South America. NCL or Princess.

chabre

Hello, I am new on the boards but not on cruising.

On 2007 I did Alaska on the Serenade of the Seas. Then on 2008 I worked as a photographer for 6 months, one month on the Celebrity Summit in the caribean an the rest of the time on the Norwegian Jade in the Mediterranean. After that, though it was a great experience, I prefer to go as passenger than crew!

My parents want to do the South America early next year. And they are taking my brother and I!

The plan is going in February or March. There are this two options.

Norwegian Star. 14-Day Chilean Fjords & Strait of Magellan Santiago to Buenos Aires. March 14.

AND

Star Princess. 12-Day Cape Horn & Straight of Magellan - Buenos Aires to Santiago.

Any PROS and CONS about this two trips? (cabins, ship, itinerary)

We are going on two cabins, oceanview for me and my brother (26 & 29 y.o.) and one with balcony for my parents.

Thank you very much.

I forgot, NCL is cheaper like $300usd than Princess.

Princess is 12days and NCL 14 days.

Tha ports that NCL goes and Princess dont are Puerto Madryn and Puerto Chacabuco. All the others are the same for both.

For the extra two ports I am leaning to NCL. But your opinions will be very important for the final decission.

Thanks again.

Not that it should make much difference in your decision making, but it is NCL SUN not STAR. Personally, I like Sun better but both are nice ships. I will be getting on in Buneos Aires as you are getting off. For what its worth, I got an email from some TA today with a HAL offer that was just about the same price as our NCL deal...which was a great one, we booked last January during the book one, get one 1/2price sale.

Not that it should make much difference in your decision making, but it is NCL SUN not STAR. Personally, I like Sun better but both are nice ships. I will be getting on in Buneos Aires as you are getting off. For what its worth, I got an email from some TA today with a HAL offer that was just about the same price as our NCL deal...which was a great one, we booked last January during the book one, get one 1/2price sale.

My bad, I scrambled the names of the ships, It is the Norwegian Sun and the Star Princess.

It is good that someone of cruise critic prefered the NCL from the Princess, another vote for NCL! Thank you Clay.

You went on the Jade on apr/may? Egypt and Greek Islands? I was working on the Jade at that time. Some photos during my contract on the Jade.

Greetings from Mexico.

Greetngs from North Carolina

Yes, Mike, my DDP and I along with our friends Larry and Doug from Chicago were on the first Athens to Istanbul sailing after the drydock. We had a great time. We had a great time, though I must admit, I am lookign forward to the SA cruise because it has so many more sea days....the number of ports on that trip made us want to take a vacation after we returned from our vacation. Your pictures of Istanbul are incredible - I particularly LOVE the pictures of the little bowls presumably from the Grand Bazzar

We were on Sun in 2005 and really like her. We were lucky and snagged an aft facing balcony for the SA trip so we are really excited, though it is still a long way off. You should do the Sun but do it on the March 28th sailing with us, that way we would be assured of having some good pictures!

I am glad that you like my photos, those of the bowls were on the Grand Bazar.

It would be nice to be in the same cruise, but my father can not go in those dates because of his job... And also the prices are like $400 more in the 28th sailing that those on the 14th, strange...

I looked for the aft balcony, but they are only on GTY... so I think I will choose one balcony midship on port side instead.

I saw that you want to take the rafting on the Petrohue, me too! What other shorex are you doing?

Currently we are planning a winery visit in Montevideo, still working on the rest. Check out the Star Roll call called "MAR 29" its from last year but has lots of good info on it about guides and stuff. Be prepared though, its a long read, somethign like 28 pages.

We did the Norweigan Cruise Line Sun last December for 14 days and that was by far our best cruise. We had our first balcony, aft balcony, port side and really enjoyed it. NCL for us was $1000 per person for the balcony so we really got a great deal for 14 days. We spent alot on excursions through the ship but was like to feel safe when in really foreign countries like South America so went with the ship's excursions. We saw the penguins in 2 different ports and had also signed up for another because wanted to make sure that we saw the penguins in case we didn't make the Falkland Islands. My thinking is if you are going that far and spending that much on air fare go for the 14 days and see everything.

Good luck with yur decision.:p

• 3 weeks later...

Archived