HELP! I have lost my Uncle and Aunt!

foft

thanks I do hope they are just lost on the ship and havin a great time,

Val

Well, unfortunately, if I remember correctly (I read the OP so long ago!), she was in contact with family who boarded the ship and those family members were told by a staff member onboard that the aunt and uncle hadn't boarded...that's the problem!

I hate to say this but Miami is not exactly the ideal place to get lost if you know what I mean!!

I know but perhaps they went to a hotel and called and told their relatives where they are

then the opp can mapquest and get to that address

or hospital or ... Im sure they are eiuther all right or in hospital and one tending to the other and just today called opp whos there now too

with older folks this can happen, or with us middle age folks, since I went through chemo 4 years ago my bones has soften and I have to be ever careful on uneven surfaces as I have already broken my let ankle (fall 2008) first break ever

I m only 53

I am waiting for opp to let us know she helped her / his aunt and uncle get on to the ship

I suppose we could continue to entertain ourselves until we hear from the OP by creating GOOD scenarios as to what may have happened:

Aunt and Uncle were in the airport waiting for the taxi to pick them up when they ran into Oprah Winfrey who was looking for people to compare the luxuries of a personal yacht to the cruise ship experience. They didn't have time to call anyone as they were being whisked away in a limo to the private jet. They boarded the jet and flew to the French Riveria where they boarded a 100 foot yacht with full crew. They're now so busy being waited on and mingling with the world's rich and famous that they forgot to call the family. That's my story and I'm sticking to it until I hear otherwise. :D

I suppose we could continue to entertain ourselves until we hear from the OP by creating GOOD scenarios as to what may have happened:

Aunt and Uncle were in the airport waiting for the taxi to pick them up when they ran into Oprah Winfrey who was looking for people to compare the luxuries of a personal yacht to the cruise ship experience. They didn't have time to call anyone as they were being whisked away in a limo to the private jet. They boarded the jet and flew to the French Riveria where they boarded a 100 foot yacht with full crew. They're now so busy being waited on and mingling with the world's rich and famous that they forgot to call the family. That's my story and I'm sticking to it until I hear otherwise. :D

Now THAT'S good!!!;):D;):D

I think that if the aunt and uncle were still missing at this time, we would have heard about it on the news. I agree, that maybe the OP is dealing with what happened for the aunt and uncle to miss the ship.

I sure hope she/he comes back for a quick update, though....sooner rather than later!

I hate to say this but Miami is not exactly the ideal place to get lost if you know what I mean!!

Miami is a perfectly fine place Jon. Seeing as you are from Tennessee I can understand why Miami would seem "exotic" to someone like you and thus not a great place.

Miami is a perfectly fine place Jon. Seeing as you are from Tennessee I can understand why Miami would seem "exotic" to someone like you and thus not a great place.

I love Miami ... I told my husband that I wish we could relocate there .. You are so lucky!

Miami Beach is wonderful - Miami is not Miami Beach, however. Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the nation, lots of drug violence and lots of gang violence. To try and belittle someone's correct view that Miami is not a good place to get lost in (remember the smiley faces on the highways so tourists wouldn't turn off and get lost/hurt) is foolhardy. It is not a 'wonderful' place - one has to be very careful and know where you are going when venturing into Miami. I have lived in Miami Beach and NYC and can tell you I felt much, much safer in NYC than I ever did when I had to venture over the causeway into Miami...

Miami Beach is wonderful - Miami is not Miami Beach, however. Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the nation, lots of drug violence and lots of gang violence. To try and belittle someone's correct view that Miami is not a good place to get lost in (remember the smiley faces on the highways so tourists wouldn't turn off and get lost/hurt) is foolhardy. It is not a 'wonderful' place - one has to be very careful and know where you are going when venturing into Miami. I have lived in Miami Beach and NYC and can tell you I felt much, much safer in NYC than I ever did when I had to venture over the causeway into Miami...

This is a south Florida problem, you take one wrong turn and you go from 5 million dollar homes to crack houses....

OK I'm gonna join the other responder in saying I'm probably gonna hear it from others, but...

Now that most suggestions have been given...

Assuming nothing REALLY bad has happened to the aunt and uncle...and of course we all hope and pray nothing did...

But how the heck do you lose two people COMPLETELY in the United States? No one carries a cell phone? The aunt and uncle make no attempt to contact anyone? I can't get my brain wrapped around this.

Look at the stats

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/missingpersons.htm#missingmonthlytotals

over 800,000 people were reperted missing in 2007, over 37,000 were of a similar catagory as this.

Most were later found.

I do believe that the OP was telling it like it was.

It is worrisome we have not heard any more news.

You just do not post a thread like this and leave everyone hanging. That raises my level of concern.

Alot of scenarios can cross your mind.

If OP was asking about infant car seats in other postings chances are their aunt and uncle would not be really up there in years with senility issues.

I was wondering about an illness but you think someone would have notified OP.

If they missed the cruise they may have been arranging for alternative plans to meet up with the ship and perhaps did not know how to contact the others traveling with them.

If they are fine and OP did not come back to inform us that would be pretty insensitive.

Hopefully will hear some news soon.

Laura

exotic?:rolleyes: someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Oh, please, I lived in Miami for all my life (until 2 years ago). It is just as safe and dangerous as any other major city. Yes the greater metropolitan area of Miami has some less desirable places, but so does NYC. I am sure you can drop me in the parts of Miami you felt unsafe in and I would be find, but drop me in some parts of NYC you think are perfectly fine and I would be freaking out!

Most of it has to do with what you are used to, you feel comfortable with what you know and grow acustomed to. The whole smiley face (they are actually Suns) is marketing. It came from a couple of murders that happened to tourists in the 90's, it wasn't a bunch it was one or two, except the media iver reacted and made it seem like it was open season on tourists and every tourist was being killed.

I'm not saying Miami doesn't have its nasty areas, but so does every major city.

According to his other posts, the OP is a pharmacist from Ontario, married, with enough concern to have asked about car seats for an infant, amongst other things. His other posts seem helpful, not wacky.

Therefore, it seems unlikely to me that his post in this thread is a hoax.

Still, I'd love to hear what happened to his relatives!

Although it seems unlikely that this is a hoax, too much time has passed for someone not to have heard from them. Does this couple not have children or siblings that would also be looking for them?

Oh, please, I lived in Miami for all my life (until 2 years ago). It is just as safe and dangerous as any other major city. Yes the greater metropolitan area of Miami has some less desirable places, but so does NYC. I am sure you can drop me in the parts of Miami you felt unsafe in and I would be find, but drop me in some parts of NYC you think are perfectly fine and I would be freaking out!

Most of it has to do with what you are used to, you feel comfortable with what you know and grow acustomed to. The whole smiley face (they are actually Suns) is marketing. It came from a couple of murders that happened to tourists in the 90's, it wasn't a bunch it was one or two, except the media iver reacted and made it seem like it was open season on tourists and every tourist was being killed.

I'm not saying Miami doesn't have its nasty areas, but so does every major city.

It has nothing to do with what you are used to. I'm sure you would be perfectly fine at 64th st in Liberty City, right? Or hanging out in Overtown past sun down? Brownsville? Parts of Opa Locka or Carol City? :rolleyes: Come on! I'm not saying you won't find bad areas in every (well, most large) city - but to put down another poster (as one post did acting like someone in Tennessee would find Miami 'exotic':rolleyes:) and acting like Miami is 'great' is ridiculous.

It also shocks me but gives me perhaps an understanding that you just got used to this type of atmposhere (not a put down - dont' know how else to word that) enough to say that having tourists murdered for accidentaly going into the wrong area resulted in 'marketing' of the smiling faces to keep them away from the dangerous areas. That's not marketing - that's a weak solution to stop tourism from bailing due to murder! And I can recall off the top of my head - I'm sure I can research more to find it - from when I was there an elderly man that drove down to Miami for his son's bday and went off the right road and asked for directions - shot and killed - car stolen.

Listen, in 2007 the national average crime rate was 320.9. Miami was 682.3. New York City (I agree there are dangerous areas as well) was 253.3. I'm just saying those are researchable statistics, broken down by crimes.

I don't want to take the focus off of the issue of the OP's Aunt and Uncle anymore, but I did take issue with the assertation that Miami is pretty much safe. It's too easy there to go from a good area into a bad accidentaly and I think people need to be reminded to be safe wherever they are. :)

Although it seems unlikely that this is a hoax, too much time has passed for someone not to have heard from them. Does this couple not have children or siblings that would also be looking for them?

Since we don't know this person, it's very easy to say that from their previous posts they seem normal.

People do have falling outs with their families, etc. Unfortunately, the person you are today may not be the person you were yesterday or last year.

Hopefully, this 'person' will come back and say all is well.

Remember the saying, Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

It could be a matter of the family knows the OP has cruised before and called for advice. The OP then says - "hey, I'm a member of a message board that sometimes has good advice or info, let me check there for suggestions."

Problem is, the OP appears to be an infrequent visitor to the board and the problem with Aunt and Uncle is completely resolved but it never occurred to the OP to report back to all the eager minds who want to know.

It has nothing to do with what you are used to. I'm sure you would be perfectly fine at 64th st in Liberty City, right? Or hanging out in Overtown past sun down? Brownsville? Parts of Opa Locka or Carol City? :rolleyes: Come on! I'm not saying you won't find bad areas in every (well, most large) city - but to put down another poster (as one post did acting like someone in Tennessee would find Miami 'exotic':rolleyes:) and acting like Miami is 'great' is ridiculous.

It also shocks me but gives me perhaps an understanding that you just got used to this type of atmposhere (not a put down - dont' know how else to word that) enough to say that having tourists murdered for accidentaly going into the wrong area resulted in 'marketing' of the smiling faces to keep them away from the dangerous areas. That's not marketing - that's a weak solution to stop tourism from bailing due to murder! And I can recall off the top of my head - I'm sure I can research more to find it - from when I was there an elderly man that drove down to Miami for his son's bday and went off the right road and asked for directions - shot and killed - car stolen.

Listen, in 2007 the national average crime rate was 320.9. Miami was 682.3. New York City (I agree there are dangerous areas as well) was 253.3. I'm just saying those are researchable statistics, broken down by crimes.

I don't want to take the focus off of the issue of the OP's Aunt and Uncle anymore, but I did take issue with the assertation that Miami is pretty much safe. It's too easy there to go from a good area into a bad accidentaly and I think people need to be reminded to be safe wherever they are. :)

Actually I would frequent Churchill's in that area and was never attacked or anything. Yeah it looks scary and you have to keep an eye out, but heck I do that in any city I go to, even in 'nice' places.

Actually most of the tourist that were killed during that time wasn't because they were in the wrong place, they were followed, because they were in a rental. Back then if you rented a car it did not have regular plates like a resident's did, it basically let everyone know it was a rental (ie. probably a tourist and easy target). They changed that afterwards and now a rental car has the same plates as a regualr vehicle.

Statistics can be missleading. The actual city of Miami limits is small and unfortuantely has most of the poor crime riden areas in it and most of the poplulation lives in the suburbs outside the city limits in other cities or unicorporated Miami-Dade county. I'm not sure what the actual City of New York city limits are and what areas it covers.

I don't think the Miami area is disneyworld, but I do take issue with people making it seem like it is a war zone. It is no more dangerous than any large Metropolitan area in the US.

Actually I would frequent Churchill's in that area and was never attacked or anything. Yeah it looks scary and you have to keep an eye out, but heck I do that in any city I go to, even in 'nice' places.

Actually most of the tourist that were killed during that time wasn't because they were in the wrong place, they were followed, because they were in a rental. Back then if you rented a car it did not have regular plates like a resident's did, it basically let everyone know it was a rental (ie. probably a tourist and easy target). They changed that afterwards and now a rental car has the same plates as a regualr vehicle.

Statistics can be missleading. The actual city of Miami limits is small and unfortuantely has most of the poor crime riden areas in it and most of the poplulation lives in the suburbs outside the city limits in other cities or unicorporated Miami-Dade county. I'm not sure what the actual City of New York city limits are and what areas it covers.

I don't think the Miami area is disneyworld, but I do take issue with people making it seem like it is a war zone. It is no more dangerous than any large Metropolitan area in the US.

I think we should just agree to disagree! :D The statistics considers the actual city of Miami, which is small. They consider NYC to be the five boroughs, which is large. You still get accurate statistics when you do the math. I can understand not wanting to have your city put in a bad light. I get that. However, it is more dangerous than many metropolitan cities in the U.S.. That isn't me being rude, or mean - it's just a cold hard fact. It has made the top three of the most dangerous cities in America - with some distinctions to area as well (north miami, miami gardens...). There are cool places and nice areas in Miami - I'm just saying that you need to be on your toes there more than other places. Remember when they built the new performing arts center? People had to park and walk and they had a spate of muggings and a couple of murders....

Archived