destiny24th sept,anyone with us?

Hi there,

We are first time cruisers too. Departure date not that far away is it? I am hoping that we receive our travel documents soon so that we can see what excursions are on offer. We are getting more excited with each day. We don't know exactly what to expect but hope that it all goes well. Where are you flying from?

hi Tina,yes we,ll soon be on board relaxing i hope.were flying from cardiff where you taking off from? i,ll give you a link to click on which shows you what excursions are on offer and prices. i think if you click on= www.thomsonbeach.co.uk it should come up.i got them all printed off and even a rough guide to the drinks menu on board off someone.this site is full of helpfull experienced cruisers who are glad to help us novices.i,m looking forward to getting tickets as i,d like to know what cabin number weve got so i can look it up on the ships deck plan.were flying at 0700 by the way so hoping to have time to have some lunch on board and do the soller railway trip across the island.seen it on tv looks good i like a ride on the train. see you in a few weeks,listen for the welsh accents and ask if its jinks.cheers adrian.

Adrian, the Soller train is fab - I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. If it fits in with your schedule, you can also catch the slow bus back into Palma (not the direct one through the tunnel). It goes through Deia and Valledemosa and you get some stunning views along the way. You can pick up the timetable by doing a search of local Majorcan bus services if you fancy it. It was like doing an excursion on a coach and cost 3.65E if I remember correctly. Anyway, enjoy your trip - I'm sure you will. :)

P.S. If you catch the Linea 1 bus from the port entrance, it will save you quite a lot of time in getting to the main square where the train leaves from. Incidentally, the Soller train leaves from a small station to the left of the main railway station - there is a road between them if I remember correctly. Perhaps you already know this - but we spent some time trying to find the station when we went so it may save you wandering around looking for it!

Thanks for the link Adrian, hubby & I will continue to study this closely. Rome certainly has a lot to choose from. Went to the travel agent today, they told us that we could expect the documents roughly 2 wks in advance. I know vaguely where we booked a room,but it's been a while since we first made the reservations.

I hope things work out. I love water but I am a wee bit concerned about the "s. s " word, I hope things will be ok. Going to be positive about it. We thought we would trial a first cruise somewhere with calmer waters.

We will be flying from Bristol early so I hope that we can get settled quickly.

My husband is Bristolian and I am American so keep you ears open.

Also flying from Bristol on 24th Sept. first cruise can't wait now we're nearly in September just want those tickets in my hands. It's my husband's 53rd birthday the day we sail. We are on deck 4 or 5 outside cabin. We were originally booked on the Island Star before it was sold on to a Spanish cruise line and were offered several alternatives but went for Thomason Destiny. We are doing a cruise and stay so have a week to recover in Majorca (Alcudia) so return home on 8th October.

hi barniebuddy and tina,were on deck 4 or 5 inside tho,you bristolians must have more money than us welsh.we,ll have to all get together and have a drink and a laugh onboard.probably be at sailaway party we,ll keep an eye out for you all.its my wifes 60th the day we sail too so i told her i,ll buy her a drink[seeing as its A I.] i reckon we,ll have a brilliant time. by the way thanks kruzseeker for the info on soller train. the bus ride sounds brill i,d love to do that.see what i can find out.you bristols will be an hour in front of us as were flying at seven am so youll be onboard when we arrive. 4 weeks tomorrow we,ll be away.have you all seen the utube videos of destiny.type destiny videos in google box and loads come up.tour of ship,sailaway party lots more.TINA theres even one called;destiny in rough seas but its only a few seconds long.dont worry a few drinks you wont notice the weather.bon voyage, adrian.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

Less than 1 week now. Discovered that we are on deck 6 and at a late dinner setting. We have been looking at all the excursions. We have decided that we will probably do our own thing in Villefranche. I hear transport is easy, so we will be looking to take a train to somewhere. We initially thought Monte Carlo, being that hubby is a big F1 fan. We then decided that we wanted something more than from our day out. What about you folkes, have you made any plans for that area?

We are also thinking of doing the same thing in Palamos, though I haven't research local transport yet.

So who is showing up at Bristol Airport at 4am???

Hi all, it's getting close now can't wait. It will take us about 50 mins to get to Bristol airport so not sure what time we'll be leaving yet. Our daughter is taking us to airport so hope she gets up OK!!!! Want to get as much packing as poss done this weekend. Going to do some research on net this weekend for the different destinations haven't decided whether to do any organised Thomson ones, a friend at work that did this cruise in july says they can be a bit pricey but she had a fantastic time. Best wishes

really close now.tina we may just do the coach trip along the coast roads as its only 3 hrs and not too dear but not sure yet.i,d like to see prince reiners palace i liked grace kelly.[showing my age now]someone said you can catch the train up there.we,ll have a day at sea to think about it so no panic.get the shuttle back to ship for free lunch then maybe back to villefranche. barniebiddie my daughters taking us into cardiff were planning on leaving 0430 ish to be there for 5 am.as weve booked seats on plane we havent got to be there till 0530 and its only 1/2 hour or so.your an hour before us so its early for you.once onboard if time and if possible were going to do the soller train from palma.i really fancy that.anyway we,ll see when we get there,i,m sure we,ll meet somewhere onboard.c u all thursday.cant wait.adrian.

ahhh yes. I believe hubby mentioned a preference to the train. We shouldn't be hard to spot. Being Bristolian, he'll be the one wearing a cowboy hat. :rolleyes: Im the one who sounds out of place, still have my American accent I am told.

Our tickets say that last check in is at 4.30 so l guess the adrinaline is going to have to carry us over.

If we don't meet up, I'd like to wish you all a very happy experience. I haven't a clue what to expect.

All I have to fear, is the fear of sea sickness itself. I am going to try to remain positive and carry wristbands and ginger capsules.

It would be nice if we could all post our after thoughts on this thread afterwards.

Bon Voyage

dont worry tina its only in the nights we,ll be sailing except the ist day.we went on the isle of whight ferry once and my wife was feeling ill and we were still moored to the quayside.she was looking at the dock wall out of the window and it was up and down and she was green.an old sailor told her to stand up and she felt better then.me, i enjoy it when its rough i like to be out on deck getting wet,tho i went on the danish mini cruise once in a force 10 gale and tho i wasnt ill i was off my beer that trip.phew that was a rough crossing.i,m sure we,ll be fine in the med.we wont even know were sailing.as you say think positive.we,ll keep an eye out for you both[cowboy hat and american accent] me and the mrs are both welsh accents and 60[ish].i,m sure we,ll meet somewhere onboard. c u thurs,adrian and linda.

Have a great trip Adrian - also Tina. You could take some Stugeron tablets with you Tina (obtainable over the counter at Boots) - lots of people swear by them and they certainly work really well for me and I'm not a good traveller.

Let us know how you get on - I'm sure you'll have a fab time!

Bon Voyage!

thanks kruzseeker,i,m sure we will enjoy the trip.been looking at the palma buses and hope we can do the scenic run back to ship as long as weve time.i fancy that trip as you said it looks great.see what happens thurs.just hope weather shapes up out there as it hasnt been too good this week with heavy rain etc.just have to stay on ship and eat and drink if its bad.cheers ade.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

I would love to hear how everyone found the cruise. I am pleased to say that we had a FANTASTIC time. Day 2 - at sea started out being quite a worry. I woke up and felt some movement and jumped into panic mode. I thought that things would only get worse from that point. I nipped things in the bud and took a tablet and was fine after that point. I know there were plenty who did not cope well on the day. I as fine after that point.

It was our first cruise, and as far as my husband was concerned, it could have been the last one. If we had to do over I think we would have cut back the number of excursions. My hubby was working on the basis that if we never cruised again, at least we would have had a good go this time.

The whole experience was beyond our expectations. We really hated the holiday to end. We were so impressed that we have put a deposit down for a 2 week cruise next Sept. on the Spirit.

Hello Everyone.

I would love to hear how everyone found the cruise. I am pleased to say that we had a FANTASTIC time. Day 2 - at sea started out being quite a worry. I woke up and felt some movement and jumped into panic mode. I thought that things would only get worse from that point. I nipped things in the bud and took a tablet and was fine after that point. I know there were plenty who did not cope well on the day. I as fine after that point.

It was our first cruise, and as far as my husband was concerned, it could have been the last one. If we had to do over I think we would have cut back the number of excursions. My hubby was working on the basis that if we never cruised again, at least we would have had a good go this time.

The whole experience was beyond our expectations. We really hated the holiday to end. We were so impressed that we have put a deposit down for a 2 week cruise next Sept. on the Spirit.

So pleased you enjoyed it Tina - and that your husband has been converted! You will LOVE the two week itinerary on Spirit next year - we did it this year on Celebration and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Fantastic destinations - both weeks! We booked again for next year (May) on Spirit so you can tell we were impressed!

hi tina, we had a brilliant time too.as you say the day at sea was a bit choppy but didnt bother us at all.i,m lucky i am a good traveller and like it a bit rough at sea its great.what a good crew on the destiny.all smiles and cant do enough for you.never once did i go to the bar.waiters were brilliant.i met barniebiddie and hubby.we were on same excursion in corsica.we probably met you somewhere too but not sure.i,m glad you both enjoyed it as we did the food was good service good the ship i thought was spotless and our cabin ok for what we needed.cant understand some of these people who were moaning about thomsons ships i thought it was excellent.the rome trip was really good but just about killed us off with the walking and i was dissapointed we didnt go inside the collosium as the itinery said a walking tour of it but should have told us it was only the outside.i really wanted to do that inside.still was a good day.cant wait for next oct [2010] now for red sea voyage.cheers ade.

Nice one Crocsaway. I know that you will enjoy your self. Transfer from the airport does not take long so depending on what time your flight gets in, you may be able to explore Palma a bit. There is a bus stop at the Port entrance. Both the city and a double decker sight seeing bus stop there.

We took the the sight seeing bus, what a waste. The ear phones were of the standard cheap plastic variety. The problem was finding an outlet that worked. People kept moving from seat to seat to try to find somewhere they could listen to the commentary.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi to all who sailed on the Destiny on 24th Sept. Just returned today from our cruise and stay both weeks brilliant! Cruise was absolutely brill from start to finish (my balance was a bit odd and was light headed on day at sea especially during lifeboat drill but this soon passed) By the way Ade you didn't meet me on Corsica trip cos we didn't go on one there!!!!!!! Quality and standard of food was excellent, used Lido in day and Seven Seas at night. Entertainment in Can Can also brill. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we were looked after very well. I agree with other cruisers on web sites that the cabins are in need of an upgrade but as everyone says you spend so little time in them it's no big deal. We left the ship at 11am on the 1st Oct and transferred to Alcudia for another great week, very relaxing. Would certainly do a cruise and stay again loved everry minute of it. Looking into booking on the Thomson Dream.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Just wondered what you all ended up doing at the stop in Palamos. Trying to decide for next year & can't seem to find much information.

Hi Jo,

We're on her in Sept. next year. Doing a 2week B2B with Moorish Delights cruise.

Have you looked on the Thomson Ports of call page on the net? Nothing really exciting from there and we've done Barcelona twice before.

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewPortDetails.do?portCode=002628

Berwyn

Hi Jo

We were in Palamos on 30th September, we didn't do any thomson excusions. The port authority provided a courtesy bus into the town but it could easily be done on foot, in fact we walked back to the ship. A nice town with cafes, restaurants and some nice shops as well as the usual touristy ones! It has a lovely beach which was almost deserted the day we were there. Hope this helps!

Archived