Cooler and carryon drinks

fwsportsnut

In reading the Carnival website I can find where coolers are limited to 12x12x12 but I have heard most people talking about soft side carryon coolers. Are they required or can a hard one be carried on as long as within 12x12x12?

Also, the website says you can bring on a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. What do they consider small? 12 pack? case? Will I be able to carry on a case (24) of water or do they actually check? Planning for 4 adults for a full week.

In reading the Carnival website I can find where coolers are limited to 12x12x12 but I have heard most people talking about soft side carryon coolers. Are they required or can a hard one be carried on as long as within 12x12x12?

Also, the website says you can bring on a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. What do they consider small? 12 pack? case? Will I be able to carry on a case (24) of water or do they actually check? Planning for 4 adults for a full week.

It can be a hardside.

Just put your soft drinks in a suitcase and check it in. NO problem.

I carry a soft sided cooler folded in my bag. It's about 14X16. Even with a plastic bag in it it leaks sometimes. I keep it in the shower and the stewards always keep it full of ice for me (and I don't even have to bribe them upfront :D).Usually bring a bottle of rum and 6 pack of coke zero. Just for those emergency times when every bar on board is closed.;)

We packed the following in one piece of luggage:

12 pack of Pepsi

12 pack of Sierra Mist

12 pack of Diet Mt. Dew

12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper

24 bottles of water

2 bottles of wine

bottle of vodka

bottle of rum

2 bottles of bloody mary mix

All of it made it to the room without problems. Have fun!!!!!!!

we take 12 pepsi, and about 6 water on the cruise with us. however, we put get the bottles as opposed to cans, and pack them in a seperate hard sided suitcase and check with luggage. This year, we are freezing some bottles and also taking some 700 ml bottles frozen. we hae a soft sided cooler that I am going to see if the room steward will keep filled with ice for us that i am taking also, but it will be in the suitcase with th sodas in it.

I am fussy about water, and only drink Pepsi most of the time.

We put cans in one of our suitcases once, and one busted. lucky it was on the trip home hat it got busted, not on the trip to the ship. that would have sucked having to wash all our clothes the first day of the cruise.

our last cruise we took....

12pk can diet hawaiian punch

12 pk bottle coke zero

2- 12 pk waters

1/2gal malibu

bottle kettle one

6pk cranberry juice & 6pk oj

placed one in each suitcase to even out the weight. kept it in bottom of closet restocking soft sided cooler every night. left what was left at end of cruise for room stewart to share with his friends :)

~S

They do not define what is a small quantity or what is excessive. It's a judgement call. More than you can drink is probably excessive.

We'll probably take a case of diet coke - that's 3 a day for DW on an 8-day cruise.

You don't need to take a lot of bottled water - the water on the ship is very good. Fill up your sports bottles at the dispenser on the Lido deck where you get ice. It's environmentally friendly :D!

About the cooler, I don' think it matters whether it is soft or hard-sided. They just don't want people carrying huge coolers of iced-down beer on board, like they were going to a race track or something.

We sailed on inspiration and brought a case of diet coke, 12 pack of sprite and 12 pack of gatorade. We packed it in a softside cool pack from costo (velcro fastened lid) and slapped a cabin luggage tag on it. It was delivered to our cabin - no muss, no fuss.

12 pack of Pepsi

12 pack of Sierra Mist

12 pack of Diet Mt. Dew

24 bottles of water

2 bottles of wine

bottle of vodka

bottle of rum

Id feel like I was on a camping trip with all that. wow.

Too much trouble for me. I think Carnival site shows a limit of 50 lbs per bag, but its true they dont weigh them. Tip well!!!

I usually bring a 12 pack per person of soda & carry it on. I bring some bottled waters and a big 2 gallon jug dispenser of my bottled water with me. I just prefer my own water over the ships water although I have drank the water on the ship if I run out. The lady at the x-ray closely inspected each bottle of water. Seriously. She shook each one to see if they fizzed & if the seal was broken. I guess they are catching on to the fact that people put clear alcohol in water bottled.:rolleyes:

I do have a soft sided cooler with a plastic insert that is 12x12x14 so slightly oversized but they have let it thru each time. The lady that inspected the water bottles looked at her supervisor to acknowledge that it was okay but let it thru. This was in San Diego. I slip a little extra money to my cabin steward and he keeps it filled with ice everyday for me.

12 pack of Pepsi

12 pack of Sierra Mist

12 pack of Diet Mt. Dew

24 bottles of water

2 bottles of wine

bottle of vodka

bottle of rum

:eek: Oh my gosh, you have me laughing so hard, I can't believe the porter didn't have a problem with lifting this!! :eek: :D I guess you were stocked for the week, LOL!

12 pack of Pepsi

12 pack of Sierra Mist

12 pack of Diet Mt. Dew

24 bottles of water

2 bottles of wine

bottle of vodka

bottle of rum

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be insulting. But I'm flabbergasted to read that people carry on all these drinks!

I have a question for you - did the airline charge you for your luggage? Many are now adding $15 - $25 per bag, so are you saying you would, after paying for all that soda and stuff, pay an extra fee to lug those with you? And did you actually drink all of what you brought?

I guess it's a personal decision, but I can easily go without soda for a week, and I've never had a problem with drinking the water on a cruise ship. I actually prefer to fill my own reusable bottle.

I would love to know the answers to what I asked, I'm honestly curious. Thank you.

Sharon H.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be insulting. But I'm flabbergasted to read that people carry on all these drinks!

I have a question for you - did the airline charge you for your luggage? Many are now adding $15 - $25 per bag, so are you saying you would, after paying for all that soda and stuff, pay an extra fee to lug those with you? And did you actually drink all of what you brought?

I guess it's a personal decision, but I can easily go without soda for a week, and I've never had a problem with drinking the water on a cruise ship. I actually prefer to fill my own reusable bottle.

I would love to know the answers to what I asked, I'm honestly curious. Thank you.

Sharon H.

I would imagine that most people bring an empty softsided insulated cooler that can be folded and transported in their luggage. Once they arrive in the port city that they will be departing from, they make haste to learn where the local supermarkets and liquor stores are, and stock up before boarding the ship. I live in South Florida and have answered several posts from members asking where the closest liquor store to their hotel is. I was happy to help.

Here is a cut and paste directly from the FAQ page on CCL

faq.gifspacer.gifDo you have luggage restrictions?spacer.gifGuests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

LARGE COOLERS RESTRICTION:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its vessels. Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process and therefore large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

This lets you know what you were asking.

Archived