Crown Princess Norway Iceland Review

Hemi001

ssbeagle - I am very envious of your upcoming cruise, it looks like a great itinerary, I will have to do a TA sometime. Have a great cruise and say hello to the Crown for me.

This is our third TA and the itinerary is a bit different each time. I love them. We fly over to Europe and then have a sail back and easily adjust to the time change. When we get home we are well-rested and I love the sea days we get. I'll try to post a review when we get back.

This is our third TA and the itinerary is a bit different each time. I love them. We fly over to Europe and then have a sail back and easily adjust to the time change. When we get home we are well-rested and I love the sea days we get.

And the best part is that as the ship sails westward, hours are gained, not lost as time zones are crossed. (Except for the first port after sailing when an hour is lost.)

Bergen, Norway - After a wonderful day at sea the sail in to Bergen was exciting as we much anticipated our first port of call. The approach to the city involves sailing around a dog leg of land and you do not see the harbour until you make the last turn. The ship has to pass under a wonderful bridge with only a few meters of clearance, we watched it from our balcony but I bet the best view would have been from up high, maybe the jogging track.

According to the Patter the ship was supposed to dock in the Vagan but we docked way out in the commercial port. There was a free shuttle that deposited us in downtown Bergen pretty close to everything. We had decided to do the town on our own and so set out for the Floibanen funicular railway in the hopes of beating the rush of Princess Tours.

From where the shuttle dropped us it was a short 5 -10 minute walk to the funicular, there was only a short line and before long we were up ontop of Mt. Floyen. The view of the Town was spectacular. We had a good view of the Crown in the harbour and also of the Astor which was visiting as well.

The visitors center on Mt. Floyen was quite crowded already, possibly from the Astor but I think there were a considerable number of locals there as it seems it is a popular spot for a family outing. There are some very nice trails to enjoy here and we took full advantage of one. We passed a nice lake and a small waterfall before returning to the visitor center, watch out for the Trolls that have been carved into wooden poles on the tops of the hills.

There is a nice cafe on Mt. Floyen where we partook of a cool drink of Norwegian beer (Hansa) and took in the view of the town below, it was very relaxing. After this we made out way down the Funicular and over to the Fish Market which was very interesting to walk around.

We tried some of their Fish and Chips here, it was the most expensive plate of fish and chips I had ever had but we were well prepared for the expensive nature of anything bought in Norway. Sadly the food was not very good, the fare at the Wheelhouse Bar was much better. It did not appear that the fish was fresh from the market as all three of our pieces were identical and were probably commercially prepared and frozen. Not to worry, sitting in the Fishmarket in Bergen eating Fish and chips watching the world go by is not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

After our meal we walked around the town and up a very steep street to a nice looking church but oddly, for a Sunday. it was closed so we walked back down to the shuttle stop. It had started to rain so we headed back to the ship.

The Astor slipped away ahead of us into the rain and then we were gone from wonderful Bergen.

Bergen1.jpg

The wonderful bridge we passed under with Bergen just beyond.

Bergen2.jpg

The Floibanen as it makes it's way up Mt. Floyen.

093.jpg

The magnificent view from the top of Mt. Floyen.

BergenWAterfall.jpg

The waterfall we spotted on one of the walking trails at the top of Mt. Floyen.

bergen6.jpg

The Fish Market.

bergen3.jpg

One of the Bregen tour busses. They leave quite frequently from the Fish Market.

The Sail in to Olden was even more spectacular than Bergen. The weather was beautiful and the scenery was magnificent.

As we were docking, the Seabourn Pride gracefully appeared in the fjord and joined us in Olden.

We had booked a Princess excursion in Olden to the Kjenndalen Glacier and Lovatnet Lake. We were on the bus without too much fuss and off to the glacier. The drive was very enjoyable, there were several stopd for a few pictures on the way and we visited a small group of holiday cabins on the banks of the lake. They all had very picturesque sod roofs with all sorts of plant life growing on them.

We arrived at the car park for the glacier and set off on the trail. It is not especially demanding terrain but it's a fairly long walk and the last half is very rocky so the footing is uneven and unpredictable. Once we had gone as far as we could, you are not permitted to go right up to the glacier as bits do fall off from time to time, we had a good rest and snapped off our pics. It was a great sight.

After returning to the bus we made our way to the Lodge on the lake where they fed us wonderful Norweigan waffles with cream, jam and very passable coffee. It was well received after our hike up to the glacier.

After partaking of the food we boarded the boat for a very scenic ride on Lovatnet lake. The bus was waiting for us when we docked and we journeyed back to the ship. It was very close to leaving time so we were only able to check out the gift stores that are close to the dock before embarking and making our way to the Wheelhouse Bar for a sailaway beer.

All in all it was a great day. The excursion was well worth it and I only wish there had been more time to walk around Olden before setting sail.

Olden1.jpg

Olden approaches, the view is just marvelous.

Olden2.jpg

Almost there, just getting ready to tie off to the dock.

Olden3.jpg

Safely docked in Olden.

Olden6.jpg

Sod roofed cabin on Lake Lovatnet.

Olden5.jpg

The Kjenndalen Glacier.

Olden4.jpg

The boat ride on Lovatnet Lake

Hi Hemi001,

Bergen is nice we took a bus tour high into the mountains to a lake there was snow there all year, we had a massive buffet the fresh salmon was excellant.

I think the only thing we bought was post cards.

Excellant review, makes great reading.

Better than the info Princess sends out.

yours Shogun

Thanks Shogun, after the cruise we visited my brother up in Scotland. Driving through Glen Coe I could imagine myself back on my balcony on the Crown steaming up one of the Norwegian Fjords.

hightownCO - if you get the chance jump at it. The scenery is right up there with Alaska and South America/Antarctica.

Just when you feel that it can't get any better this happens. The sail in to these ports is magical. After getting up early, brewing the obligatory cup of tea and stepping out on the balcony we were treated to a wonderful sight. We were at the head of a three ship convoy headed to Hellesylt. We were being followed closely by AidaAura and the mighty Celebrity Equinox. Now, as an aside I will say that I am not very partial to the "cartoon ships" i.e. those ships that have wild pictures and graphics painted on their sides, but in this case the absolutely magical scenery cancelled out being chased up the Fjord by a giant pair of lips.

The Equinox peeled off up the Geiranger Fjord while we and the AidaAura continued on to Hellesylt. The stop at Hellesylt was brief, just long enough to drop a few tenders and ferry 500+ people off to their all day excursion, they would meet up with us later in Geiranger. We went off to breakfast and then just basked in the glory of the scenery in Hellesylt and the magnificent sail in to Geiranger, I will include a few photos of this but they will not do it justice.

Geiranger was our first and only tender port, getting off was a breeze, after picking up our tender ticket we were on the boat within 15 mins. Having decided to do Geiranger on our own we set off up the hill towards the beautiful, octagonal Geiranger Kyrkje. It is not a bad walk but it is uphill along the side of a buisy road so you have to watch carefully for traffic.

Geiranger itself is a small town with only a few hundred full time inhabitants, you can imagine how crowded it was with three large cruise ships in port at the same time.

The Church is well worth a visit and it gives a nice view of the Fjord with all the cruise ships parked there. If you continue on up the hill you can get good views of the Dynamite Waterfall that runs right through the town. We eventually came to the Fjord center where there is a nice cafe providing needed sustenance, after our long walk.

We found a nice little trail that headed off into the woods and we explored this for a while before heading back down to the town. After a little shopping at the stores close to the tender port we headed back to the ship. My biggest regret on this trip was not booking the Mt. Dalsnibba excursion. I had heard that most of the time the clouds are so low here that the view is bad from the top. We had a brilliant sunny day so the view must have been spectacular. Also, there is very little independant transportation when you get off the ship. So, if you want to do anything out of the immediate town area you should book up one of the ships excursions here.

For the sailaway we chose to have a little drink in skywalkers and it was a great choice, the views were just wonderful. As an added bonus for me, and a great end to a great day, we were travelling down the Great Fjord when the Equinox caught up with us and passed right by our balcony, I am sure that they were just as impressed with the sight of the Crown.

Geir1.jpg

The AidaAura aka "lips" and the Equinox following us into Hellesylt.

Geir2.jpg

The Seven Sisters Waterfall at the head of the Geirangerfjord.

Geir3.jpg

Looking down the Fjord into Geiranger. Notice the haze, nothing to do with the weather it was caused by the exhaust of the ships moored in the Fjord.

Geir4.jpg

The octagonal, wooden church in Geiranger.

Geir5.jpg

View of the Fjord from the Church.

Geir6.jpg

View from the Fjord Center.

Geir7.jpg

The beautiful Crown Princess moored in Geirangerfjord.

Geir9.jpg

Dynamite Falls as it makes its way to the town of Geiranger.

Geir8.jpg

Suitor Falls right opposite the Seven Sisters at the head of the Geirangerfjord.

Geir10.jpg

The wonderful sailaway view.

The Norwegian fjords are just beautiful. Our cruise next week goes to Stavanger and Bergen. We've been to Bergen before. When we did our fjords cruise we were on the old Royal Princess. We did the full day tour from Hellsylt to Geirganger and it was worth it. I got a chuckle out of your "lips" picture.

To the OP or anyone else that was on the Crown recently, what production shows were running? I'll be on the ship in a few weeks, and while I normally wouldn't assume the entertainment would be the same (due to the different itinerary), I just saw a new CB review where the same three shows were running that I saw on that ship last March in the Caribbean.

To the OP or anyone else that was on the Crown recently, what production shows were running? I'll be on the ship in a few weeks, and while I normally wouldn't assume the entertainment would be the same (due to the different itinerary), I just saw a new CB review where the same three shows were running that I saw on that ship last March in the Caribbean.

Depends on two things.

First, the cast in the production shows. They sign a contract and work together and do the same shows their entire contract.

Second, when Princess is ready to spend the money to change out the scenery and props and costumes to put onboard a different show (which you may have already seen on another Princess ship).

You'll probably recognize a few then. The two I recognized from past Princess cruises were Motor City and What a Swell Party.

The individual acts they had on board were excellent though, and quite often some of the best entertainment was to be found in the Piazza.

You'll probably recognize a few then. The two I recognized from past Princess cruises were Motor City and What a Swell Party.

The individual acts they had on board were excellent though, and quite often some of the best entertainment was to be found in the Piazza.

Hmm, What A Swell Party is the Cole Porter one, right? I saw that on the Emerald a year ago, but I guess it's been long enough I wouldn't mind seeing it again, lol. Motor City doesn't sound familiar, although I did miss the first show on the Emerald last time so maybe that's it.

CB was running Do You Wanna Dance, Caribbean Caliente, and Piano Man when I was on her in March, and I was surprised to hear all three were still running in New England as of last week (especially the Caribbean one, which I assumed was a Caribbean itinerary exclusive! ;)).

Will keep an eye out for the Piazza entertainment, thanks.

houch - you are in for a treat, that is a great cruise especially the Scottish ports.

Nice to hear that, thanks. I am a bit concerned about the cool rainy weather I hear is around there. However I don't melt so guess I will survive.

Alesund is our last port in Norway and it is a very quaint fishing village that was rebuilt after a fire in 1904. The houses were built back in an Art Nouveau style and are very distinctive.

The ship docks within walking distance of down town so no shuttles are needed. Having decided to do Alesund on our own we set off for the Dronning Sonjasplass where we were hoping to get a ticket on the Bytoget tourist train. Unfortunately they were all sold out, mostly to Princess so I would recommend booking ahead on the internet or doing this through Princess. The company did put on a special, abbreviated tour at the end of the day with a drop off right next to the Crown so we bought tickets for this.

With our primary goal shot down in flames we decided to walk around the town. It didn't take us long to find the park dedicated to Kaiser Wilhelm II and the start of the trail up to the Fjellstua at the top of which is a cafe and city overlook. We decided to go up. This is not for the faint of heart, there are over 400 steps to get to the top but once you get there the view is great.

After returning to the town we found a shopping center which had a McDonalds and we sat for a well deserved ice cream, it was a hot, sunny day and I was feeling each one of those 400 steps.

Our day ended with the abbreviated Bytoget train tour which deposited us right at the ship, just in time for the last call. Sailaway was on our balcony aided by some local brew that we found in the shopping center.

The City of Alesund did us proud for sailaway, just as we set off a fire tug pulled up and fired off it's hoses. Then a startingly loud recording of Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" was played as we left the harbour. With the fire boat following alongside and the music playing it was a memorable send off from Norway.

Ales01.jpg

The view from the Hellebroa just a few minutes walk from the ship.

ales03.jpg

View from the top of Fjellstua showing most of Alesund, it's not a big place.

ales04.jpg

A closer look at the beautiful Crown as seen from Fjellstua.

ales05.jpg

Some of the wonderful Art Nouveau style building of Alesund.

ales06.jpg

The Bytoget tourist train.

ales07.jpg

The Fire boat struts it's stuff as we pull out of Alesund.

Archived