RCC - Kids at Chops and Portofino

I went to make a dinner reservation in advance and it had a minimum age of 13. My kids are 9 and 6. The website indicated if you have kids you couldn't make a reservation until you were on board and have to dine before 7 pm.

I don't have a problem dining before 7 and my kids definately know how to behave so as not to disturb other people trying to enjoy their meal. I'm sure everyone has a horror story involving kids in a nice restaurant, trust me I wouldn't even think about it if they weren't experienced foodies.

My concern is that if I wait to make a reservation after boarding can I get one?

What's been your experience with kids at the speciality restaurants?

Thanks

I have never seen kids but I certainly don't have a problem if they are well behaved and there during the proper time. Dining there can take the full two hours so book a table for the adults for the earliest time and then add the kids to your table first thing after you board?

I went to make a dinner reservation in advance and it had a minimum age of 13. My kids are 9 and 6. The website indicated if you have kids you couldn't make a reservation until you were on board and have to dine before 7 pm.

I don't have a problem dining before 7 and my kids definately know how to behave so as not to disturb other people trying to enjoy their meal. I'm sure everyone has a horror story involving kids in a nice restaurant, trust me I wouldn't even think about it if they weren't experienced foodies.

My concern is that if I wait to make a reservation after boarding can I get one?

What's been your experience with kids at the speciality restaurants?

Thanks

Sometimes it is easy to get a reservation; sometimes it is difficult. It depends on the particular cruise: timing, passenger demographic, etc.

Just go there right after you board. If it's a week-long cruise, you'll have seven opportunities to eat there. One of them will surely work out for you.

:)

We have done both. We have booked online for those 13 and over and then modified the booking onboard the first day to add our then 12 y.o. DD. We have also booked early right after boarding. Two weeks ago on the Liberty we had a 6:30 booking and went up 15 minutes early as DS was due at the Flowrider at 8:30. We were seated right away and were only the 2nd or 3rd occupied table in Chops. It didn't start to get busy until around 7:30 or so. Just remember to go right after boarding as they do hold 25 - 30% of the available bookings for onboard guest reservations.

I took my 13 and 11 year olds to Portofino's on Radiance last week. The 4 year old went to Adventure Ocean. Although I called and made a reservation on the second day for a couple of days later for 6 pm, they screwed up and it wasn't on their sheet when we arrived. - There was another family whose last name differed by one letter and whose cabin differed by one digit reserved for later in the evening - I think they thought I was them when I called or vice versa.

So, we arrived at 6 pm with no reservation. Not a problem, there was no one else in the restaurant! There wasn't anyone else for about half an hour. By the time we left at 7:20, there were maybe 3 other tables occupied.

With just the 3 of us, we didn't really get a lot out of the experience. I would wait until we had a larger group to go again.

We have been several times with my kids who are older 12, 15, 17. We have had no problem getting a reservation when we go to book first thing onboard. The earlier reservations seem to be less desirable.

Each time, we have not seen other children. It is a quiet atmosphere, and there are usually lots of couples. My kids liked the food very much but I would not book it more than once per cruise as they seem to prefer the activity of the MDR, even if the food is not as good.

I had dinner at Portifinos on AOS last year and a couple at a neatby table had a baby (looked like 8 or 9 months old) that screamed the entire time. For those of you that have older, well behaved children it is a different story, but for those of you with a very young child please eat somewhere else.

We were on the Freedom and made reservations for us two adults and when we boarded we added our 8 yr. old daughter. Easy as pie. The kids are allowed before 7p.m. as stated. The head chef came out and asked my daughter how everything was and was so nice speaking to her. The waiter and waitress were so attentive and really spoiled her especially with dessert. The kitchen even made up a combo plate taking various items from the menu for our daughters dinner. The staff went above and beyond and recommend kids have an experience in the fine dining so long as they act appropriatly. Wishing you and yours a wonderful cruise.:D

I had dinner at Portifinos on AOS last year and a couple at a neatby table had a baby (looked like 8 or 9 months old) that screamed the entire time. For those of you that have older, well behaved children it is a different story, but for those of you with a very young child please eat somewhere else.

See, that's what gives kids on a cruise a bad rap - it's not the kids, it's the ignorant "all about me" parents. Sorry, I would have asked the maitre d' to have it removed or refund my money.

There were two darling toddlers at the next table on one cruise who were generally very well behaved (although why the parents picked late seating was beyond me as the younger one was asleep in mom's lap within the hour) - on formal night, they were decked out in the cutest little tuxes, but the older one started acting up a few minutes after being seated. The dad promptly scooped him up, left and didn't return. Have to give him props for being considerate to his fellow diners.

I didn't have to worry about booking a specilty restaurant on my last trip, because the ship (Grandeur) didn't have one.

Next year, we will be on the Enchantment, which has the Chops Grill.

I know our 2 daughters will not appreciate the enhanced experiance, so I'm going to wait till we are onboard. Once I find out when the kid's program is hosting dinner for the kids, I will make a reservation that night for my wife and me.

Aloha,

John

I didn't have to worry about booking a specilty restaurant on my last trip, because the ship (Grandeur) didn't have one.

Next year, we will be on the Enchantment, which has the Chops Grill.

I know our 2 daughters will not appreciate the enhanced experiance, so I'm going to wait till we are onboard. Once I find out when the kid's program is hosting dinner for the kids, I will make a reservation that night for my wife and me.

Aloha,

John

Depending on their ages, you can also feed them early in the WJ and then send them off to the children's program and have 2 adult nights. :D

Archived