2 gal. zip lock bags

Hi everyone, I have a question. Have any of you ever heard of packing clothes in 2 gal. zip lock bags? A friend of mine said that she read somewhere that it helps to control wrinkles and takes up less room (that part makes sense). Anyway, Im just wondering if there is some special way you are suppose to fold the clothing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Too funny. I just bought two boxes of these this morning as I was out. I take my dressier outfits on hangers, in dry cleaning bags, and use these bags for all the other stuff, folded inside. It not only gets your clothes there unwrinkled, but keeps the airline inspectors' hands off your dainties! ewwwww

I have been using them for several years now. Also picked up the tip on CC. Before that I would use old plastic bags from shopping. Makes it very easy to pull out "stuff" from your packed luggage and shift from one piece of luggage to another if one is over at the air port. Helps with the wrinkles and keeping clothes clean should your luggage get inspected. I just keep re using them and will get several cruises out of them.

yes, i love to use them. i put my panties and bra's in 2 different bags. i lay them flat inside the bag and squeeze the air out. it lays flat and takes up less room in the bag. then i put my worn undies in the bag and zip it shut. i have a instant laundry bag without any ordor or mess. i can only find them at target. but they are worth the trip.

I've not used them for my clothes with the exception of things I don't care that get wrinkled, like pajamas, bathing suits underwear.

The stuff I want to stay nice and pressed I hang in dry cleaner bags and pack into a garment bag. I've never been too good about trying to stuff clothing into a Ziploc and keeping it smooth, perhaps kids clothes would work fine for that.

The 2 and a half gallon Ziploc bags are great for other things as well, smelly laundry, damp bathing suits so your luggage doesn't take on that odor and any toiletry kits packed into a checked bag.

I used them for the 1st time when going to NYC. I love them. I rolled my clothes up and slipped them in there. I also used them for toiletries in case something spilled. I actually went to the store to buy smaller ones, but they were all out, so I used them instead...def going to stick w/them. Rolling clothes and putting them in suitcase is good, but this way you can let the air out, and, like someone else mentioned, it's good if you need to move stuff around or get to other things quickly (more organized) w/o having to unravel everything.

When the kids were still at home, I used the for their outfits when traveling, I'd pack each bag with shorts, shirt, underwear and socks for the day.. Made the day's dressign very easy for them. Then at night the dirty outfit went right back into the bag to take home to wash.

:) Rolling your clothes, especially knits, takes alot less space and you can pack more efficiently. I tuck underwear inside shoes and in the corners of

the suitcases. I also lay my formal clothes across the suitcase in the plastic bags --- I have never had much to worry about - wrinkle wise. DH

wears knit shirts and could care less if he has a wrinkled pair of shorts on ! I have sent his formal shirts to the laundry to be pressed only as they are already clean when I pack them. Another trick we do --- we

take our oldest "undies" and discard them along the way ---- frees up some space for shopping. Don't laugh --- I didn't come up with the idea

on my own ---- read about it on CC ! ;);)

I have done the 2 gallon Zip lock bags and found that my long fingernails would tear the bag trying to zip it with no air. Now I am liking the newer zippered (pull type) tote bags (5 gal I believe) that I put in my polycarbonate suitcase (clam shell type) and lifting out all the clothes in a zippered storage tote is really easy.(5 complete days in one side same in the other) I also have some zippered plastic bags (bought at Target) that have lasted for years and are excellent for toiletries, underwear, medications, and in my tote bag an extra set of clothes all nice and neat.

I have never managed the rolling method. I can get more in the suitcase and the wrinkles are about the same BUT I always go overweight in that you have stuffed more things in. Weight is always my problem!!!:eek:

Google ziplock tote bags to see the new item. About $5.00.

:) Rolling your clothes, especially knits, takes alot less space and you can pack more efficiently. I tuck underwear inside shoes and in the corners of

the suitcases. I also lay my formal clothes across the suitcase in the plastic bags --- I have never had much to worry about - wrinkle wise. DH

wears knit shirts and could care less if he has a wrinkled pair of shorts on ! I have sent his formal shirts to the laundry to be pressed only as they are already clean when I pack them. Another trick we do --- we

take our oldest "undies" and discard them along the way ---- frees up some space for shopping. Don't laugh --- I didn't come up with the idea

on my own ---- read about it on CC ! ;);)

I read this on occasion and have to wonder just how large people underwear is that it takes up so much space :p I only take about half as much as I will be using and hand wash it, send my DH's to the laundry, it's not expensive. Combined, both our underwear probably takes up the space of one shirt.

Have been using these for years , only thing is... you need to be careful of the weight of your suitcase, because you can get so much more in your suitcase with these bags , that you tend to overpack and get heavier suitcase .

Cori

I don't get the idea of taking old undies at all. If they're old and/or have holes, they go in the trash at home. I view wearing old holey underwear almost like wearing dirty underwear - I don't! The last time VS has their huge panty sale of 10/$25 a few months ago, I bought 20 and kept them to replace others when the time comes.

Now, DH loves his with holes but I toss them as they come through the laundry.......

I do love using ziplocs for travel because it's so easy to separate things. Came in very handy when we were boarding a ship and it poured all day (luggage out in the open). Stuff in the suitcases stayed dry, but I can't say the same for our friends' stuff in their suitcases...

Another trick we do --- we

on my own ---- read about it on CC !

There's a thread somewhere (Carnival? HAL? or was it on this forum?) that someone did throw away their ratty underwear just to be thwarted by the Room Steward. He would see the underwear in the trash and take it out and fold it up for them:eek:!

We have traveled with travel Space Bags and their knockoffs for years.

I've been using these for some time now. First tried them when we did a motorcoach tour of the SW where we were in a different place each night. I just packed a complete outfit in each bag so I didn't have to worry about unpacking - just took the clean clothes out and put the soiled ones in. Made doing laundry a breeze when we got home. I now use them all the time when I have to travel.

No I haven't used those but have used the big space bags (and small ones). I got them in all sizes from qvc and you don't need a vacum..you just roll them. I can tell you that those worked great for my trip! :)

I normally wrap the dry cleaner bags around my folded clothes and it does help with the wrinkles.

I recycle the zip-locks. Some have been on 2-3 trips but I don't think I would recycle if dirty clothes in them.

I use a nylon duffel bag that zips itself into a small packet for a laundry bag. Bag zips across, has a side pocket for stain stick and detergent and strong web handles. It fits well on the closet floor so when laundry bag full it is 1. carried down to laundry room or 2. sent home as a piece of luggage. These were free bags from a tour with Brendan but I have seen these nylon bags in travel stores. Could not travel without them. Wet stuff in ziplock also goes in laundry bag as do shoes (clothes already dirty). Often stick this nylon duffle in hand luggage just in case I'm overweight -- can stuff shoes etc in and off to the plane.

I think if you are a regular at a dry cleaners, they will probably give you a few free, otherwise expect them to charge a bit.

We get ours from my BIL, who hardly ever does his own laundry. We just tell him a couple weeks in advance and he saves the bags and hangers for us, otherwise he recycles the hangers back to his cleaner. I do save ours and re-use them if they are in good condition, I don't tear open the top. I really like the hangers that have the sticky strip (pants) and the foam(whaddyacallit) top so that sleeveless things don't slide off.

I repack the exact way I pack to leave home. That way I know everything will fit just fine, for me cramming dirty clothes into a bag takes up more space. I don't overpack so everything is dirty, no worries about seperating from clean, although we do use the Ziplocs for wet or stinky things. We just unload the suitcases onto the living room floor when we get home and sort from there. I'm married to a person a bit OCD when it comes to laundry, he wants it done and put back in the closet within hours of returning home. He does most of it ;)

I recyle my ziplock bags so don't put dirty laundry in them. Dirty laundry goes into those plastic laundry bags that you get in hotels. I only use the ziplock bags for underwear, socks, first aid supplies, and makeup. I have trouble putting regular clothing in plastic. When I try, everything gets wrinkled on the way in.

I need to start lining my suitcases with plastic. On our last trip home, the airline left our suitcases out in the rain. Mine leaked around the zipper area. Fortunately nothing was ruined. I have since sprayed it with Scotchguard. My husband's Tumi did not leak.

I've been using them for yrs.

One reason not only can u pack more neatly, but if you're on a bus trip where u practically live out of the suit cases, you can see at a glance what you have that's clean. (Dirty clothes I place in non see thru bags.)

Also if something from someone elses luggage leaks (like liquor or shampoo) your stuff stays clean. I pack my shampoo, hair gels etc in separate bags. The suits and dresses are left in cleaner wrap and hardly ever wrinkle.

Archived