Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Am arriving in FtL for cruise out of Miami in Nov. - staying at Hilton Ft.L Airport on Griffin Rd. All info I have read says there are no places to eat nearby - nor is the hotel restaurant open. Hope this is not correct as I will be dropped off without a car at check-in time. Any suggestions for dinner/breakfast? Seems strange on an I95 exit there is not even a McDonalds or BurgerKing!

Has the hotel confirmed that the hotel restaurant is no longer open? It is still open according to the website, which might need an update. The hotel will be torn down in the near future because of airport runway changes, so perhaps they are cutting services. There are no fast food restaurants nearby. They are at the next exit off I95. Exits in this area are only 1-2 miles apart. You can (very carefully) walk across the street and eat at the Sheraton. There are several restaurants less than two miles away:Rustic Inn, Islamorada Fish Co., Big Fat Greek Restaurant, The Field, Royal India. It is not an area that is pedestrian friendly, so take a taxi, especially after dark.

Has the hotel confirmed that the hotel restaurant is no longer open? It is still open according to the website, which might need an update. The hotel will be torn down in the near future because of airport runway changes, so perhaps they are cutting services. There are no fast food restaurants nearby. They are at the next exit off I95. Exits in this area are only 1-2 miles apart. You can (very carefully) walk across the street and eat at the Sheraton. There are several restaurants less than two miles away:Rustic Inn, Islamorada Fish Co., Big Fat Greek Restaurant, The Field, Royal India. It is not an area that is pedestrian friendly, so take a taxi, especially after dark.

Thanks for the help - a TA review said resturant was closed for dinner, but still open for breakfast...I'll give them a call closer to Nov. If all else fails, there is always delivery pizza and Chinese!

We cruise out of Miami. When we return I have a rental car for the day. We will drop off the rental car in Fort Lauderdale. We would like to spend the day at the beach in fort Lauderdale then head to the airport. Please can someone help me with were I am going. Where is a nice beach in Fort Lauderdale. Where do I park, how much to park and where can we get lunch???? If you could help me to plan my day-it would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Relax and enjoy.

We cruise out of Miami. When we return I have a rental car for the day. We will drop off the rental car in Fort Lauderdale. We would like to spend the day at the beach in fort Lauderdale then head to the airport. Please can someone help me with were I am going. Where is a nice beach in Fort Lauderdale. Where do I park, how much to park and where can we get lunch???? If you could help me to plan my day-it would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Relax and enjoy.

Since you want to get lunch, I would suggest parking in the main beach area of Fort Lauderdale. Parking is relatively inexpensive. I think it is cheapest to park in the lot just north of Las Olas Blvd just east of the intracoastal bridge;it's a 2 block walk to the beach. You can pay with cash or credit cards (I think it's $1.75/hr) in the meters. There are also 2 metered parking lots on A1A south of Las Olas but they fill up fast and are another dollar per hour. There are also lots of small staffed lots for about $10/day flat rate cash. This whole area is packed with restaurants. Beach Place has bars, casual restaurants, and public restrooms, so it is a good place to start. You can park right in their garage but it is the most expensive parking in the area ($3 for the first hour and then it goes up from there so it can cost you $25). The first lot that I mentioned is close enough to here. Lulu's Bait Shack is probably the best place to eat in Beach Place.

I just registered today and am overwhelmed by the amount of info. Any thoughts on which would be better for a pre-cruise stay in Dania Beach: Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt House South or Hyatt Place?

We've stayedat Hyatt House several times when visiting our daughter who lives in Hollywood. We really like it there - very clean, modern, really good breakfast. If you stay there on a weeknight, you also get a little hors'd'oerves sp? buffet and free wine. They have different "theme" on differentnights. You can't go wrong staying there they are all "suites". Also, right across thestreet there is a very large shopping center, stores, restaurants, etc.

Hello! We are looking for a place to stay in January before our cruise that has a free airport and port shuttle and that is nearby to a grocery store or walmart like store. When we return from our cruise we would like a place to stay that is on the beach also with a port/airport shuttle. Any suggestions?

Hello! We are looking for a place to stay in January before our cruise that has a free airport and port shuttle and that is nearby to a grocery store or walmart like store. When we return from our cruise we would like a place to stay that is on the beach also with a port/airport shuttle. Any suggestions?

Precruise you should look at Sleep Inn Dania or many of the hotels east of I95 of Stirling Rd, like Hampton Inn. There are no beach hotels with shuttles that I know of.

Hot Wire has 2 - 4 star listed for 11-9-12.

4 star in Las Olas seems to be always listed

4 star on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

Has anybody ever bought these and were did they put you?

According to BetterBidding, the Las Olas-downtown-port zone is either Hilton Marina or Renaissance. The Fort Laud beach zone can be any of 5 different hotels.http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=67&

Click here and compare the amenities to narrow it down.

We used Priceline for 2 nights 7/19-7/21. We bid on the 4 star beach hotel and got the Hyatt Pier 66. Not sure if Hotwire considers it a beach hotel. We were disappointed in the fact that I dont consider the Hyatt a beach hotel and without a car it was not convenient to much of anything.

According to BetterBidding, the Las Olas-downtown-port zone is either Hilton Marina or Renaissance. The Fort Laud beach zone can be any of 5 different hotels.http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=67&

Click here and compare the amenities to narrow it down.

The hotel listed with the childrens activities I am told is the Westin. Is that the hotel you mentioned earlier, the W? Is that the hotel that has the walkway to the beach and an infinity pool? Thanks so much. :)

The hotel listed with the childrens activities I am told is the Westin. Is that the hotel you mentioned earlier, the W? Is that the hotel that has the walkway to the beach and an infinity pool? Thanks so much. :)

The W and Westin are 2 different hotels. If you look at the better bidding link under ft laud beach you will see that they are both listed as 4 star hotels. It is the Westin that has the walkway and childrens activities. I haven't been to the pool there.

The W and Westin are 2 different hotels. If you look at the better bidding link under ft laud beach you will see that they are both listed as 4 star hotels. It is the Westin that has the walkway and childrens activities. I haven't been to the pool there.

Oh, I see. The W looks wonderful. Is there any special tip that gives that away on Hotwire? Thanks

Edited by janetz

Oh, I see. The W looks wonderful. Is there any special tip that gives that away on Hotwire? Thanks

There aren't any special tips for the W on hotwire, as the W amenities are pretty generic, and hotwire keeps changing the amenity lists on the 4 star hotels in this category. W and Westin are both Starwood hotels. All of the hotels are good in this category but a few have cons:

Il Lugano-2 blocks from beach, $35 cab ride from airport (newest and nice neighborhood though). Sometimes says "kitchen or kitchenette".

B Ocean-$25 cab ride from airport, a long walk to the main beach shops and restaurants, safe but lots of tattoo parlors around (close to Galleria Mall though).

Hyatt Pier 66--too far to walk to beach, hotwire usually buys rooms only in the small buildings (but this is the nicest resort property and closest to port and airport). Sometimes says "golf".

Edited by royalcruz

Is Ft L. Beach near the cruise ship port? If not what section would be closest?

Thanks!:D

Fort Lauderdale beach is about 8 miles long and starts at the port. If you are using hotwire or priceline, downtown hotels are all close to the port (the furthest is Riverside Hotel at 3-4 miles away and the others are all one mile away).

got Renaissance when I bought it from hotwire.

4 star in Las Olas

Edited by Tin

There aren't any special tips for the W on hotwire, as the W amenities are pretty generic, and hotwire keeps changing the amenity lists on the 4 star hotels in this category. W and Westin are both Starwood hotels. All of the hotels are good in this category but a few have cons:

Il Lugano-2 blocks from beach, $35 cab ride from airport (newest and nice neighborhood though). Sometimes says "kitchen or kitchenette".

B Ocean-$25 cab ride from airport, a long walk to the main beach shops and restaurants, safe but lots of tattoo parlors around (close to Galleria Mall though).

Hyatt Pier 66--too far to walk to beach, hotwire usually buys rooms only in the small buildings (but this is the nicest resort property and closest to port and airport). Sometimes says "golf".

Thanks. You are a wealth of information. :D

Royalcruz-

Quick question for you...

I ending up booking the Hilton Beach Resort b/c it seemed to match all of the requirements I was looking for- price, close to the beach, food available, decent looking rooms

However I have noticed you haven't mentioned it when people ask for a hotel near the beach? Did I make a mistake booking it? It looks decent in the pictures, just don't want to be disappointed when we get there.

Thanks so much for any input. You are so helpful.

Royalcruz-

Quick question for you...

I ending up booking the Hilton Beach Resort b/c it seemed to match all of the requirements I was looking for- price, close to the beach, food available, decent looking rooms

However I have noticed you haven't mentioned it when people ask for a hotel near the beach? Did I make a mistake booking it? It looks decent in the pictures, just don't want to be disappointed when we get there.

Thanks so much for any input. You are so helpful.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Hilton beach. I've only been on the lobby though, as you needed a key to get in the elevator when I was there last. So as a local I can say that it looks very modern but it doesn't attract local people to use the restaurant or bar. It is only a few years old and the location is good. It is about a 20 minute stroll to Beach Place from there.

Edited by royalcruz