Packing clothes in 2gal. zip locks?

SouthernGal58

Zip lock bags can get heavy as well., I use dry cleaner bags and they do seem to reduce the wrinkles. I just put my things in and roll them.

What? :D:D

heavy zip locks?

you are right, the dry cleaner bags are thinner and lighter, but what about sucking the air out to conserve packing space? perhaps not a reason why u use the bags? this is why i use the zips..to compress the air...

too funny though...

I like zip-locks for the convenience factor. When the kids were little, I packed their clothes in them by outfit - simplified getting dressed for them, and then in the evening the dirties went right back in to the bag until laundry time. I still use them to pack underwear, bathing suits, etc. On water excursions, I take a ziplock with the change of clthes and the wet bathing suit goes in the bag.

We use the zip lock bags also. For cruises, I pack 5 packs for each child containing 1 bathing suit and t-shirt. You can pick up bathing suits at the end of summer for very little money. The kids run around in bathing suits 90 percent of the time on a cruise. 3 pairs of shorts, mix and match clothes for dinner, undies and pjs = they're packed! Toward the end of the week, store the wet bathing suits in the bags. We also pack dryer sheets to curb dirty clothes smell.

I really envy all you "good packers", I'm afraid I'm one of those who can't seem to get the hang of rolling clothes so they won't wrinkle... :o. I sure wish I did because I can always use the extra space.

I have the most luck leaving our dinner clothes on the hangers, cover them with dry cleaner bags and fold them in half and lay them on the very top of the suitcase. When I'm ready to unpack I just grab the hangers, take the bags off and they are ready to go into the closet......haven't had to press anything yet.

Happy Sailing!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I really envy all you "good packers", I'm afraid I'm one of those who can't seem to get the hang of rolling clothes so they won't wrinkle... :o. I sure wish I did because I can always use the extra space.

I have the most luck leaving our dinner clothes on the hangers, cover them with dry cleaner bags and fold them in half and lay them on the very top of the suitcase. When I'm ready to unpack I just grab the hangers, take the bags off and they are ready to go into the closet......haven't had to press anything yet.

Happy Sailing!!!

and to me, that's the best way of packing....i'm an airline employee, and ex retail clothing employee-sales and management....so it's good to say i can pack! lol.

dh's suit and my formals go in to separate cleaner bags....left on hangers in my bag, folded over. the others are folded neatly and tightly into my suitcase or rolled. i choose my "travel" clothes carefully as i know linen does not travel well, so it never ever goes with me! silk is the same. stay away from that and you'll be okay....synthetics are your best, or cotton/poly blends. if you just choose the correct clothes to travel with to begine with, you won't have to worry about using so many plastic bags....but i do travel with a couple of zip lock bags for wet suits on the way home. and bounce sheet or two always travels with us too.

Sorry, don't know how to use all the fancy tools on this board, but someone wrote "downy wrinkle releaser works great"

so what does that mean, exactly. Is it something you spray on your clothes after you unpack?

Sorry, don't know how to use all the fancy tools on this board, but someone wrote "downy wrinkle releaser works great"

so what does that mean, exactly. Is it something you spray on your clothes after you unpack?

Yes, it is a spray. I picked up a small bottle at Walmart for my upcoming cruise.

Archived