to us. What about all the others that have heard from the locals that they are cruising at ridiculously low prices....are those locals lying too???

MY opinion....I will not cruise out of San juan again...MY opinion...I will not vacation and spend MY hard earned $ there again.

Hope you have a good day Susie...you are entitled to your opinion and let's just say I agree with you wholeheartedly and have the same opinion!! :D

Cindy ;)

I did AOS SJ in 2003 and would probably never sail it again...we felt the airport and transportation logistics were terrible and it took forever to get in and out. It was the equivalent of an entire day. Plus it's not a short flight, and we can cruise to those places from US ports.

Also, was not appreciative of the hotel shuffling that went on by RCCL. We booked a lovely boutique hotel the night before and were bumped three times to cheaper and cheaper places the two weeks before the cruise. My TA intervened and got us moved to somewhere decent three days before we sailed. Strangely enough, we had weather problems and missed our overnight stay, but we heard some awful stories about the hotel situation and our TA said that the "bait and switch" was common for the hotel packages in SJ (can't say for other places).

So for the logistics problems we encountered, confirmed by other people sailing from SJ, we're cruising from other ports from now on.

BTW, I also thought certain behaviors by passengers were annoying on AOS, but to be honest, annoying people are encountered everywhere. The scooter crowd and the tweens pull regularly stunts on cruises (and other vacation spots...to be fair) that spike my blood pressure. But I keep reminding myself that I can't change them and that the only person hurt by my irritation is me (and my DH!).

Cheers,

Esther

I was in the November 28 sailing of the AOS, my fifth in this ship. I have been reading about low prices given to "locals" for some time now. Being myself a "local", I have searched for this looooow prices and believe me, I have not found them anywere. I have always paid around $1045 for an I category cabin for each passenger, which is not cheap.

As for special prices for "locals", check http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/RCL.pdf They post specials every Tuesday. Sometimes they have what they call "resident" specials, which, I believe, is the same as "local" specials. This resident specials only apply to US residents in specific ports. That is, mainland residents.

As for those not being comfortable in "multicultural" groups, well, I´m so sorry for you, since the only consequence that a multicultural experience will have in your person, will be to enrichen your personal culture. If your choice is to deny yourself of that enrichment, it is your choice.

Sad too, that the mom from SJ that told us they all cruised for $300. had to lie to us. What about all the others that have heard from the locals that they are cruising at ridiculously low prices....are those locals lying too???

Nop , they are not lying . I have make this explication before and I am going to make it again .

Here in Puerto Rico the cruise price is separate from the port charges . and example if you see on a Puerto Ricans newspaper $ 350.00 p/p on a cruise you would think wao ! :eek: what a great price . But if you look closer theres anotther charge " $ 167.05 "port charges , thats for the adventure p/p . And now the real cruise price is $ 517.05 . So see theres anythin especial whit the price . now you undertand what I said ? everybody say I got the cruise for X price but that ++++ the port charges that here in Puerto Rico are diferent . $ 167.05 p/p .

Here every single person talks abaut the cruise price apart from the port charges .Example .... I got my cruise for $ 300.00 .EHH ! :p . You dont ? . ohh that plus the port charges .

The Puerto Ricans dont realy have a total from the cruise . If the cruise is $ 350.00 ( 4 ) = 1,400 total . for the cruise

THEN we charge the port charges appart . 167.05 ( 4 ) = $ 668.20

Then we have a total they dont ..........................

Understand Why they said the got their cruises so cheap ?????????????????

I sailed on the AOS out of San Juan twice. Both times I had a fabulous cruise. I loved the ship, the crew, and my fellow passengers. I will say that on the first cruise, the majority of the passengers were Puerto Rican (10/03). The second cruise, (3/04), the majority were American.

I've never heard of R.C. offering such a low cabin price...especially for the balcony room. Are you saying that this low price, last minute deal is only for residents of Puerto Rico? I've been told by numerous travel agents that the pricing on R. C. goes up the closer to sail time.

I say, show me how to get a balcony cabin for $400 for my family of 4 and I'll be there tomorrow!

I don't understand why separating the port charges from the cruise price makes a difference....wouldn't the locals have to pay both anyway? So why would they say they only paid the reduced rate?

Well, my bottom line is that I LOVE the Adventure of the Seas. I don't care who the other passengers are, or what they paid for their cabin. All I care about is that I am on the ship and loving it!

I don't understand why separating the port charges from the cruise price makes a difference....wouldn't the locals have to pay both anyway? So why would they say they only paid the reduced rate?

Yes they paid both , but here I dont now how to explain it , The Puerto Ricans have in mind , Just to say that the Port Charges are not for the cruise or the cruise line , they think it is a TOTAL appart for the cruise price .

For and example if get and airplane ticket you get a price , but that is plus taxes and charges but you like the good price no thinking abaut all the taxes ?? understand me ? :o

I did not SAY RCI sold cheap cabins to people just from PR,,I did not say people from only PR did not leave tips..I didnt mention ONE word about the people from PR...I did say RCI sold cabins at a very reduced rate last miniute..,that the Windjammer was a joke,,that kids were in adult pools..PLEASE READ again,,I didnt say they were kids of any race or ethnicity.I said bathrooms were dirty....,that I enjoyed my waiter,,my cabin attendent..by the way I love PR,,just wont sail from there,,some of you make a mountain out of ONE persons' opinion,and don't even read things precisely & properly,,but comment on them..,,,,This quote from this thread... is as far fetched as they come,,," As for those not being comfortable in "multicultural" groups, well, I´m so sorry for you, since the only consequence that a multicultural experience will have in your person, will be to enrichen your personal culture. If your choice is to deny yourself of that enrichment, it is your choice" WHERE DID I SAY A THING ABOUT not being comfortable,,you don't even know what race I am..HELP~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~