For those of you who have read Cruise Confidential

Jeafl

I honestly don't think we have every requested anything unreasonable, an extra pillow once, open up the divider between balconies.. that kind of thing..

As for dinner.. we were always on time.. My fiance ordered 3 shrimp cocktail the first nite and for the remainder of the week he never asked again,our server just brought them. I did not care for the rabbit entre one nite and although I did not complain, he noticed and immediately asked if he could bring me something elese. and of course we tipped at the end of the week... above and beyond the auto tip.. This is our vacation..we are not rude or ask for anything unusual but I don't think I would alter my requst to accomodate the cruiseline employees... I have never felt that the were unwilling or unhappy.....

Just ordered the book and received it last week. Haven't finished it. Read the first 70 pages and stopped. I'm taking it on the pool deck when we sail Nov.1st. I'll read and observe at the same time.

We won't be any different on this cruise as we're not unreasonable people at all. We are very appreciative of the staff and always let them know it.

I've occasionally ordered 2 entrees or two desserts. Am I wrong for that?

It seemd OK to me. They have two items I want, and I want to try both. It's not like I can try the other item the next night because the menu changes nightly.

Have not read the book, but I definitely would not ask much of the room steward or dining staff.

I expect them to do their jobs correctly - if the trash were not emptied, for instance, or if my order was not delivered correctly, I would likely complain.

However, if my request falls outside of what one would normally expect of a person, I don't make it to them. I would go to the purser.

Brian David Bruns-you got to give us more. We need to know about the art dealer side of the job!!!!!!

I am not unreasonable. I will order two emtres, but skip dessert and a appetizer--lobster night. Occasionally I'll order two appetizers, but will skip dessert.

I have never asked for anything special or out of the ordinary. Before even reading the book, I new how overworked they were by speaking to room stewards and seeing the same dining staff at all hours. I am pretty easy to please.

I just finished the book, and it only took me a couple of days to read it. Brian - I commend you for sticking with your contract. I look forward to your book about being an art dealer as one of the things I like to do is attend the Art Auctions.

I thought the book was interesting, and I probably will think twice about how much the wait staff do to make my cruise special. I am cruising in a few weeks and I know that I will probably notice things in the MDR that before did not catch my attention.

As do I.

I was hoping you would chime in, I was going to shoot you a message.

I certainly do look at alot of thing differently since reading this book. It has given me a greater perspective and respect for the crews I have already admired for making our vacations so wonderful.

Wow! I feel guilty about how many times I have carried a glass from the dining room back to my room and left it there! I didn't know how they had to count their china and cutlery and glasses, napkins, etc. So I made sure not to carry anything back to my cabin after reading this book.

Elena

i just finished reading the book and would like to read more about his further experiences. Did he and Bianca ultimately get together in the end? i did agree and disagree with him in a few areas. i have a friend that worked on a cruise ship before and she said its best to let your servers know in advance when you will be ordering more than one appetizer this way they will always be prepared. If you tip them in advance they will work harder to please you. But she said dont be a demeaning and demanding customer you will get scraps of other guests food whenever you request more among other things. Overall i thought the book was fair it does give me a different outlook on the crew members and i will always wonder whats going on along I-95 at the crew bar. lol

I read the book and enjoyed it. I found the beginning more interesting then the end. The Author, took the story more to his personal side,(which is fine, it is his story) but I enjoyed the logistics and learning how other cultures view us. I have even used his quote of "what do you call someone who only speaks one language.....an american" .

I dont think I ask much. Never ask room stewart for anything. I am always on time for dinner. I do usually order two appetizers. (the shrimp and something else). Rarely do I order two dinners. But I would think the big problem comes from people trying to make a special dish, like the fish but the vegies from the meet dish. ( i have seen waiters just bring the two main dishes and make the change at the their service station.) I will admit that I enjoy dessert and often order two, but they are so small.:D

On my last cruise which was on Princess, The waiter kind of gave me dirty looks when I ordered two appetizers or two desserts. He did take away from some of my pleasure at the meal. However, the headwaiter was always around our table and he was great. He actually brought us extra stuff without asking.

well just my thoughts

The author is Brian David Bruns. I thought it was a good read and made me wonder how the staff can function after working 15 hours a day and doing all the drinking described in the book.

And don't forget all the sex!! :eek: ;)

Will you think twice before asking for anything "special" or out of the ordinary from the crew members? I guess most of us never gave much thought to how much extra work we could be unknowingly causing the crew members. I always knew they put in long hours, but the fact that most of them work up to 15 hours a day is just crazy! I think most people think that being 15-30 minutes late for dinner is not a big deal, but if they knew what a hassle it is for the servers, maybe they might make a more concerted effort to be there on time. I personally will think twice before I ask for anything out of the ordinary again.

I thought it was a fascinating book, and I believe it gave a fair and balanced view of life on a cruise ship. I had half-expected it to be one long bash of Carnival, but I think the author did a great job of presenting things from both sides. I also found the view of Americans and their behavior from the workers' perspectives to be quite interesting, and dead on in a lot of cases!

All in all, I really enjoyed the book. :)

I think my favorite part was the "Roundells" in the dining room:D The night we had jumbo shrimp I had to laugh;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this book this evening. I can't remember the last time I picked up and book and hated having to put it down. My wife use to work for Carnival on the Pride so it was that much more interesting. I actually have a greater appreciation for how hard she worked on the boat.

I enjoyed the book from beginning to end.

I have seen this book mentioned a few times on the board. I just ordered it. DH and I have spent a number of hours talking to crew members over the years on our cruises. I know that they put in tremendous amount of hours and "enjoy" their down time.

I read the book just before our cruise in August, it really does give you a deeper appreciation for the amount of work that the staff does. Our dining team was absolutely fabulous ( I wish I could remember the assistants name!!) the head waiter's name was Wayan.

I have passed the book on to some friends of ours that will be cruising with us, and my sister and brother ( both have been on many cruises) have thier names down to get it next lol I dont think I would be interested in one about the art dealer. But I would love to know what happened with Bianca....

Back in the good old days, they used to shut the dining room doors 15 minutes after the assigned time began. I sure wish they would do it again. I will never understand why people feel they are so special that they can show up 30 minutes or more late.

I enjoyed the book and I have enjoyed discussing the things I know with my dining room staff. They seem appreciative of my understanding of what they go through.

On my Nov 2008 Fascination cruise. We had a very Needy table in front of us. Came in late most nights and expected immediate service. I felt sorry for the servers. Our deserts were served late many nights because of this, but I did not blame the servers infact we left them a tip in the end.

Archived