Who Else Has Mixed Feelings About Oasis?

temple1

Are you conflicted about Oasis?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. Are you conflicted about Oasis?

• Not at all, can't wait to be the first to board!
    • Yes, I can't decide if I love it or hate it.
    • Not at all, I will never set foot on the floating amusement park!
    • Not sure, I don't think I'm conflicted, but I don't think I care.

I think this is the correct place to ask. I think if I were to post it on the All Things Oasis - I might be flamed for a heretic. :eek:

When first announced I was not terribly interested then back during the winter I got kind of excited about the ship. However, I saw some of the early photos and write ups about the ship and I was back in the - not my cup of tea group. Now that it is nearing completion I found myself looking to see when she would arrive in the US, so we can view it and checking rates for a cruise in 2011.

So, I'm conflicted. Who else? :confused:

I know the ship has fantastic facilities and attractions. But I don't think I would fancy it - 5,000 people in the one place is a bit too much for me.

The idea of building these huge ships seems, from the blurbs, to make them a resort or small town - a land rather than at sea adventure. Shopping malls, green parks etc.... Personally I would go on a cruise because it is at sea. I enjoy the cruising side the "at sea" feel. If I want huge shopping malls or green parks etc.. I can find them at home any time.

I enjoy all types of cruises and ships...big, little, exotic, standard....it's all fun. I never understood why some people pre-judge a ship, simply because it's large, or has a lot of things to do on board. So what? If you don't enjoy surfing, or ice skating, then simply don't go surfing or ice skating....simply having these on board shouldn't lessen your experience.

I think this is the correct place to ask. I think if I were to post it on the All Things Oasis - I might be flamed for a heretic. :eek:

When first announced I was not terribly interested then back during the winter I got kind of excited about the ship. However, I saw some of the early photos and write ups about the ship and I was back in the - not my cup of tea group. Now that it is nearing completion I found myself looking to see when she would arrive in the US, so we can view it and checking rates for a cruise in 2011.

So, I'm conflicted. Who else? :confused:

Since I love cruising and enjoy experienceing new ships I'm looking forward to sailing on Oasis for the first time. I'll reserve my opinions about the ship until after the cruise. BTW, I'm also looking forward to cruising on Epic for the same reason. It's more curiosity than anything. We've enjoyed all our cruises regardless of the size of the ship.

I would love to see the pictures once it's finishes, but doubt I'll ever cruise on it.

To me, a cruise ship is a floating hotel room and restaurant. I will use the pool a bit, and that's about it.

I am not someone who climbs rock walls, I don't skate, I don't surf, I don't gamble, ... So, I also don't want to pay for all these features I won't use, kwim?

It's like paying for Club Med with all the sports included in the price, when you only want to lay by the pool and read a book.

Of course, if someone feels the need to gift me a trip on it, I will go! But I doubt I will pay for it myself.

My biggest concern is that the large ships don't ever dock at any interesting ports. Even the "At Sea" days are not really sailing, the ships are too big to even feel the roll.

I would miss the snorkeling and beach bars too much to cruise on Oasis.

My biggest concern is that the large ships don't ever dock at any interesting ports. Even the "At Sea" days are not really sailing, the ships are too big to even feel the roll.

I would miss the snorkeling and beach bars too much to cruise on Oasis.

On a ship like Oasis or Allure, I doubt we would even bother getting off the ship at the ports. They'll be so much to do and explore on board.

I'd love to go on Oasis, but pricing is currently out of me league. So, instead, I'm booked on the Epic for 9/2010! I love the idea of not only more sporting things to do (while I can still do them!), but on the Epic anyway, the nightlife. Between Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams dinner theater, the Ice Bar, the Irish Pub, the Comedy Troupe, the Jazz club, the outdoor adult pool area being transformed to an adults-only outdoor night club, the piano bar, etc., I don't expect to have a minute of boredom. Even the main dining room, which is included, has been transformed into a Manhattan-style sophisticated 2-level restaurant with live music and dancing.

With all these new styles these larger ships are creating, I'm very excited about seeing them! I'm not quite at the point of spending my day reading a book, having dinner and a drink, and going to bed!

One of my best cruises was on Empress. She was small, she was older, but she had a special charm and the trip was what we made of it and how much we enjoyed each other's company as a group.

My point... the ship isn't as important as the time away with friends/family and having a smile on your face.

NOW - Oasis, I'm excited. I'm booked for next September and can't wait. It will be different, for sure, but they all have their ups and downs and I want to experience them all (all the ships in the fleet).

Judy

I keep going back and forth. I loved Liberty, which is a huge ship, but I feel like there is SO MUCH on Oasis, maybe too much? I see the pictures and feel like I could be overwhelmed, or I could enjoy everything. We don't really do a lot of things on the ship, so all the shows and everything might be a waste for us. If/when the price goes down, we will probably try it out, but for now, we'll probably stay on the smaller ships.

I can understand how so many want the newest, largest, most modern. But I do hope this is not the permanent wave of the future, as bigger is not always better to many of us.

I can go shopping at home. If I want a vacation by the pool, there are many hotel resorts in the area where we live. We love to cruise to be on the ocean, to feel the ocean. Our experience on large ships has left us a bit unimpressed and we prefer a smaller ship. We've been on QM2 and Liberty of the Seas, I don't think we plan to return to either of them.

I do think the larger ships are great for families and large groups.

probably heresy, but I just think she's so . . . ugly! I really like to go to the ports and I love falling asleep and waking up in another place, so until they upgrade many of the smaller, more exotic ports, I will stick to the smaller ships. Plus, you can't beat the prices:)

I know the ship has fantastic facilities and attractions. But I don't think I would fancy it - 5,000 people in the one place is a bit too much for me.

The idea of building these huge ships seems, from the blurbs, to make them a resort or small town - a land rather than at sea adventure. Shopping malls, green parks etc.... Personally I would go on a cruise because it is at sea. I enjoy the cruising side the "at sea" feel. If I want huge shopping malls or green parks etc.. I can find them at home any time.

I totally agree with you on this! I may take a cruise on the Oasis, though, mainly because I'm curious about it.

Great posts, thanks everyone.

What I find most interesting is how evenly we seem to be divided on the topic.

If this is a true representation of the cruising public at large - perhaps RCCL will take it into consideration when making plans for future ships. That there are plenty of people who like the biggest and newest, but there are still quite a few smaller ships more ports fans.

Archived