Is this really an upgrade?

ccheng64

I booked Star princess, Category K(room not assigned yet) on Plaza deck from a travel agent website. I have heard a lot of good things about Plaza deck and I was happy with it.

However, I got an email from the travel agent yesterday. They notified me that Princess has upgraded me to B624 / Category I (Baja deck).

How can this be an upgrade? :( I think Plaza deck is much better than Baja deck in any way. Did I miss something or is this really an upgrade?

Thank you.

I booked Star princess, Category K(room not assigned yet) on Plaza deck from a travel agent website. I have heard a lot of good things about Plaza deck and I was happy with it.

However, I got an email from the travel agent yesterday. They notified me that Princess has upgraded me to B624 / Category I (Baja deck).

How can this be an upgrade? :( I think Plaza deck is much better than Baja deck in any way. Did I miss something or is this really an upgrade?

Thank you.

Upgrade because its on a higher deck.

If you like the cabin you book then mark it no upgrade.

Unfortunatley this is the chance you take.

Any stateroom change to a higher category, even within the type of stateroom you booked (inside to inside, outside to outside etc) is considered an upgrade in the cruise lines eyes. Location or even price has nothing to do with it. Since category "I" is higher than "K" then they would consider this an upgrade.

Although you read about some that receive those fantastic upgrades up to a higher type of stateroom (inside to outside, outside to balcony), upgrades within the category you actually booked happen more often than the others. Enjoy!

Looking at deck plans, I think this cabin is directly under the Horizon Food Court kitchen. I think this, and my DH agrees, because you're right under a large blank space on the deck plan on Aloha, and that large white space is directly below the Horizon Court. If you can possibly avoid it, you do not want to be below the buffet kitchen! I put us there once on a different Princess ship, and I can tell you that the noise we heard was pretty incredible. I don't know if you can do anything about this, but I'd sure try. Good luck on this!

Upgrade because its on a higher deck.

If you like the cabin you book then mark it no upgrade.

Unfortunatley this is the chance you take.

When booking a GTY, cannot mark it no upgrade.

When a category is only available as GTY (as Plaza deck often is), you have no choice but to accept the "upgrade" Princess gives you.

If you do not like the location of the assigned cabin, Princess will assign you (upon request from your travel agent) to a different cabin in the same category you were assigned if one is available.

When booking a GTY, cannot mark it no upgrade.

When a category is only available as GTY (as Plaza deck often is), you have no choice but to accept the "upgrade" Princess gives you.

If you do not like the location of the assigned cabin, Princess will assign you (upon request from your travel agent) to a different cabin in the same category you were assigned if one is available.

Actually, that's not necessarily true. You can indeed book a GTY, in a particular category, and request that the agent select "decline auto upgrade" in the reservation. If this is done, you'll almost certainly remain in the category you selected. I do this all the time to snag Emerald deck mini-suites (category AD) because I can't stand the Dolphin deck balconies.

Looking at deck plans, I think this cabin is directly under the Horizon Food Court kitchen. I think this, and my DH agrees, because you're right under a large blank space on the deck plan on Aloha, and that large white space is directly below the Horizon Court. If you can possibly avoid it, you do not want to be below the buffet kitchen! I put us there once on a different Princess ship, and I can tell you that the noise we heard was pretty incredible. I don't know if you can do anything about this, but I'd sure try. Good luck on this!

Thank you for reminding me! I looked at Aloha deck and I didn't know what that blank area above my cabin was. I thought it was an atrium or something like staff office area, but your analysis totally makes sense! I have to do more research and see if I need to get a different cabin. :(

Actually, that's not necessarily true. You can indeed book a GTY, in a particular category, and request that the agent select "decline auto upgrade" in the reservation. If this is done, you'll almost certainly remain in the category you selected. I do this all the time to snag Emerald deck mini-suites (category AD) because I can't stand the Dolphin deck balconies.

Great, now you have me worried about my another cabin. :p

I have another booking for Golden Category AD (Emerald deck). Again, Princess "upgraded" me to Dolphin Category AB. I just did some research and found that AB balcony has no privacy at all. The upgrading is really annoying.

Archived