Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

Received my assignment for O on 20 March this morning.

Had booked a VF guarantee and received a VA - Verandah Deck on 5. Nice upgrade!

It's an aft cabin - help me convince my wife that is a good thing! ;)

We love aft cabins! Never bothered by noise. Also it's less windy, so you can enjoy your balcony more when sailing. Love watching the ship's wake. We are sailing in April & have booked a wraparound aft cabin.

Got our cabin assignment today for Maasdam March 19 out of San Diego. 8 days before sailing - pretty much right on what was expected.

We booked a guarantee on January 6. We paid $2100.00 each on a smoking hot deal for a G category outside. The current price for this category is $3351.45, so even if we didn't get an upgrade, we would have saved a good chunk of change by booking earlier. We knew it had the possibility of being partially obstructed, porthole, no bathtub, front of the ship, etc., but were willing to take the chance that we would end up with what we paid for. We don't spend a lot of time in our room, neither of us suffer from motion sickness, and prefer to save what we can on pricing which makes us able to travel more often.

We got our cabin assignment today (1 week before departure). We are very happy with our upgrade fairy. She has put us into a D category mid ship with full, unobstructed window view. The current price for this cabin is $4371.45. We saved over $2200 per person by taking our chances with the guarantee booking.

You have to decide whether or not you are willing to take the chance of no upgrade when you play the guarantee game. We knew we could have easily ended up with exactly what we booked, and were prepared to enjoy ourselves if that is what we got. But we also were willing to spin the wheel to see if got lucky, and this time we did.

Also, if you are not comfortable with the unknown and are the type of person who will stress about waiting for a cabin assignment, then guarantees are not for you. We were fortunate to find out our cabin number a full week ahead of departure. Quite often we will leave a few days ahead of our cruise date and may not know where we will be rooming before we leave home.

It is a great option for easy to please cruisers who are willing to take the chance that they MIGHT get an upgrade, but remember - it is not a guarantee of an upgrade, but a guarantee of at least what you booked. If you are willing to take the gamble, then go for it. We sure are glad we did. Now we just have to decide what to do with the $4400 we saved!!! More than enough to book another cruise! We just have to decide where to!

We hope others waiting for their cabin assignments also are visited by the upgrade fairy, and are happy with their rooms. We are looking forward to another great cruise with HAL - they haven't disappointed us yet. Enjoy!:)

Congratulations Davidson Duo!!! The Maasdam is one our favorites. Enjoy your cruise. We are still waiting for our assignment for our Noordam sailing on the 25th. Fingers crossed that the upgrade fairy will throw her shiny dust our way :)

Got our cabin assignment today for Maasdam March 19 out of San Diego. 8 days before sailing - pretty much right on what was expected.

We booked a guarantee on January 6. We paid $2100.00 each on a smoking hot deal for a G category outside. The current price for this category is $3351.45, so even if we didn't get an upgrade, we would have saved a good chunk of change by booking earlier. :)

Wow. That is a great price for a 28 day cruise. Only $75/day

I've tried to read this whole thread but it's just too big so I'll ask the question...If I book and choose a specific stateroom, but still tick off the box that I would be willing to upgrade, would that upgrade (if there was one) come in the form of an offer that I could choose or refuse? Or would it be an automatic upgrade with no choice to say no I'll keep what I've chosen? Very confused..

...If I book and choose a specific stateroom, but still tick off the box that I would be willing to upgrade, would that upgrade (if there was one) come in the form of an offer that I could choose or refuse? Or would it be an automatic upgrade with no choice to say no I'll keep what I've chosen? ..

If you let HAL know that you will accept an upgrade, that is, you don't pay anything extra, then no, you don't get the opportunity to turn it down once given.

If you are offered an upsell, that is you do pay additional for the cabin, then it is your choice.

In fact, unless you specifically state Do Not Upgrade HAL presumes that they can move you from your chosen cabin without consultation. It happened to us on the Amsterdam. They moved us a few cabins away, to the same class of cabin, so it wasn't an upgrade or downgrade. The one we had chosen had a connecting door, and I presume somebody else wanted that feature.

Thanks for the replys, so If I ticked the Do Not Upgrade would I ever be offered an upsell? I think I am finally understanding this thanks to you both..
Yes, on the Eurodam we booked a specific cabin, said Do Not Upgrade, and were called with an offer of an upsell. It was too much $, and we declined.

Do you actually save money, initally? For example if I booked a VA category with no Upgrade, would it cost more than a VA category with a yes Up Grade me! Or is the only savings in the actual upgrade when and if it comes?

No savings initially if you check the "Up Grade Me" box or not. The price is the same with or without it checked. The savings would be if they upgraded you after the fact.

Just got my cabin assignment for the March 27th sailing of the Oosterdam. I was initially in a VH gtee then upsold to an SZ then again to an SC gtee. Today I was assigned SA 7068.

Downside is it's next to the glass elevators, upside is, I'm just down the "road" from the Neptune Lounge:D

Just got my cabin assignment for the March 27th sailing of the Oosterdam. I was initially in a VH gtee then upsold to an SZ then again to an SC gtee. Today I was assigned SA 7068.

Downside is it's next to the glass elevators, upside is, I'm just down the "road" from the Neptune Lounge:D

You upsold twice? Was this at your initiative or did you wait until HAL contacted you? I am thinking of going ahead now and upselling to SC from SY. If I get another upgrade that would be wonderful. But at least I wouldn't be so nervous. I really want the perks offered with SC-SB-SA.

Archived