Crossing the pond (seasickness)

Petrochelli

Hi,

Crossing the pond next week on the Aurora and its odds on that there will be bad weather somewhere along the way either going or coming back.

I once had bad seasickness in the Bay of Biscay and was cured with a injection from the ships doctor and I would like to know what the jag consists off and can you get it in tablet form over the counter.

Cheers Petrochelli.:confused::confused:

Hi there - no you can't get that over the counter. We take fresh crystalised ginger with us. I start eating a little when we drive down to the ship and then have a piece in the evenings. So far it has worked for me.

If you don't trust that, or don't like it, get some Avomine from the pharmacy.

Hi there - no you can't get that over the counter. We take fresh crystalised ginger with us. I start eating a little when we drive down to the ship and then have a piece in the evenings. So far it has worked for me.

If you don't trust that, or don't like it, get some Avomine from the pharmacy.

We did a Transatlantic on Ventura last year and it was fine except for one night out of Tenerife where there was a bit of a swell!! I take Stugeron as a precaution if there is any bad weather forecast and have never been ill in 14 cruises!!

Keep as low down in the ship as you can and go to the Dining Room for meals rather than the buffet which tends to be higher up the ship!

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll definitely give the ginger a try and may even pack some Stugeron if I can get a hold of some! All being well weather wise I won't need to make use of either :) :).

Cheers

Petrochelli

Definately pack some Stugeron - I tried it for the first time in April when we had a rough crossing in the bay. I was really ill - every time I stood up I was throwing up. I took some stugeron and within an hour I was up and about feeling completely fine and able to function as normal. Something I've never been able to do before.

Now i would never travel without them

Sue

The injection is usually promethazine, known as phenergan. It's available from most pharmacies in tablet form, and also as a rather nice tasting liquid.

It has the same side effect as the injection, in that it can make some people very drowsy. Which in a force 10 gale with a 25 foot swell, isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Personally, I usually take meclizine hydrochloride, which is known in the US as Bonine and in the UK as Sea-Legs. I find it 95% effective, with no side effects. Only if the sea is really rough I do resort to phenergan which with me is 100% effective.

VP

I also swear by phenergan, which the ship's doctor told me is what is used in tablet form. I prefer the liquid which is easily available from most chemist's shops and costs approx £3.00 . As previous poster mentions. it can make you very sleepy but does the trick. Having a nap in rough weather isn't necessarily a bad thing either!! Always take a small bottle of it with me in case it is needed.

BTW we have never had a rough crossing of the Bay yet, in approx 25 cruises!!

Archived