Flight time in San Juan

mprcruiser

We are on a cruise leaving Nov. 16 and returning to San Juan Nov. 27 (Friday after Thanksgiving). We booked our air on our own with a return flight to IAH at 10:25 a.m. After booking the air, I went in to complete the pre-boarding info for the cruise. When I entered the departure time for our flight a notice came up that said the time for departure was sooner than the recommended time. I have tried to change the flight to a later one but it would cost us $150/each to change it. Is there a possibility we can make the 10:25 flight? Thanks in advance.

Jimanne1

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll keep trying to change the flights (maybe get a sympathetic agent) and if not, we'll just have to take our chances.

MI-DI - have you joined the roll call for this cruise and registered for the Connections party?

Jimanne1

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll keep trying to change the flights (maybe get a sympathetic agent)

You will not get a "sympathetic agent". Agents are monitored for their actions in the computer system, and itinerary changes without payment are flagged. Unless there has been a schedule change, voluntary changes by the customer will incur fees, and if the agent ignores/waives that, they run the risk of disciplinary action by the airline. So ask yourself if they will want to risk their jobs to save you the fees.

As for only the "millie"....it's still dumping 2000 people into San Juan at once.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll keep trying to change the flights (maybe get a sympathetic agent) and if not, we'll just have to take our chances.

MI-DI - have you joined the roll call for this cruise and registered for the Connections party?

Jimanne1

The only way they won 't charge is if the airline changes your itinerary.... watch for schedule changes and if there is one, call the airline and tell them you need to book a later flight.

We cruise in and out of San Juan at least once a year and have for almost thirty years. We also generally fly in or out of SJU over the Thanksgiving weekend. Don't for one minute believe that the airport will not be crowded. It always is. You will actually have many land vacationers on those early flights.

I happen to agree that you will have difficulty making the flight but if I may offer some pointers...

Take a few minutes when you land IN SJU to go to the departure area and find your airline check in. You can do this while you are waiting for your luggage. It will save a minute or two but you will need every minute.

As much as I hate self disembarkation you do not have a choice. There will be elevators on the ramp after you leave the ship that will make toting your luggage easier than the escalator. Have someone scope the location out when you dock so you know where the elevator is. You can also find it when you board. But be aware that it may be held for wheelchairs and young children etc.

Have all of your docs in order and make sure that you do not go over your duty allowance. Make sure also that you do not try to hide any overages, Cuban cigars or contraband. The Customs people are well trained in SJU. It took us over 30 minutes with Customs in November. We knew we would have duty to pay and did so without issue.

Print your boarding passes out the night before, even if you must pay the internet fee.

Be prepared to leave the ship as soon as the authorities have given clearance. The purser's office will inform you where to go in order to disembark.

There will be plenty of cabs in front of the terminal but you will have to get into line unless you prearrange a taxi.

DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SHIP TAGS. Cruise passengers can forgo the US Fruit and Veggie inspection if they have cruise tags on all their luggage. This will save additional time at the airport check in.

The TSA line will be your main holdup. I do not know which airline you are using but for most of the airlines there is one door into the inspection area and the line moves slowly. I have never seen them pass through passengers with close flights and cutting in line there would be the last thing I would do.

I am sorry you did not have some good advice before you booked your flights. There is a very good reason why frequent Caribbean cruisers never book an early flight.

I know things are out of order in my recommendations but I hope I have been able to help.

I appreciate everyone's advice. We will definitely take it.

alcpa1 - we are flying Continental. From what I read about the airport it is a long walk to the Continental ticket counters. We will have to check our bags so that will be another step. We will have had a great vacation so, if we don't get home that day, that's the way it is.

FlyerTalker - I would never ask anyone to risk losing a job just because I didn't do enough research. I take full responsibility for my actions.

Thank you all for the advice.

Mi-Di - maybe we'll meet at the Conncections get together.

Jimanne1

Jimanne1, it sounds from your last post that you are going to stay with the flights, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying. If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to contact the airline to find out what will happen if you miss the flight (eg., what is the penalty if you miss the flight and have to rebook another flight. And if you have to rebook another flight will it be at whatever the current cruise fare is). The reason I ask is that all of this could add up to a lot of money. So, it may turn out that spending $300.00 now will cost you a lot less in the long run.

San Juan can be very chaotic and I have seen long traffic jams getting out of the pier and through the city on the way to the airport. I truly believe your chance of making the flight is very low.

Anyway, it sounded like you might take the risk as you said that if you missed the flight you would just be prepared to wait for a flight the next day. I just think it would be a good idea to understand the financial implication if that were to happen just so you can make an informed decision.

Keith

I checked and it seems that for $50 I can change the flight as long as it is within 24 hours of the flight time. I haven't called to find out what the charge is if we miss the flight but will do so.

From the CO website on Same Day Changes:

If I miss my flight, am I eligible to use this policy?

No, our same-day change fee only applies to changes made before the original scheduled departure of your flight. However, if you miss your flight, you will be permitted to stand by for any alternative flight up to two hours after your original flight for no charge, provided there is one. Otherwise, you will be subject to the full change penalties that apply to your ticket.

Just reporting an experience of a fellow cruiser last Thanksgiving time. They walked off with their own luggage - were some of the first off the ship. Took a taxi and were at the airport for their 9.30am flight with time to spare.

The only way it might work for you is to be a walk off and handle all your own luggage.

But you need a contingency plan "what if" and "just in case" you miss the flight.

Archived