Formal Nights?????????

delidan

Resort casual is welcomed in every restaurant and dining room every night as NCL has embraced resort casual. But NCL does have dress up or not nights, their term for optional formal nights. Around a quarter to a third of the passengers will dress up. You can dress up any night you wish as well....

Do they have formal nights on NCL???????????

No. "Resort casual" is the dress code, and you can find a description of this right there on the NCL website. Once or twice during the cruise (depending on its length) NCL will have what they call a "dress-up or not" night, and you can choose to go all-out...or remain "resort casual". Or if you don't want to dress up at all, you can eat at the buffet, or a couple of other venues.

Bottom line is...............no mandatory dress up night, no night where most everyone gets all dressed up. It's "freestyle"....meaning you have a wide range of choice on how you'd like to dress. Which I happen to love! :D

Does it depend on the ship for formal night? We sailed NCL for the first time in April and I can tell you that far less than 25% of the people dressed up on formal night, I doubt it was much more than 1%. I felt way over dressed in my suit with the waiter wearing a T-shirt and the other people around me in their polo's and shorts. This was on the Dawn. I didn't bother with the 2nd formal night, I went in shorts and a hawaiian shirt and didn't feel out of place at all then. Glad I didn't take the trouble to bring a tux with me that would have been a huge waste.

Does it depend on the ship for formal night? We sailed NCL for the first time in April and I can tell you that far less than 25% of the people dressed up on formal night, I doubt it was much more than 1%. I felt way over dressed in my suit with the waiter wearing a T-shirt and the other people around me in their polo's and shorts. This was on the Dawn. I didn't bother with the 2nd formal night, I went in shorts and a hawaiian shirt and didn't feel out of place at all then. Glad I didn't take the trouble to bring a tux with me that would have been a huge waste.

A tux is never required on the NCL ships. I think the summer Caribbean (and southern) run is much less dressy than the eastern seaboard runs later in the late summer/fall. When I was on the Jewel on october, there were people in pretty fancy dress on "dress up or not" nights, but I don't remember seeing anyone in a tux. I would estimate that around 25% of folks did dress up for dinner, but I more often saw folks dressing "fancy" for the specialty restaurants, than the main dining room.

Hubby always brought 2 suits when we cruised. We hadnt taken a cruise for a few years. When we were getting ready for our spring cruise this year....I had to tell him to leave the suits behind. He wanted to bring them as we like to look nice (not formal) for dinner. If it hadnt been for having to pay extra for luggage.....he would have brought the suits. We did enjoy being able to look nice going to dinner......it just isnt the same anymore. :( Things IMO are way too casual for some of the enviorments. I guess we are out numbered.

Hubby always brought 2 suits when we cruised. We hadnt taken a cruise for a few years. When we were getting ready for our spring cruise this year....I had to tell him to leave the suits behind. He wanted to bring them as we like to look nice (not formal) for dinner. If it hadnt been for having to pay extra for luggage.....he would have brought the suits. We did enjoy being able to look nice going to dinner......it just isnt the same anymore. :( Things IMO are way too casual for some of the enviorments. I guess we are out numbered.

You can dress as formally as you like on NCL. You also don't have to. It is entirely your choice. Next time, pay the baggage fee and take the suits along.

Now if you want me to be forced to dress semi formally or formally with you, then you are probably on the wrong line, IMO. There are many lines that have mandatory formal nights. NCL isn't one of them, and resort casual is formal enough for me. It is one reason that I like to sail with them.

You can dress as formally as you like on NCL. You also don't have to. It is entirely your choice. Next time, pay the baggage fee and take the suits along.

Now if you want me to be forced to dress semi formally or formally with you, then you are probably on the wrong line, IMO. There are many lines that have mandatory formal nights. NCL isn't one of them, and resort casual is formal enough for me. It is one reason that I like to sail with them.

That is a little sarcastic. I am just stating that having been on hiatus for 2 1/2 years from cruising...the cruiseline has become much more informal than it once was.

We enjoy looking nice for dinner in the dining rooms. If you noticed.....I did not say dressed formally as he does not wear a tux but a suit. And I do not wear a gown or dress.....but slacks/dressy capris and a fancy top. The only reason he did not bring his suits is because of having to pay for extra luggage......and then look over dressed among those who could care less.

That is a little sarcastic. I am just stating that having been on hiatus for 2 1/2 years from cruising...the cruiseline has become much more informal than it once was.

We enjoy looking nice for dinner in the dining rooms. If you noticed.....I did not say dressed formally as he does not wear a tux but a suit. And I do not wear a gown or dress.....but slacks/dressy capris and a fancy top. The only reason he did not bring his suits is because of having to pay for extra luggage......and then look over dressed among those who could care less.

And if you noticed, I said formally or semi formally. Niether is required or recommended on NCL but both are welcome, as is resort casual.

The vast majority that I have seen cruise NCL dress according to NCL's rules. I do realize that there are exceptions and the occasional group that couldn't care less what they are wearing. I personally don't let them bother me.

However, if dressing formally or semi formally is important to me, and I wish to enhance that experience by having everyone else dress the same, then I would choose another line. There are plenty of dressier ones out there.

So shorts and a hawaiian or polo shirt is ok in the main dining room?

would this just be on the Dawn or would it also apply to the Star Mexican Riviera as well?

Official Dress Code is

The Dress code shipboard:

Resort casual is appropriate in all venues, including specialty restaurants. Resort casual attire may include simple slacks and shirts, skirts and sundresses.

Formal nights are offered on each ship for sailings of 3 days or more. Although not required, if a guest chooses to dress up, formal attire consists of black tie or dark suits for men, evening gown or cocktail dress for women.

Bare feet, t-Shirts, cut-offs, tank tops and swim suits are not permitted in any dining venue for dinner other than the outdoor dining venues.

Here are some guidelines:

Jeans: Presentable jeans are permitted in most dining venues in the evening, except the “designated” venue. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition.

Shorts: Only Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks will be permitted in any dining venue for dinner. All other shorts will not be permitted in any dining venue for dinner with the exception of the Buffet and any outdoor dining venues.

Hawaiian and/or Tropical shirts are permitted in all dining venues for all meals.

Flip flops are not permitted in the "designated" venues.

Workout attire and track suits are only permitted in the buffet and any outdoor dining venues for dinner. Presentable track suits are permitted in all venues for Breakfast and Lunch.

Children under 12 can wear presentable jeans and shorts in all dining venues for all meals. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition. Presentable shorts are well groomed shorts that are either dressy or sporty shorts, but not cut off jeans shorts or swimming trunks.

I just called NCL to find out what is meant by "designated" venue I was told that it is only refferring to the MDR on formal night

We were on the Star in May. Shorts and jeans were worn by a number of people in the main dining room every night. We like to "clean up" and dress for dinner. We don't go too fancy - just pants and shirt for husband and pants or skirt with a nice top for me. We were disappointed that they didn't enforce the rules that were in the Dailies and posted on the wall outside the dining room.

We were on the Star in May. Shorts and jeans were worn by a number of people in the main dining room every night. We like to "clean up" and dress for dinner. We don't go too fancy - just pants and shirt for husband and pants or skirt with a nice top for me. We were disappointed that they didn't enforce the rules that were in the Dailies and posted on the wall outside the dining room.

Glad to hear that, while a nice shirt is no problem a couple of my group almost never wear long pants, and the "knee sox and jacket" just look silly in my opinion:rolleyes:

Sorry to say but your last sentence is very unpleasant and condescending to those who feel dressing formally--whether tuxedo or suit--is utterly unnecessary on a mass-market cruise line. People who choose to wear resort casual attire on NCL don't "care less," they are dressed perfectly appropriately for the dining room. It's unfortunate we too often encounter someone here who feels, for some strange reason, that not wearing a suit in a cruise ship dining room is somehow an indication of "caring less."

Do us all a favor and cruise another line. We don't need passengers on NCL who think wearing resort casual attire is "caring less." If wearing a suit and capris (a very strange idea of dressing up) gives you a charge...

Sorry to say but your last sentence is very unpleasant and condescending to those who feel dressing formally--whether tuxedo or suit--is utterly unnecessary on a mass-market cruise line. People who choose to wear resort casual attire on NCL don't "care less," they are dressed perfectly appropriately for the dining room. It's unfortunate we too often encounter someone here who feels, for some strange reason, that not wearing a suit in a cruise ship dining room is somehow an indication of "caring less."

Do us all a favor and cruise another line. We don't need passengers on NCL who think wearing resort casual attire is "caring less." If wearing a suit and capris (a very strange idea of dressing up) gives you a charge...

I guess from your comments that you have not been reading the threads this summer regarding what people have been wearing on the cruises. There have been numerous posts about flip flops, cut offs, t-shirts, jogging suits and the such in some of the dining rooms. I have and will sail other lines as I am not obligated to sail just NCL. What I will do is hope that some people will care alittle more about the dining atmosphere of others.....and keep the beachwear out of the dining rooms. Oh.....and there is such a thing as dressy capris......so...not very strange at all.

The waiters wear T-shirts for Dinner service???That's gotta be a first....

I don't remember for sure but I think they might have (this was way back in January and the beers were mighty tasty).

I do remember that the crew was relaxed, helpful, fun, and seemed to want the other passengers and me to have fun too. It worked and I had a blast.

I will take a fun relaxed cruise any day of the week or any week of the year.

• Administrators

My recollection is they did this the night of the "White Hot Nights" party -- trying to get folks to attend it. I could be wrong, because I honestly didn't pay that much attention to it, but that sounds right to me for some reason. :)

My recollection is they did this the night of the "White Hot Nights" party -- trying to get folks to attend it. I could be wrong, because I honestly didn't pay that much attention to it, but that sounds right to me for some reason. :)

Both "White Hot" and "Dress Up or Not" nights if I'm not mistaken. It is really bizarre to see people in formal clothing being served by a wait staff wearing tee shirts.

Yes, I believe on one night on our Jewel cruise that the waiters wore the t-shirts the night of the white hot party.

I agree it isn't the same anymore but if you have seen the documentary on I think it is one of the NBC news channels it is all about money. Most people don't like to dress anymore. Heck they don't even have modesty anymore so dress up is definately out. I for one feel that is one think that is taking the allure of the sea away. I am giving this freestyle a try but I will still dress up on "dress up or not" night.

I agree it isn't the same anymore but if you have seen the documentary on I think it is one of the NBC news channels it is all about money. Most people don't like to dress anymore. Heck they don't even have modesty anymore so dress up is definately out. I for one feel that is one think that is taking the allure of the sea away. I am giving this freestyle a try but I will still dress up on "dress up or not" night.

Are you trying to say that if someone doesn't care to wear a suit or tux on a vacation, its because they don't want to spend the money for a belt and prefer to let their *** hang out?

Archived