ROLL CALL-March 4th, 2010, Silver Whisper, Voyage 4006, Hong Kong to Singapore

ScottToronto

Good morning! :)

Anyone else booked on Voyage 4006, Hong Kong to Singapore (11 days) on the Silver Whisper? This will be my first cruise in Asia and really looking forward to it.

We are doing a few days pre-cruise in the Philippines, a few days in Manila and a few days in Davao at the Pearl Farm Resort. Will fly back to Hong Kong to join the ship.

Need suggestions where to stay in Hong Kong and Singapore.

In Hong Kong, a few places have been suggested.

-Peninsula

-Four Seasons

-Island Shangri-la

Good location? service? luxury?

In Singapore

-Mandarin Oriental

-Ritz Carlton

-Four Seasons

I've heard that it's best to stay in Singapore near Orchard/Scott Rds.

Any suggestions where to stay in Manila, it's between Manila Peninsula or Makati Shangri-la.

I appreciate my fellow CC's recommendations. Look forward to meeting you onboard in March. ;)

Many thanks,

ScottToronto

countdown.pl?name=ScottToronto&date=3-4-2010&image=Beach-8&text=Hong Kong-Singapore, Voyage 4006.&ship=Silver Whisper

Hi Scott,

Not sure if you saw this when I posted it originally since your question was "off thread" and it may have been lost ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't speak to hotels in Hong Kong because I have never been there but we were more than pleased with the location, rooms, service food - everything really - at the Four Seasons Singapore when we stayed there for 4 days in December 2006. (I assume it would still be just as good now) Easy walk to everything or a bus across the street to other sights. The concierge staff were very helpful and gracious, as was the restaurant staff and general manager.

Hi Chicagogal (Patty),

Thanks for your reply. Lots of decisions to make in the next couple of months. I also love Four Seasons. My favourite.....Four Seasons Istanbul near the Blue Mosque! Amazing!

Regards,

ScottToronto

countdown.pl?name=ScottToronto&date=3-4-2010&image=Beach-8&text=Hong Kong-Singapore, Voyage 4006.&ship=Silver Whisper

Yes it is!!!

Scott, we are not on your cruise but wanted to provide some comments.

The Hong Kong Peninsula is quite nice so I would easily recommend that. It is located about a 10 minute walk from the Cruise Ship Terminal but you'll want transporation to get over there.

In Singapore, I would not recommend the Ritz Carlton. Personally I like Ritz Carlton Propoerties because of the Club Floors but when we were in Singapore we went over there and it is located in a remote area. So, I would pass on it. There are many others to choose from in better areas including the Four Season, Mandarin, and also Raffles.

I am not sure how long you will have in Singapore but it is a very nice city to visit. If you have time consider the zoo in the evening, and I would highly recommend visiting the National Orchid Gardens. The orchids that we saw were breathtaking. There are some beautiful buildings to view all around the downtown area, Chinatown, Little India, etc.

Keith

Hi Chicagogal (Patty),

Thanks for your reply. Lots of decisions to make in the next couple of months. I also love Four Seasons. My favourite.....Four Seasons Istanbul near the Blue Mosque! Amazing!

Regards,

ScottToronto

I haven't stayed at that one but I certainly did love Istanbul when we were there and I want to go back!

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comments. I've had 3 persons recommend the Four Seasons Singapore. Is it located near the Orchard Rd? Where did you stay? We are only staying for 2 nights.

Thanks again,

ScottToronto.

It is right around the corner from Orchard Road. Very convenient! http://www.fourseasons.com/singapore/directions_and_map.html

Scott, we were in Singaport as part of a World Cruise and one voyage ended there while a new voyage began there so we were fortunate to have a few days there. After doing a good deal of touring we spent a few hours visiting various hotels as we decided we wanted to go back there either on a pre or post cruise or just on a land vacation.

We happen to prefer Ritz Carltons so we checked out their property first and as I mentioned didn't care for the location.

The Four Seasons is located in a much more centrally located area. It is on Orchard Boulevard which is literally a three minute walk to Orchard Road. You can walk to many places from there which is nice.

We were very impressed with Singapore. Very clean and very safe. We even discovered that their subway system is great too and you can get to many places around the city with the subway.

Keith

We really also like Singapore. It is so clean. We were there for 5 nights when we stayed there. We loved the boat quay. I know there are some trendier places now. We also did Sentosa and enjoyed that. We did Little India, I did the zoo and the Japanese and Chinese gardens. We went everywhere on the mtr, and everything is easy to get to, lots of English. Make sure you go out and see things. Don't be afraid of the rail or walking if you are up to it. This is one place where a cheezy guidebook comes in handy IMO.

Hong Kong is easy to get around, too. We have been twice now. Once for 5 nights and then on our April/May cruise on Whisper. We have stayed once on the Island side in Causeway Bay and once on the Kowloon side. I am glad we alternated that way. Figure out what you want to do and stay that way accordingly. Everything is safe here to do on your own, and there is lots of transportation everywhere.

Are you looking to try local foods anywhere?

Wripro!

You gave me some excellent recommendations and directions in Capri for our last voyage on the Silver Wind.

Would love to have your advice and recommendations for hotels in Hong Kong and Singapore for our upcoming Whisper voyage.

In Hong Kong, it looks like we've staying at the Peninsula and the Four Seasons.

In Singapore, its between the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton Milenia.

Thanks to everyone for your kind advise.

Much appreciated.

ScottToronto

I'll jump in with a couple of different recommendations for HK and Singapore. We really enjoyed both the Harbour Plaza HK in Hung Hom( get a harborview room; very large and well appointed for HK ) and Raffles in Singapore( suites are very large and the service is fantastic ).

Archived