mid may trip: is this two early?

hamnerpac

I know this has been asked before, but still trying to decide. I missed our trip last week to Alaska as I was in the hospital! So bummed, but have rebooked for May 28 of 2010: now because of work needing to reschedule to May 14th......is this going to be too early? Too cold?. In mid May will all the shops and excursions be availabe? Are you less likely to see wildlife. Any help would be appreciated as we could theoretically push it back to August, but hate to wait that long!!!

Thanks, Tosha

We have done the Alaska cruise both in August and May, and we saw more wild life and the snow on the mountain tops make for beautiful pictures. Don't worry about it being too cold, just wear layers of clothing and you'll be fine.

I was in Alaska May 10-24 of this year with my mom and we had great weather and sunshine all but one day. Wore layers and was fine-more in AM, less as the day went on.

Went back with hubby July 23-Aug 6th and it was usually in the fifties, often very foggy with a few miserable wet windy days. For the first week you often could not see the mountains as the fog was so low. Second week the weather was better but there was so much haze from forest fires in Canada that visibility was still not great.

There are never any guarantees on Alaska weather but in general May is a dryer month.

As mentioned, there are never guarantees with the weather (anytime during the season) but I think going in mid May is a great time. A little less crowded than during the summer months when schools are out all over the country.

Keith

On average, between your two dates, later May is better. BUT, are you asking this question, because you still have the opportunity to go the last week of May, OR are you looking for posts that are going to make you feel better for the earlier booking???

This early date is a poor choice if you are doing interior Alaska and Denali Park.

There is no way to predict any weather in Alaska. I won't consider anything before mid May, and I am a jaded Alaska visitor that can "afford" a lot of compromises due to traveling there many many times.

Archived