Whittier overnight?

LindaKE

If we wanted to travel to Whittier the day before embarkation, would there be accomodations, restaurants, and activities to make it worth the stop? Would there be a taxi or some form of transportation to get from the train to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship with luggage?, What about transportation without luggage to get to whatever attractions Whittier has to offer? For some reason DH absolutely refuses to drive in Alaska so renting a car is out. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Linda,

I got off the ship for about an hour in Whittier. I was on a B2B this summer with our turn around day in Whittier. I was scheduled to go on the 26 glacier boat ride (http://www.26glaciers.com/) but ended up being too tired so I decided to just sleep that day. In the afternoon I ventured out and walked up and back the main dirt road.

I personally would not stay there - there is very little to the town. I didn't find any places that I even wanted to walk into when walking up the street and back. When I returned, I saw that there was a shuttle to take you to "the other side of town" so I asked the shuttle driver where it took me and he said "right where you just walked". So I don't think I missed anything. There was a cool eagle's nest with lots of baby eagles (I know they have a real name, sorry) that was worth seeing.

I would stay in Anchorage and then take a ship transfer to Whittier. As far as things to do there - Princess offered several excursions there for those of us on B2Bs and people seemed to enjoy them and the 26 glacier cruise which takes you up close and personal to College Fiords is highly rated but you are going to see College Fiords on the ship (though I hear it is a different experience in a small boat).

Just my opinion.

I agree too, if this is your first trip to Alaska- then spend time elsewhere. I wouldn't book cruise transportation but instead the regular run of the Alaska RR leaving at 10am. Too bad you won't consider a rental car- EXTREMELY easy driving and it is the utmost in freedom for touring. Way too many people have a false idea of what the driving is like??

Archived