AOS 12/12 Bummer...

Suzie500k

I believe that people that are so worried about any "locals" as described here and many other threads should stay home and that way you don't have to get all worked up on your paid vacation. I get so annoyed by the word "locals", like there are no "locals" in your area and do you move for that reason? Grow up and enjoy :p

We are sailing AOS in a suite to celebrate a special occasion November '05. What someone else paid for their cruise is not my concern. I would assume that RCI would try to book all the staterooms on any given cruise, and that last minute specials may or may not be offered depending on how booked the ship is. That is just good business, and RCI is in business to make money.

I've cruised into SJ twice on Century and EOS. On EOS, we hired a taxi to take our entire family to the rain forest, and the driver couldn't have been nicer. I'm searching around for his card for the fall trip.

IMO there are people on every cruise from every starting port who some people may consider "rude". When you put 3000+ pax on one ship that is inevitable. I suspect that applies even to the (supposedly) "higher class" QM2.

We are looking forward to our AOS cruise and our visit to PR in the fall, and the opportunity to try out a new itinerary, something different from the standard E/W Caribbean.

:D I've got my flame retardant suit firmly zipped up for this one. There ARE rude people everywhere. We had a fabulous time on the Jewel Dec 12 but I want to tell you that there were more grumpy old local Floridians on that cruise than on any other I have ever been on. And I LOVE old folks. Got a whole bunch of them in my family that I'd travel with any time. The eight of us spent the whole week telling funny stories about the grumpy people we encountered each day.:) How do I know that they were Floridians? Because we made a game out of it. Every time we heard one being miserable we'd smile and say, Oh hello, where are you folks from? 100% of those polled - Florida. Fire away!

Seems to me Finely, that's exactly what I said. There are rude people everywhere. Like I said, for this cruise in particular, that group stood out. People on these boards seem to continually say there are lots of rude people on cruises out of San Juan. I'm saying it's not only there. Right back at ya.

I am guessing some of the commments here have more to do with demographics and possibly religion more than they do with whether people are polite.

Your comment along with a few others point to that sterotype since particular locations are cited. Heck we know rude people are everywhere, that's the given. When what is suggested as rudeness is assigned to a particular country or state or location, I'm thinking we have gone way past the point of talking about rudeness and are really talking about something else.:rolleyes:

Now what is that supposed to mean based on where you are from???:cool: We vacation in South Jersey on a regular basis and there are plenty of people who vacation from Canada who could be commented on....

See how that works in reverse?:p ;)

With reference to your last post, looks like you're not immune either . See how that works in reverse?:rolleyes:

I am starting to think that negative experiences on sailing out of San Juan are the result of a sell-fulfilling prophecy. People are reading so many negative posts about it that they are leery to start with. Then one bad experience with an obnoxious person turns into a see, cruises out of SJ are filled with obnoxious people. I've cruised out of SJ twice now, and have not had the negative experience that people talk about. Maybe it's because I live in RI. It is a multicultural society and hearing Spanish is certainly not foreign here. Thus it is not scarey or foreign to hear it on the ship.

Pricing - that is a whole different issue. Since the airfare is so pricey, you'd think RCCL could price the cruise a little lower to start with and entice more people to fly down. Then they wouldn't have to do so much last minute discounting. I think it would behoove them to fill the ship at 80% of the price then have 1/2 ship at 100% and 1/2 ship at 50% - does this make any sense?

That was clearly not my last post and you intentionaly digress to rather than take accountabilty of the the point. I AM from New Jersey, and frankly have no issue with anyone on any cruise, heck the crew is from all over the world, and we have cruised out of San Juan twice and would do so again without hestitation!

And to you, since you are not from Florida, you take the time to post about Floridians who you seem to infer in your post to be a laughable test case which is represenative of some group you choose to reign above, I find your comments to lack of social grace on a board that is international, as I do the others with the same disguised display of intolerance.

Good Day goodml. :p ;)

I think the fares we have paid out of SJ are a bit less to offset the airefare costs. So I agree with your train of thought that they do discount to begin with to level out the cost of a cruise say from Florida.

Being from New Jersey, I find the same melting pot as you do, so we are perfectly accustomed to a multi-cultural environment, so we will still book our cruises on the itinerary and not where a ship sails from as much as where we want to go.

Your comment along with a few others point to that sterotype since particular locations are cited. Heck we know rude people are everywhere, that's the given. When what is suggested as rudeness is assigned to a particular country or state or location, I'm thinking we have gone way past the point of talking about rudeness and are really talking about something else.:rolleyes:

This was the 'last post' I was referring to. I quoted the previous one because it indicates that you had no problem doing the same to absolutely everyone in the country I come from. I guess your rules don't apply to you. Anyway, my original post was written to be slightly tongue in cheek, however apparently that escaped you. Don't worry, this horse is definitely dead and I'll not beat it again.

Last summer I booked a balcony for $680.00 p/p on the aos for october 30,2005. This will be our second sailing on this ship. I feel that the rates are cheaper because the flights are much more expensive then the U.S. ports.

On our last sailing we did have alot of locals and I did notice they booked right before our sailing because they had alot of empty cabins. I would definately take advantage of this if I lived in a port city. They really didn't bother me much. They were in very large groups and kept to themselves. This was three years ago. Hopefully the service and ship will not disappoint me this October

• 10 years later...

How did you expect them to fill the ship?

I do not think I will ever sail out of SJ again,,RCL sold off cabins..for $310 for 2 people....reach your own conclusion,,also few staff members were ever to be seen,,the Windjammer,,was more like PeopleJammer..,,after the Brilliance,,I guess I am spoiled,,our waiter was very good,,our cabin attendent was very good,,but staff was invisable after that, the public bathrooms were very dirty...kids in the adult pools...anyone else have these complaints of this cruise...I add this didn't ruin our cruise,,as the weather was PERFECT,,and the beaches were Perfect,,therefore,,any cruise is better than a week at WORK~

I don't understand why separating the port charges from the cruise price makes a difference....wouldn't the locals have to pay both anyway? So why would they say they only paid the reduced rate?

!

Look at it this way. Ever have someone say, "I didn't pay any income tax, I got a refund."? Of course, they had $3000 deducted and got a refund of $500 but they didn't pay any income tax.

It affects me,,when staff admits,,their lack of enthusiasim,due to fact many passengers didn't leave ship at ports,,many left no tips,,shows were embassassingly empty., excursions were cancelled due to lack of interest....Also I think perhaps offering full paying passengers..whom paid a lot more,,for a lesser cabin,,a small upgrade..would have been nice..before they offered cabins at very reduced rates..this is my view,,and the boards are our opinions,,is that right,,you may have missed the fact we always have a great cruise...
Like your moaning about someone else's good fortune at a reduced room rate........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And also don't believe half of these statements, sorry:eek: