Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Thank you all for the information. I'll start working on Hyatt Place today.

Thank you-Thank you as always my cruise critic members always come through for me.

Marcy

Edited by marcyjane

Good Morning all,

Forgive me for asking this question I'm sure It has been answered many times on this thread, but I have read til my eyes are crossing.

Looking for Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale that has free shuttle from airport to hotel and then hotel to Port Everglades. Would like for the hotel to also have contential breaksfast and to be near a 7 eleven, groc., mini market as we are Pespi Product drinkers and need to pick up a few six packs before we board the Carnival Freedmon Nov. 2010.

Any information would be helpful and Thank you cruise critic member in advance for your time & trouble.

Marcy

Hyatt Place North on 10th, 5 minute walk to http://www.theharborshops.com/

Check ValueTrips.com to book Hyatt.

Stayed there April'10 and plan to stay there Spring 2011.

I'm looking at three hotels on Hotwire and believe I've got them identified. I don't think I'll be able to use a complimentary airport shuttle as our flight is in after midnight and only a few hotels in Ft. Lauderdale seem to run their airport shuttle after midnight. We are looking at a cab from the hotel to the cruise terminal for the three of us so we don't need a cruise shuttle.

The choices seem to be:

• The Westin Ft. Lauderdale on Corporate Drive at $67.37 with taxes, recommended by 80% of travelers, 3.5 circles on TripAdvisor. It looks to be the furthest of the three from both the airport and Port Everglades so taxi will cost more. I also don't see any grocery stores within walking distance to pickup sodas and wine the morning of the cruise.
  • Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale South on Southwest 18th Avenue in Dania Beach at $72.78 with taxes, recommended by 95% of travelers, 4.0 circles on TripAdvisor. It looks very close to the airport and cruise terminal but I don't see any grocery stores within walking distance, there does seem to be a Walgreens about a mile away. Don't know what cab fare would run from FLL to this hotel and from this hotel to Port Everglades. This is the highest rated of the three on the review sites.
  • Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale North on Southeast 10th Avenue at $94.99 with taxes, recommended by 90% of travelers, 3.5 circles on TripAdvisor. It looks the closest to the airport and cruise terminal and has a Publix very close by. Since it seems to be one of the more popular pre-cruise hotels, it is likely to be more crowded than the other two and is about $22.00 more than the Hyatt Place South.

Anyone care to comment? I'm leaning towards the Hyatt Place South but wonder if having the meter running on the cab if I run into Publix on the way to the ship and the extra distance would eat up any cost savings.

Local opinion please! :confused:

Flying into FLL Nov. 12 sailing Miami Nov. 15 - group of 6. Planning on renting a car (or 2). Would really like to be on the beach.

Some of us have travel points and can get the following hotels for free.

Any recommendation?

Westin Beach Resort

Best Western Oceanside Inn

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort

The Westin Fort Lauderdale

any with a kitchenette would be a bonus.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know if there are any kitchenettes available at any of these, maybe Best Western if any. Westin Fort Laud is very nice if you have a car, as it miles north of port/airport (probably $35-45 cab far each way)and not a good walk to anything. Best Western Oceanside is probably the least nicest and is a bit far to walk to the beachfront restaurants. Sheraton is few blocks closer to the restaurants and is directly on the beach. Westin Fort Lauderdale is very nice and across the street from the beach and a reasonable walk to most restaurants.

I'm looking at three hotels on Hotwire and believe I've got them identified. I don't think I'll be able to use a complimentary airport shuttle as our flight is in after midnight and only a few hotels in Ft. Lauderdale seem to run their airport shuttle after midnight. We are looking at a cab from the hotel to the cruise terminal for the three of us so we don't need a cruise shuttle.

The choices seem to be:

• The Westin Ft. Lauderdale on Corporate Drive at $67.37 with taxes, recommended by 80% of travelers, 3.5 circles on TripAdvisor. It looks to be the furthest of the three from both the airport and Port Everglades so taxi will cost more. I also don't see any grocery stores within walking distance to pickup sodas and wine the morning of the cruise.
  • Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale South on Southwest 18th Avenue in Dania Beach at $72.78 with taxes, recommended by 95% of travelers, 4.0 circles on TripAdvisor. It looks very close to the airport and cruise terminal but I don't see any grocery stores within walking distance, there does seem to be a Walgreens about a mile away. Don't know what cab fare would run from FLL to this hotel and from this hotel to Port Everglades. This is the highest rated of the three on the review sites.
  • Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale North on Southeast 10th Avenue at $94.99 with taxes, recommended by 90% of travelers, 3.5 circles on TripAdvisor. It looks the closest to the airport and cruise terminal and has a Publix very close by. Since it seems to be one of the more popular pre-cruise hotels, it is likely to be more crowded than the other two and is about $22.00 more than the Hyatt Place South.

Anyone care to comment? I'm leaning towards the Hyatt Place South but wonder if having the meter running on the cab if I run into Publix on the way to the ship and the extra distance would eat up any cost savings.

There is a Kmart and BJs a few blocks away from the Hyatt Place FLL South. Since it is brand new and has shuttles it is a great first choice based on price. Hyatt Place north is also a great choice. Westin is much too far if you are paying cab fare, and there are no grocery/drug stores to walk to.

I don't know if there are any kitchenettes available at any of these, maybe Best Western if any. Westin Fort Laud is very nice if you have a car, as it miles north of port/airport (probably $35-45 cab far each way)and not a good walk to anything. Best Western Oceanside is probably the least nicest and is a bit far to walk to the beachfront restaurants. Sheraton is few blocks closer to the restaurants and is directly on the beach. Westin Fort Lauderdale is very nice and across the street from the beach and a reasonable walk to most restaurants.

Royalcruz, thanks so much for your input. Do you know if any of these hotels would come up on Hotwire? We'll need to pay for a room or two.

Thanks again.

There is a Kmart and BJs a few blocks away from the Hyatt Place FLL South. Since it is brand new and has shuttles it is a great first choice based on price. Hyatt Place north is also a great choice. Westin is much too far if you are paying cab fare, and there are no grocery/drug stores to walk to.

Great, thanks for the help! That was exactly what I was looking for...

Good Morning all,

Forgive me for asking this question I'm sure It has been answered many times on this thread, but I have read til my eyes are crossing.

Looking for Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale that has free shuttle from airport to hotel and then hotel to Port Everglades. Would like for the hotel to also have contential breaksfast and to be near a 7 eleven, groc., mini market as we are Pespi Product drinkers and need to pick up a few six packs before we board the Carnival Freedmon Nov. 2010.

Any information would be helpful and Thank you cruise critic member in advance for your time & trouble.

Marcy

Another one...

Sleep Inn and suites, Dania,

Free pickup at airport.

Free drop off at port.

Free breakfast.

Publix and Dollar Store and a couple of restaurants across the street.

Walgreens next door.

Royalcruz, thanks so much for your input. Do you know if any of these hotels would come up on Hotwire? We'll need to pay for a room or two.

Thanks again.

They are all on Hotwire. Here is a link to help you figure out which ones are which by area and ammenities:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=67&

I was excited to see your post! We're staying at Embassy Suites and would love to have a suggestion for a quick dinner ... hamburgers, fish tacos, etc. Is there anything real laid-back, open-air on the water?

I was excited to see your post! We're staying at Embassy Suites and would love to have a suggestion for a quick dinner ... hamburgers, fish tacos, etc. Is there anything real laid-back, open-air on the water?

Within walking distance you can get good burgers and fish tacos at Duffy's or Quarterdeck but neither are on the water. The only really laid back places on the water are by the beachfront, about 3 miles away:Coconuts on the intracoastal has good burgers and fish tacos, has good food, and is laid back like in the keys. Bahia Cabana is on the marina by the beach, and there are lots of places across the street from the beach, north of Las Olas Blvd. The food by the beach in the laid back places isn't great, but some people like Iguana in Beach Place.

I need to read all 11 pages...:D. In a nutshell, we're on the Emerald's 11/8 sailing out of FLL. We've never been to FL. Plan to arrive the day before sailing and stay a few days after our return to visit some of the Keys and/or the Everglades.

Would love some suggestions of where to stay and what to do! Thank you!

What hotel do you think this is on Hotwire?

Hollywood Beach

Resort

Near Beach

smoke free

fitness

pool

restaurants

internet

golf

$109

It could be either the Crowne Plaza or Westin Diplomat. Both hotels show the same amenities. I have read here that the Westin sometimes puts people at their golf resort which is not at the beach but has a beach shuttle, despite Hotwire showing the beach location, so it is good to confirm with the hotel.

I need to read all 11 pages...:D. In a nutshell, we're on the Emerald's 11/8 sailing out of FLL. We've never been to FL. Plan to arrive the day before sailing and stay a few days after our return to visit some of the Keys and/or the Everglades.

Would love some suggestions of where to stay and what to do! Thank you!

I like going all the way to Key West, but it's a 4 hr ride. Ocean Key House and Pier House are nicely located. Best Western Hibiscus is a good budget option if you are able to walk a mile into the main part of town. If you don't want to go that far, Hawk's Cay and Cheeca Lodge are nice resorts in the middle keys, but there isn't much to see in the middle keys.

Thinking of taking the train big saver. How is the area around the Station.

Thank You

We just returned after taking Amtrak. There is not much around but it is a very busy station.

Be warned about the taxi drivers at the station. As soon as you get off the train to retrieve your luggage, they are there offering to take you to your hotel. After 27 hours on the train, I foolishly agreed and ending up paying $27.00 for a trip that should have been no more than $15.00. They're metered cabs and they take the long way around.

Upon our return, we had the hotel call a cab and get an estimate for the fare. $12-15.00. When he arrived, she told him to take the direct route. Our fare was $15.00.

Hyatt Place North is my pick. Try to get room with www.valuetrips.com If you book with value trips you would then cancel your present reservations.

Hyatt Place North is next door to www.theharborshops.com

The trolley stops in front of Publix. www.suntrolley.com and you can walk to water taxi.

Hyatt has shuttle from airport and to ship.

Solstice sails out of the new Celebrity facility (very nice and new).

We just returned from our stay at the Hyatt Place North. The room is exactly as you see it on their website. It's a beautiful and spacious room. We had only one complaint. Upon entering the room, we were greeted with a spa like scent. Only problem, if you are sentsitive or allergic, as I am, to perfumes and chemical irritants, this might not be your best choice. That wonderful spa like scent gave me a migraine. I know it was the room because we stayed there before and after our cruise. Migraine both times.

The shuttle was quick and easy. Going to the ship, we chose the noon shuttle, but was able to get on the 11:30 shuttle with no problem. After our cruise, since the shuttle was returning from the airport, he was there in a matter of minutes. Even though check in was at 3pm, they gave us our room when we arrived from the ship.

One thing about the Harbor Shops, going from the hotel to the shopping center, you have to enter through the back parking lot which is deserted. At night, there was very little lights around the hotel and on the street to the shopping center and parking lot. We did not feel safe walking there at night.

In addition to the Publix supermarket, there is the Total Wine store that you can get lost in. If you go into 5 Guys/3 Guys, or what ever it is called, for a hamburger...Only order 1 order of french fries. One order is like 3 orders any place else. Good hamburger with free peanuts to munch on while you wait for your order.

Next to the hotel, there is a closed restaurant, which also is not lit up, then there is an Outback Steak House.

On 2 occasions, we saw the Sun Trolley outside the hotel. The driver said that if you request to be dropped off there, some drivers will accomodate.

As nice and as convenient the Hyatt Place North was, ONLY because of the scent in the room, we will choose another hotel next time we cruise from Ft. Lauderdale.

We just returned from our stay at the Hyatt Place North. The room is exactly as you see it on their website. It's a beautiful and spacious room. We had only one complaint. Upon entering the room, we were greeted with a spa like scent. Only problem, if you are sentsitive or allergic, as I am, to perfumes and chemical irritants, this might not be your best choice. That wonderful spa like scent gave me a migraine. I know it was the room because we stayed there before and after our cruise. Migraine both times.

The shuttle was quick and easy. Going to the ship, we chose the noon shuttle, but was able to get on the 11:30 shuttle with no problem. After our cruise, since the shuttle was returning from the airport, he was there in a matter of minutes. Even though check in was at 3pm, they gave us our room when we arrived from the ship.

One thing about the Harbor Shops, going from the hotel to the shopping center, you have to enter through the back parking lot which is deserted. At night, there was very little lights around the hotel and on the street to the shopping center and parking lot. We did not feel safe walking there at night.

In addition to the Publix supermarket, there is the Total Wine store that you can get lost in. If you go into 5 Guys/3 Guys, or what ever it is called, for a hamburger...Only order 1 order of french fries. One order is like 3 orders any place else. Good hamburger with free peanuts to munch on while you wait for your order.

Next to the hotel, there is a closed restaurant, which also is not lit up, then there is an Outback Steak House.

On 2 occasions, we saw the Sun Trolley outside the hotel. The driver said that if you request to be dropped off there, some drivers will accomodate.

As nice and as convenient the Hyatt Place North was, ONLY because of the scent in the room, we will choose another hotel next time we cruise from Ft. Lauderdale.

From Hyatt Place you do not have to enter Harbor Shops through the back but it is a shortcut. You can certainly walk to 17th St, make a right, and make a right on Cordova Rd. to get to the shopping center.

Great Review!!! Sorry you had problem with scent in room. We did not have that problem.

We stayed at Hyatt 2 nights prior to cruise. Second day, house keeping made up room while we were in room. They were going to spray a scent in bathroom after cleaning.

Asked to not spray scent.

We rode the trolley and driver did drop us off at hotel since it was late evening.

Have Hyatt Place booked for 2011.

Wife, two kids and I are looking to spend a couple of days post cruise in FLL. Found a CC message board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197900&page=4) that will allow us to use a discount. We were thinking about the Sheraton Beach Hotel, because of the price. Can you tell me if the are any budget friendly places to eat close? I've looking at Google Earth and there doesn't seem like much.

Edited by gregandmadee

I found a *** hotel near Port Everglades that I believe is the Hyatt Place for $82. Gets high ratings. Checked Hotels.com and it lists HP as 3*. Any other clues before I book? Thanks very much

From Hyatt Place you do not have to enter Harbor Shops through the back but it is a shortcut. You can certainly walk to 17th St, make a right, and make a right on Cordova Rd. to get to the shopping center.

DUH....Why didn't I think of that???:rolleyes::D

Seriously, we followed directions given to us by the hotel staff. I never thought to go around the block!

Great Review!!! Sorry you had problem with scent in room. We did not have that problem.

We stayed at Hyatt 2 nights prior to cruise. Second day, house keeping made up room while we were in room. They were going to spray a scent in bathroom after cleaning.

Asked to not spray scent.

We rode the trolley and driver did drop us off at hotel since it was late evening.

Have Hyatt Place booked for 2011.

I wonder if I can request, in advance, a room that has not been scent sprayed?? I would definitely stay again.