Tickets to Sagrada Familia?

narnia1

We are arriving in BCN in Sept. for 2 precruise nights. We didn't want to risk booking reserved tickets for SF for the first day in case we were delayed in our arrival. The next day is Sunday-and although SF apparently opens at 8:00 AM, the on line site only has tickets available for 9 am, 14, pm and 16 pm. Do you think it is necessary or worthwhile to reserve tickets in advance or to just show up as early as possible? Thanks for any suggestions. The other question I had was that if we took the HOHO bus from Pl. Catalunya, I would have no idea what time we would actually arrive at SF so we are most likely going to Metro it.:)

We were there about 9:00 on a Saturday, and the wait for admission was about 15 minutes. By the time we left at about 11:00, the line was 4 times as long. I think it's good to arrive as early as possible.

Bear in mind that you might be quite tired the first day, and might not feel like getting up early and appreciating a major sight. What about scheduling SF for your second morning, before you board the cruise ship? That way, you could wander around as much as you felt like the first day, then crash.

The other question I had was that if we took the HOHO bus from Pl. Catalunya, I would have no idea what time we would actually arrive at SF so we are most likely going to Metro it.:)
Go with your gut on this one. The HOHO bus has its uses, but it is not the most efficient transportation. In fact, you may have to change HOHO buses, depending on where you get on (there are two different bus routes through Barcelona).

We tried the HOHO bus in Barcelona in July and it was a waste of time and money. Far too crowded and at several stops many buses would go by before one came along with an empty seat.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you buy tickets to the SF ahead of time? I was not sure the inside was open to the public. I looked at the website and I did not see a place to order tickets. Julie

The inside is DEFINITELY open to the public and is highly recommended if you are even slightly interested in architecture or cathedrals.

Purchase tickets at http://www.telentrada.com/Telentrada to save time in line when you get there - it is a 3 euro fee but it is worth it if your time is tight in Barcelona. If you have more time/flexibility in your itinerary, you can wait to buy your tickets the day you get there but keep in mind the earlier in the morning you get there (opens at 9am), the less busy it will be!! Definitely get there early to avoid lines. Tickets are available about 2 weeks in advance.

Select the English option (farthest to the right :))

Select Barcelona as the town, click the red arrow

Select Molt as the kind, click the red arrow

Select Sagrada Familia as the place, click the red arrow (leave show blank)

IGNORE the fact that it says free entry for children less than 10 years old :rolleyes:

Select the day you will be there

Choose the time you want to go (choice of 9am-1pm, 2pm-4pm, or after 4)

Click Continue

Choose the "General" ticket option for adult admission (11 euro)

Enter the number of tickets you need

Check out using a Visa/Mastercard

There is a separate line at Sagrada Familia for anyone with prepurchased tickets - the line is typically much shorter. You will need a copy of your purchase confirmation, the card you paid with, and ID to pick up your tickets and enter.

Quick question about the timed tickets. If I buy a 9am-1pm entry ticket, do we have to be finished visiting by 1pm or is that just the latest that we can enter? Our ship arrives at 10am, so figuring debarking time and possibly a taxi or metro ride over, I don't anticipate arriving before 11 or 11:30am and think we'd spend about 2hours here or so.

Thanks!

Quick question about the timed tickets. If I buy a 9am-1pm entry ticket, do we have to be finished visiting by 1pm or is that just the latest that we can enter? Our ship arrives at 10am, so figuring debarking time and possibly a taxi or metro ride over, I don't anticipate arriving before 11 or 11:30am and think we'd spend about 2hours here or so.

Thanks!

That is the latest you can enter. Once you're in, take as much time as you'd like :)

That being said - assuming you are off the ship at 10:15 (very likely), you could easily be at Sagrada Familia by 11am if you take the metro; faster still if you take a taxi.

I noticed that last Dec. you were on the NCL Spirit. How was it and the itinerary? We are going on it in Nov. I won the trip through Arthur Frommer's magazine.I have never been on NCL before. What excursions did you take? julie If you had rather not reply here on this thread you can e me at clydeketcham@sbcglobal.net or on the Nov.29 sailing of the Spirit thread. Thanks

If you had rather not reply here on this thread you can e me at clydeketcham@sbcglobal.net or on the Nov.29 sailing of the Spirit thread. Thanks

Just a reminder: Please keep on sharing information ON THE BOARDS. That's what makes Cruise Critic the beneficial resource it is. Our members learn from other member experiences, and we can't know what those experiences were if you share them offline.

Thanks!

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

The inside is DEFINITELY open to the public and is highly recommended if you are even slightly interested in architecture or cathedrals.

Purchase tickets at http://www.telentrada.com/Telentrada to save time in line when you get there - it is a 3 euro fee but it is worth it if your time is tight in Barcelona. If you have more time/flexibility in your itinerary, you can wait to buy your tickets the day you get there but keep in mind the earlier in the morning you get there (opens at 9am), the less busy it will be!! Definitely get there early to avoid lines. Tickets are available about 2 weeks in advance.

Select the English option (farthest to the right :))

Select Barcelona as the town, click the red arrow

Select Molt as the kind, click the red arrow

Select Sagrada Familia as the place, click the red arrow (leave show blank)

IGNORE the fact that it says free entry for children less than 10 years old :rolleyes:

Select the day you will be there

Choose the time you want to go (choice of 9am-1pm, 2pm-4pm, or after 4)

Click Continue

Choose the "General" ticket option for adult admission (11 euro)

Enter the number of tickets you need

Check out using a Visa/Mastercard

There is a separate line at Sagrada Familia for anyone with prepurchased tickets - the line is typically much shorter. You will need a copy of your purchase confirmation, the card you paid with, and ID to pick up your tickets and enter.

I'm so confused. What does 'molt' mean? I'm following these instructions and it's asking me what seats? I don't want to see a movie, I want to see the church! Am I doing this right?

We were advised to take a cab to the church of La Sagrada Familia first thing in the morning, in order to beat the crowds. This turned out to be good advice. We waited a few minutes to see if anyone wanted to share a cab, but it seemed that most people getting off the ship were going on tours or to other locations. So we took our own cab. It was metered and the ride to Sagrada Familia turned out to be 18 €.

We expected Sagrada Familia to be mildly interesting in a weird way. We were completely blown away by this incredible piece of art and architecture! We spent 2.5 hours there (and were glad we got there early, because the lines were very long when we finished). You can admire the exterior for free with no line, but if you want to go inside, it’s 11 per person for admission & museum, plus 2.50 € if you want to ride the elevator to the top.

The inside of the cathedral is pretty, but still very incomplete and not yet as interesting as the outside. However, the admission charge was worth it for the excellent museum, where we spent a lot of time. If you pay to get in, plan to spend some time in the museum. They have a video about the building of the cathedral, which plays in English, Spanish, and Catalan, with subtitles. It's a good video, plus it gives you a chance to hear some Catalan.

The elevator was also worthwhile for the great views and the ability to see the towers up close. There is another line inside for the elevator, but it is helpfully posted with signs to let you estimate how long the wait will be.

As we had never been to Barcelona and wanted to see as much as possible, so we opted to take the Hop On Hop Off Bus. (First you have to purchase a shuttle ticket for $10.00 Round Trip from Guest Services.) It was 21 Euro for the HOHO Bus and we purchased them from a young lady before getting on the bus. Be sure to get the right hoho bus company! Take the barcelona Bus Touristic.. it's Blue on top. You can go up top and get GREAT VIEWS or go below for Air Conditioning but not such great viewing. Be sure to get the map and the Coupon Book they hand out. (There is a 1 Euro Off coupon for La Sagrade Familia.) The bus goes in one direction, the Blue Line or The Red Line. We took the Blue Line. It was great. They give you headphones and it is narrated all along the route. We got off at the La Sagrade Familia stop and walked a few yards to the ticket booths in front. Entrance is 11 Euro, (10Euro with the coupon.) There is a Free Film, be sure to watch it as it gives you the history, we watched it after wish we did that first.

The HOHO Bus does get very crowded as people wait to get on BUT.... it may not look it to US but it is very organized. There is a "HOHO Person" at each stop that navigates who and how to get on. If you want to sit Up Top.... and it filled, you can wait til the next bus OR sit downstairs. Many people will say they will wait and they the HOHO Person will ask anyone want lower level(AC) ? If you don't care and just want to get to your distination, you walk by the line and Hop On. :-) When we left we ho/ho and got off at the stop to see Quell Park. THAT was awesome! You have to walk about 3 blocks up a steep street to get there. Then we grabbed the Red Line HOHO Bus to view more of the city, we did the whole loop as we wanted to see the Olympic Stadium. We hopped off at the Las Ramblas stop. We stopped at "Top Tapas" for HUGE Glass of Sangria. Perfect! It was 11 Euro for one glass but it was huge and DELICIOUS! LOL People stopped and took pictures of US! By the way... there's an ATM right across the street for Top Tapas.For US, the Hop On Hop Off Bus was a great value and would diffinetly do it again. :-)

I'm so confused. What does 'molt' mean? I'm following these instructions and it's asking me what seats? I don't want to see a movie, I want to see the church! Am I doing this right?

Molt translates to "very" or "much" in Catalan. I'm not sure why Sagrada Familia is categorized under "Molt +" but that is where you will find it.

Your end screen should like:

Town: Barcelona

Kind: Molt +

Place: Sagrada Família

Show: Visita Sagrada Familia-Gratuït <10 anys

Day: 24/09/2009

Session: 09:00

Enter what day & session you want - those are just an example :) Never have I been asked for seats :confused:

We took the Blue Line. It was great. They give you headphones and it is narrated all along the route. We took the loop around and got off at the 8th stop (I thnk) and walked through the Gotic area to the

Red Line Transfer Placa de Catolyona.

THEN

We got off at the La Sagrade Familia stop and walked a few yards to the ticket booths in front. :-)

Please note my correction. La Sagrade Familia is on the RED LINE.

21 Euro is for a One Day Pass for both Red and Blue Lines.

It's neat, you keep your headphones with you and just plug them into the console at your seat when you get on the next bus. Choice of language too.

Be sure to pull them up when you g to leave. LOL

Actually, looking at my travel notes...... there are THREE Lines, Blue, Red and Green

Three Routes and 44 stops

Get on and off... combine three routes in 6 transfer points

Molt translates to "very" or "much" in Catalan. I'm not sure why Sagrada Familia is categorized under "Molt +" but that is where you will find it.

Your end screen should like:

Town: Barcelona

Kind: Molt +

Place: Sagrada Família

Show: Visita Sagrada Familia-Gratuït <10 anys

Day: 24/09/2009

Session: 09:00

Enter what day & session you want - those are just an example :) Never have I been asked for seats :confused:

I finished my transaction. How do you get your tickets? Email? I checked my credit card and they charged me but I haven't gotten an email confirmation.

Oh, I just checked my email. Got something from them. It may be the tickets. Not sure, it's in SPANISH.

If you post the email (XXXX out any transaction numbers for privacy) I will translate for you. Hopefully it's in Spanish and not Catalan or else I won't be much help :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

I am attempting to purchase tickets for Sagrada Familia in advance and the options I am being given are sessions @ 9AM, 2PM, or 4PM. So, if I purchase the 9AM session does this mean I can arrive and enter @ 11AM? Thanks!

I am attempting to purchase tickets for Sagrada Familia in advance and the options I am being given are sessions @ 9AM, 2PM, or 4PM. So, if I purchase the 9AM session does this mean I can arrive and enter @ 11AM? Thanks!

Yes. From what I understand, you can enter from 9am - 1pm.

Just one word:

With the Pope coming in November to consecrate the Sagrada Familia, construction crews are in mega-high gear to get as much finished off as possible, especially in the interior. So, you may not be able to wander totally around as you wish. In April, we could go inside, but were restricted to seeing the main part of the cathedral from behind a construction fence. On the outside, they had part of it cordoned off, so you couldn't walk all the way around on the grounds. My travel mates were bummed out that they couldn't see all they saw in their previous visit, but I took it as "I'm thrilled to see ANY part of the Sagrada Familia!!!!!"

So, be aware that you may have to adjust your expectations for Sagrada Familia.

Archived