Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

If it's the one in Fort Lauderdale, there is a good pizza/wings restaurant a block away and wine is just under a mile. It's a very new hotel, but not much right around it.

Will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise in November. Is there any type of shopping for last minute items within walking distance? Any place you recommend as a must-see or do while in FLL?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise in November. Is there any type of shopping for last minute items within walking distance? Any place you recommend as a must-see or do while in FLL?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

There is a CVS about 8 blocks south on US1. My favorite area to take visitors is Las Olas Blvd downtown, and west of there along the river and 2nd St. The beachfront at the east end of Las Olas Blvd (2 miles from downtown so don't even try to walk) is a fun area also, but it can get quite chilly and blowy by the end of November. These are a short cab ride away. Some people like to cruise the rivers on Water Taxi, Carrie B, or Jungle Queen.

You have helped us before on FL hotels. Today I am writing about FL outings for our pre-cruise stay.

We have crossed off Disneyworld and want to stay local (we will have no rental car as is currently planned).

What do you recommend for families of all ages?

Some have said EVERGLADES.

Someone watched the Great Race show last year where there was an underwater event in FL where people swam with mermaids and found a treasure.

How bout five recommendations?

Thanks again and again.

You have helped us before on FL hotels. Today I am writing about FL outings for our pre-cruise stay.

We have crossed off Disneyworld and want to stay local (we will have no rental car as is currently planned).

What do you recommend for families of all ages?

Some have said EVERGLADES.

Someone watched the Great Race show last year where there was an underwater event in FL where people swam with mermaids and found a treasure.

How bout five recommendations?

Thanks again and again.

I've never been interested in an everglades airboat ride but some people love it. Sawgrass Mills Mall is great but without a car it would be expensive to go there. Jungle Queen cruise is good for families. The beach is nice of course, in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. Also check out Boomer's in Dania Beach for arcade, mini golf, go carts, batting cages, etc. Dave & Busters is another arcade and is next to a multiplex cinema at Oakwood Plaza in Dania Beach/Hollywood. There are also water sports near the beach like jet ski and boat rentals.

I started this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26155129#post26155129

but maybe this is a more appropriate place to figure out what hotel is on hotwire for 3 stars, with seven amenities (non smoking, shuttle, breakfast, fitness center, swimming, restaurant, business center, laundry) in the FLL Hollywood Airport area, $62 a night on Dec. 22nd and 100% approval by hotwire customers.

I have been checking hotwire for this date for a few weeks (drug my heels and missed the $59 for the Hyatt Place deal for the same night) and I don't recall seeing this listing until today!

Any ideas on the hotel?

Did you check http://betterbidding.com/ They have a list of hotels and amenities that match

I Just booked on last minute travel for 69.00 fairfied Inn and suites airport hotel. They also had a 62.00 deal which was the Hilton FLL airport. You can find out what hotel it is if you pretend to add a car to your hotel as well. But I chose the fairfield b/c it has a free breakfast ,free parking for the cheap car I added and free shuttle to the airport.I have also been searching hotwire and priceline but the prices were a lot higher for when we were going on Jan8/9.

I've never been interested in an everglades airboat ride but some people love it. Sawgrass Mills Mall is great but without a car it would be expensive to go there. Jungle Queen cruise is good for families. The beach is nice of course, in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. Also check out Boomer's in Dania Beach for arcade, mini golf, go carts, batting cages, etc. Dave & Busters is another arcade and is next to a multiplex cinema at Oakwood Plaza in Dania Beach/Hollywood. There are also water sports near the beach like jet ski and boat rentals.

Thanks for the ideas. We have some family interested in alligators...are there any related activities?

Thanks for the ideas. We have some family interested in alligators...are there any related activities?

Everglades airboats and there is a native american alligator zoo on state rd 7 in Hollywood. The Jungle Queen used to have an alligator show but I don't know what the current show entails.

Hi everybody,

it is our first cruise from Fort Lauderdale on Cunard for 15nights (Miami - Aruba-Panama Chanel-Mexico - LA) and i am a little confused about the transportation.

We booked a hotel on South Beach, Crest Hotel - so can you advise how to get from MIA to South Beach and then South Beach to Fort lauderdale cruise terminal? And how much it will take us and cost?

Thanks a lot!

I was wondering if you had any information about this hotel. My sister stayed there over a year ago and they liked it and said it was close to the port and had a shuttle to the ship. After reading the boards on here I'm wondering if we should book that or some place else.

We are driving in from Tampa and wanted a hotel that offered free cruise parking at instead of paying at the port and a shuttle to the port or a low cost taxi ride. It must also have an airport shuttle as two of our parties are flying in the day before.

Thanks for your help!

Hoping to receive a couple of suggestions to questions regarding Fort Lauderdale and hotel area.

1. We fly in Sat afternoon 12/17, and are booked at Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th St. In need of a Target/Walmart close to hotel to pickup a couple of last minute items. Anything within walking distance or close to public transit?

2. Also want to pickup a few adult beverages. Suggestions close to Embassy Suites?

3. Is cruise port within walking diatance of Embassy Suites? Should we rely on shuttle service from hotel? Do I need to prebook or reserve hotel shuttle?

Thx,

bbunch04

Hi, and thanks for all your information! I've tried to see if you've already answered this, but haven't seen one yet, so...

We've got a group of Boy Scouts coming next summer and spending a night in Ft.Lauderdale before heading down to Seabase in the Keys. Many have never seen the ocean before, so would like to get a room right on or near the beach. Any suggestions? And what's the shuttle situation like from the airport? With 15 coming, I don't want to try and line up a chain of taxi's.

Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for all your information! I've tried to see if you've already answered this, but haven't seen one yet, so...

We've got a group of Boy Scouts coming next summer and spending a night in Ft.Lauderdale before heading down to Seabase in the Keys. Many have never seen the ocean before, so would like to get a room right on or near the beach. Any suggestions? And what's the shuttle situation like from the airport? With 15 coming, I don't want to try and line up a chain of taxi's.

Thanks!

None of the beach hotels have shuttles. You can prearrange a shuttle with SAS. The most reasonably priced hotels on the beach side are Sheraton and Best Western Oceanside. Some of the hotels have a walking bridge but I'm not sure which ones other than Westin. Bahia Mar has good rates across the street from the beach, but was just taken over by Hilton hotels so that could change. There are some hotels that aren't nice that might be ok for the boys across from the street...they are a bit gross but might give you a great group rate: Bahia Cabana, Tropic Cay, Sea Club.

So we will be staying on 17th for one night pre-cruise, any suggestions on where to eat? My husband will probably want seafood.

Thanks

For seafood near 17th St, cruiser favorites are Kelly's Landing, Bimini Boatyard, and 15th St Fisheries (last one is a long walk or very short ride of just over a mile, might want to walk there and take a taxi back to hotel).

For seafood near 17th St, cruiser favorites are Kelly's Landing, Bimini Boatyard, and 15th St Fisheries (last one is a long walk or very short ride of just over a mile, might want to walk there and take a taxi back to hotel).

Thanks, will do a web search and print out some menus. Sure is nice to have someone with your knowledge on these boards!

Thanks!

We are on a B2B cruise that will have a turnaround day on a Sunday in November wherein we will be off the ship from mid morning till around 4PM. A couple of old friends plan to drive over from Naples, on the gulf coast, to visit with us. Can anyone suggest an easy to find (for all of us), meeting place such as a restaurant or landmark with parking, perhaps on 17th street in Ft Lauderdale?

Jim and Flora in Costa Rica

I really appreciate all of the info I am getting from reading your posts. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights Dec 31 and Jan 1st prior to our cruise.My Question is what would be the nearest stop for the water taxi and what are the best stops for restaurants and also for picking up some wine for the cruise . Thanks Ed

We are on a B2B cruise that will have a turnaround day on a Sunday in November wherein we will be off the ship from mid morning till around 4PM. A couple of old friends plan to drive over from Naples, on the gulf coast, to visit with us. Can anyone suggest an easy to find (for all of us), meeting place such as a restaurant or landmark with parking, perhaps on 17th street in Ft Lauderdale?

Bimini Boatyard

Lester's Diner

Floridian Restaurant

Your friends could pick you up at your terminal. They could just wait in a parking lot on 17th St for your call to tell them that you are outside and at what terminal.

I really appreciate all of the info I am getting from reading your posts. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights Dec 31 and Jan 1st prior to our cruise.My Question is what would be the nearest stop for the water taxi and what are the best stops for restaurants and also for picking up some wine for the cruise . Thanks Ed

You are staying about 2 miles from the closest water taxi stop which is under the west side of the bridge on SE 17th St at the Hilton Marina. Halfway between there and the Crowne Plaza is Total Wine and Spirits. The best restaurant stop is the one on Las Olas (9) although you won't find waterfront dining there. Shooters has waterfront dining and has a stop...Chart House is next door too on the water. Beach Place (4) is the best stop for dining at the beach.

You are staying about 2 miles from the closest water taxi stop which is under the west side of the bridge on SE 17th St at the Hilton Marina. Halfway between there and the Crowne Plaza is Total Wine and Spirits. The best restaurant stop is the one on Las Olas (9) although you won't find waterfront dining there. Shooters has waterfront dining and has a stop...Chart House is next door too on the water. Beach Place (4) is the best stop for dining at the beach.

Thats perfect. Thank you very much for the info . It really helps with my planning

Cruising on Millenium 10/27. Flying PVD to FLL (I hate flying out of Boston. Not convenient for us). It's been quite a few years since we've last done this. What is the approximate taxi cost one way from FLL Airport to Miami pier?

Thanks.

Cruising on Millenium 10/27. Flying PVD to FLL (I hate flying out of Boston. Not convenient for us). It's been quite a few years since we've last done this. What is the approximate taxi cost one way from FLL Airport to Miami pier?

Thanks.

$85+ :eek: and the ride takes 35-45 minutes. There are several shuttle services, such as SAS or QLS, who will take you from FLL to POM for as low as $15 per person; they can also transport you back to FLL from POM after your cruise for the same price.

Where are you staying? :confused: You are flying in at least one day early like ALL SMART CRUISER DO, correct? Or are you immunie to weather delays, mechanical delays, ATC delays, and flight crew delays affecting your flights? :rolleyes:

Good luck! :)

Hi Jim. Are you originally from CR? Just wondering. My parents grew up there. I don't meet many CR folks in the States these days, which is why I asked. Enjoy your cruise!

Need pre and post hotel. pre-hotel need shuttle from FLL airport to hotel and then be able to get around and enjoy the water taxi and beach. Post-hotel would like shuttle from cruise port to hotel (or airport then hotel) and be able to get to Sawgrass mall. breakfast available would be great.