Does my son need a birth certificate

We are going on IOS on saturday 29th. My husband and I are in one cabin and my son is in another with my mum. I cant find his birth certificate, we only have the small one which does not name his parents. He and mum have a different reservation number. Will he be allowed to travel without it, twice I have rung Royal Carribean, one said we need it, one said we didn't! If I go to the registry office will they give you another one while you wait and what is the cost. Hope someone can help me Thanks.

Check your sailing documents and have exactly what they say. I would not trust someone telling you that you need or don't need something. As a general reference, here's a link to the RCI U.K. site that talks about required travel documentation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do;jsessionid=0000mhDx5mtKh6W7sKynkMISyBx:13dlht8th?cS=NAVBAR

P.S. There is an ongoing thread about someone's child who was denied boarding because the child had a different last name than the parents. That's when they needed a birth certificate to prove the link between parent and child. This is addressed in the document site as well.

"In addition parents travelling with minors who do not have the same surname must present proof of parentage which may include but is not limited to birth certificates, marriage certificates or divorce papers etc."

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required)
and
the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

So I think you are okay if your son has your same last name.. only issue is if it differs.

Yes he has passport, but this is a new requirement from RC I think, thanks for replying.

There was another poster who posted on this very thing.

Something about the BC that proves one of you are the parent?????

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1043488&highlight=denied+boarding

To be on the safe side, I would bring it just in case. The last thing you want to happen it him not allowed to board because of this!

The cost isn't typically very much (typically less than $20) so it's worth it to have just to be prepared.

If it isn't possible to get one on short notice then I suggest you have someone at RCCL send you something via email stating that you won't need the certificate and bring it with you top show at the port.

We are going on IOS on saturday 29th. My husband and I are in one cabin and my son is in another with my mum. I cant find his birth certificate, we only have the small one which does not name his parents. He and mum have a different reservation number. Will he be allowed to travel without it, twice I have rung Royal Carribean, one said we need it, one said we didn't! If I go to the registry office will they give you another one while you wait and what is the cost. Hope someone can help me Thanks.

Do you and your husband have the same last name as your son? If so, I don't understand why there would be any questions asked. You would all be checking in together? I think the other poster that people are brining up was divorced and the child had a different last name than the mother.

No, if the child has the same surname as you both, or at least one of you, and you all check in at the same time, then there is no need for a birth certificate.

Birth certificates are only needed if the child has a different surname to you and you have to provide the paper trail showing that you were Mrs XX when you gave birth, then your divorce papers, and then your marriage certificate when you got remarried and became Mrs YY.

Don't forget your passports though!

RCCL seem to eb really strict on this. I have had a different surname to my 2 children ( now 19 and 20 ) for 10 years and have travelled to many countries with them including America twice and never had a query at customs/airports etc about the different names.

This time even though my DD is 19 because I will be signing alcohol waiver I have to show proof I am her parent which involved getting a " full " birth certificate showing my name and then also have to bring my marriage certificate to show my name changing.

My son is on a seperate booking to us, he is booked to travel with my mum who has a different surname, RCCL want to see his birth certificate because me and hubby are travelling on a different booking number.

Rubbish! You are standing next to your child at checkin, why on earth would you need his birth certificate..?! Honestly, I think they make it up as they go along sometimes! Bring it with you have you have gone to expense and effort to get it, but please let us know if you ever have to produce it;)

My son is on a seperate booking to us, he is booked to travel with my mum who has a different surname, RCCL want to see his birth certificate because me and hubby are travelling on a different booking number.

I don't understand why RCI would want a birth certificate if you are actually travelling with your son. Unless he has a different surname to you and your husband?

If you are all booking in at the same time it doesn't matter. We sailed on Indy from Southampton in May and 2 of my children were sharing a cabin with my mother who has a different surname. As we had 2 cabins, we had 2 booking numbers ... RCI always gives each cabin a different booking number. At check in we were guided to seperate check in desks (next to each other)... we were told it would speed things up. They knew we were travelling together, they checked our passports and we boarded with no problems whatsoever.

Archived