Labor Day Dress Code - Revised?

bobby1119

Does anyone have any reliable information about any revisions in the dress code for the Labor Day cruise to Canada?

Specifically, the call at Saint John has been changed from a 6pm sailing, with a formal evening indicated in the documents, to an 11:30pm sailing, which should be casual elegant.

I cannot imagine a formal night or even a semi-formal night with an 11:30pm sailing, but Cunard never ceases to surprise and confound me.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bobby

hi

where did you find out that the tiem was changed for the sailing?

i did not get that info

thank you for your post.

that would make no sense to have a formal night when we are in port till

11:30 p.m, i hope wwe can get clarification prior to sailing

DANA

hi

where did you find out that the tiem was changed for the sailing?

i did not get that info

thank you for your post.

that would make no sense to have a formal night when we are in port till

11:30 p.m, i hope wwe can get clarification prior to sailing

DANA

An emergency notice went out from Cunard to TAs a number of weeks ago. Yours should have sent it to you. Also, in case you have not heard, departure from NY on 4-Sept has been moved to 5:00pm (from the prior 6:00pm).

Doubtful we shall hear anything until the day of regarding attire for Sunday 6-Sept. I for one, after a full day ashore, intend to dress in black tie for dinner and enjoy a champagne toast at the "Midnight" sailaway party! Regardless of what they change it to onboard. I don't mind looking the same two nights in a row in a tux, but I am NOT bringing another elegant casual outfit.

hi all

i just got off the phone with cunard and they sate 2 formal nights even that we do not leave

st johns till 11:30 p.m.

Shipboard staff will make the call. Please don't let it tarnish your voyage either way. I would imagine the sidewalks fold up at 5:00pm of a Sunday anyways! So, the ship is our destination for the evening and I intend to dress in black tie.

Doubtful we shall hear anything until the day of regarding attire for Sunday 6-Sept. I for one, after a full day ashore, intend to dress in black tie for dinner and enjoy a champagne toast at the "Midnight" sailaway party! Regardless of what they change it to onboard. I don't mind looking the same two nights in a row in a tux, but I am NOT bringing another elegant casual outfit.

Shipboard staff will make the call. Please don't let it tarnish your voyage either way. I would imagine the sidewalks fold up at 5:00pm of a Sunday anyways! So, the ship is our destination for the evening and I intend to dress in black tie.

I am with you (on both posts)... one less outfit to plan other than a change of bow tie! :D

The possibility of getting them mixed up. Unless...unless...unless, one of them is self tie and one is (Oh dear God the horror of it) pre-tied.

Gari

Quite right, Gari. I will admit to keeping well-hidden, a pre-tied bow tie, just in case the fingers forget at the last minute the proper manner to self-tie. Yes, I know, it's just like tying one's shoelace, but it is awfully difficult sometimes to get one's neck down by one's foot at my advancing age.;)

The possibility of getting them mixed up. Unless...unless...unless, one of them is self tie and one is (Oh dear God the horror of it) pre-tied.

Gari

Pre-tied... moi... ? :eek:

I can mark the two black ties #1 and #2.

Well, no problem there. However, I suspected you might be bringing (oh, I can hardly get the words out!) a colored bow tie. That might launch this thread into a whole new realm of controversy.

Well, then, perhaps I will! One for Black and White and the other formal night. ;)

Gari

Give us a flaming break will you Gazza. I have it on the very best authority that your only bow tie is one of those multi-coloured, clip-on jobs that spins round, lights up, squirts water at people, and plays Knees Up Mother Brown. :eek:

J

Give us a flaming break will you Gazza. I have it on the very best authority that your only bow tie is one of those multi-coloured, clip-on jobs that spins round, lights up, squirts water at people, and plays Knees Up Mother Brown. :eek:

J

Boy, you bin readin' ma mail.

G.

This perennial question could be easily answered if Cunard would include in their brochures an illustration of formal; informal and elegant casual outfits for men.

These illustration to be accompanied by an announcement somewhat along the lines of:-

GENTLEMEN.

These are the only acceptable forms of dress on the designated evenings.

They MUST be worn in all PUBLIC AREAS of the vessel between the hours of 6pm and 3am.

NO VARIATIONS.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

NO EXCUSES.

-o-o-o-

LADIES

You may wear what the hell you like with the exception of Jeans, shorts, cutoffs and beachwear.

If you do not understand this simple rule

If you are not prepared to conform to this simple rule.

If you are going to whinge about this simple rule

THEN BUGGER OFF AND SAIL WITH SOMBODY ELSE!

That would save a lot of heartsearching and worry and everyone would know where they stood on the dress question.

As the Meercat says, 'Shimple, No?'

A Helpful Gari

Well, that's very encouraging news that the World Club says we're definitely having the second formal night. How cool will that be to strut around in our finery amid the twinkling lights of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Jonathan

On Thursday the 27th, I was speaking with a reservations agent about another matter and decided to see what answer I could get about the question of Sunday the 6th. He put me on hold and was away for some time. Indicated that he had spoken with shoreside staff in "onboard services." The word was that no official change had been made - it was still listed as formal. However, both he and the party to whom he spoke both strongly suspected that the ship's staff would have a tough time resisting the temptation to make it elegant casual. Either way, for us, tuxes it shall be and to heck with those who may point and s******!

Michael

On Thursday the 27th, I was speaking with a reservations agent about another matter and decided to see what answer I could get about the question of Sunday the 6th. He put me on hold and was away for some time. Indicated that he had spoken with shoreside staff in "onboard services." The word was that no official change had been made - it was still listed as formal. However, both he and the party to whom he spoke both strongly suspected that the ship's staff would have a tough time resisting the temptation to make it elegant casual. Either way, for us, tuxes it shall be and to heck with those who may point and s******!

Michael

Michael,

I agree with your post that Sain John, NB closes up early and it's probably not that hopping of spot on a Sunday night. The trip is all about the QM2. I don't understand how anyone would choose to stay ashore that late and miss cavorting around on this elegant ocean liner. Though I would like to step off the ship briefly that night just to admire QM2 glowing with light like a floating candelabra. ;)

Jonathan

Archived