Saint John and Halifax - What to do with Teenagers?

We are looking at doing the July 17, 2010 Carnival Glory from New York to Saint John and Halifax. What activities/excursion would you recommend for a family of four with DS(16) and DD(13)? We've only done Carribean and Mexican Cruises so this will be a new experience for us.

We are looking at doing the July 17, 2010 Carnival Glory from New York to Saint John and Halifax. What activities/excursion would you recommend for a family of four with DS(16) and DD(13)? We've only done Carribean and Mexican Cruises so this will be a new experience for us.

In Saint John teenagers would love the jet boat ride in Reversing Falls - http://www.jetboatrides.com/

Thanks for the info. We've done similar rides in St. Thomas and the Wisconsin Dells and the kids love it. Can you walk to this from where the ship docks or do you need to get transportation?

You can walk to it along harbour passage - 25-45 minutes depending on where you are docked and how fast you walk. The bus goes right by the entrance to the park where the jet boat leaves from, or taxis are available.

For Halifax, all ages seem to love Peggys Cove. If you are staying in Halifax, the Harbour Hopper Tour is a hoot. It is a Vietnam war era amphibian that goes into the water and onto the land. It is a fun tour in the harbour and the downtown area. The Titanic exhibit at the maritime Museum of the Atlantic may also interest them.

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/harbourhopper/

We were in Halifax on two cruises and St John on one, but we didn't take our kids.

I did think that if we had had them that the Jet boat ride at the reversing falls would have been the most interesting thing for teens. St Johns is kind of a sleepy little town and not a whole lot teens would be drawn to IMHO.

Halifax the Harbor Hopper sounded like something a teen would like. Halifax is a bustling port with much more activity and things to do on foot also. We toured the Citadel, which is a forte with Bagpipers and interesting historic commentary if you were wanting to add an educational spin to things. You can walk there, but being up hill I would suggest an inexpensive cab there and explore on foot on the way back. There is a hop on hop off bus tour that is double decker that stops at various points. We also did the historic pub tour, obviously not one for your family!

Teens might find of interest: miniature golf at Cherry Brook Zoo; kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing or paddle boats at Rockwood Park. Jet Boat ride or renting a bicycle to do some exploring on their own. Of course there's always shopping at the mall - Brunswick Square in downtown core and lots in the east part of the city.

Thanks for all the great info. DS(15) would probably be interested in the historical Titanic items at the museum. He likes to sit and watch National Georgraphic and Discovery Channel shows with me and we watched a couple on the Titanic that he seemed interested in. Does anyone know about any whale watching tours? I think this might interest DD(12). We did the Dolphin swim this year and she loved it. I think anything dealing with sea animals would interest her.

I decided to look into this cruise since DH wanted a cooler spot than the Carribbean to travel to since we can only go in July due to our schedules (we did the Carribbean this year and while I liked the warm weather it was too hot for him), we can drive to NY (12 hours not too bad), and DS has always had a interest with Canada (I have no idea why). I'm sure if we decide to go this route we will all have a great time.

Thanks for all the great info. DS(15) would probably be interested in the historical Titanic items at the museum. He likes to sit and watch National Georgraphic and Discovery Channel shows with me and we watched a couple on the Titanic that he seemed interested in. Does anyone know about any whale watching tours? I think this might interest DD(12). We did the Dolphin swim this year and she loved it. I think anything dealing with sea animals would interest her.

I decided to look into this cruise since DH wanted a cooler spot than the Carribbean to travel to since we can only go in July due to our schedules (we did the Carribbean this year and while I liked the warm weather it was too hot for him), we can drive to NY (12 hours not too bad), and DS has always had a interest with Canada (I have no idea why). I'm sure if we decide to go this route we will all have a great time.

Not sure exactly what your itinerary is, but we did a whale watching tour in Bar Harbor that was awesome. My 14 year old daughter loved it. We saw 5 humpback whales, plus numerous harbor seals and dolphins.

Archived