Transfers from Southampton to Heathrow

LongTimeTvlr

I was about to book the 12/09/09 Queen Victoria cruise to Nothern Europe, when Cunard told me they couldn't quarantee their transfer service could get me to Heathrow in time for a 1:05 PM flight home to Dallas.

The ship docks at 6 AM, but I am told they don't know if the bus will fill up in time for them to leave and make a flight beforw 2 PM.

Does anyone have better alternatives?

I don't want to leave my fate to the whims of a group that can't find a way to get me from Southampton to Heathrow in less than the 5 hours or so we have from docking at 6 to getting to Heathrow by 11 to give a two hour window.

Thanks for any suggestions. Given we will be dragging all our cruise luggage with us, the simpler the arrangements the better.

In bound was no problem as I arrive at 7:40 AM and the Ship doesn't leave until 5 PM.

We just got off the QV on Sunday. Cunard had told us to be in the Queen's Room at 8:30 (all cabins are supposed to be vacated by then) to be called for the coach - they actually called for us over the speaker at 8am. Getting our bags was easy and all but two passengers were on by 8:30 so we had to wait until 9:30 for them to show up. They won't leave until everyone's onboard. As it was Sunday, it was only a quick hour's trip to Heathrow, arriving at 10:30. Our flight to Houston was at 1:30 and we had plenty of time.

We had also arrived early in London around the same time as you. The ship sails at 5pm but they typically let you board early (bags at 11am, checkin at 11:30 for our trip). It's nice to arrive early onboard and you can have lunch. Lots of passengers from the UK did that as well regardless of their scheduled board time. Warning: if you arrive too early, you have to wait outside with your bags and it was very chilly even in August. I would have preferred to have lingered at the airport rather than at the docks as there is no trolley for your bags and nothing else to do there.

Cunard does offer private car service..expensive thou I dont know about that 4 hour rule, should not matter as you can leave as soon as the ship docks and clears .I fly home the same day and just get the last non-stop to SFO around 2pm otherwise they will book you on a connecting flight.Are you trying to get on a nonstop to DFW?

My problem with the Cunard transfer is not in getting off the ship. According to them there is no way to tell at what time their bus will be full so they can leave for the airport. Judging from the fact that they have a "no earlier than 2 PM flight" rule, I suspect they have missed earlier flights a few times.

Just don't want to take the chance.

We just missed a sailiing on the Celebrity Solstice because our connecting flight to Rome suffered both a mechanical problem and then a long weather hold. Had to fly to Rome then to Athens then to Santorini to catch up. Don't want to go through that again for quite a while.

While I suspect that the majority of the time they make it, but they are unwilling to stand behind a commitment.

So that being said, I checked the rates for the Smithforairports service that Bettie and Capnpugwash recommended. Their posted rates are 51 pounds which converts to about $83 at today's rates. That is considerably cheaper than Cunard's transfer rates (for the two of us).

I sent in a request for a quote. If it comes back as expected I believe I will use them for both inbound and outbound connections.

Thanks again for your help.

Nothing works as well as advice from people who have done it before.

My problem with the Cunard transfer is not in getting off the ship. According to them there is no way to tell at what time their bus will be full so they can leave for the airport. Judging from the fact that they have a "no earlier than 2 PM flight" rule, I suspect they have missed earlier flights a few times.

Just don't want to take the chance.

We just missed a sailiing on the Celebrity Solstice because our connecting flight to Rome suffered both a mechanical problem and then a long weather hold. Had to fly to Rome then to Athens then to Santorini to catch up. Don't want to go through that again for quite a while.

While I suspect that the majority of the time they make it, but they are unwilling to stand behind a commitment.

So that being said, I checked the rates for the Smithforairports service that Bettie and Capnpugwash recommended. Their posted rates are 51 pounds which converts to about $83 at today's rates. That is considerably cheaper than Cunard's transfer rates (for the two of us).

I sent in a request for a quote. If it comes back as expected I believe I will use them for both inbound and outbound connections.

Thanks again for your help.

Nothing works as well as advice from people who have done it before.

We used them both incoming and outgoing last August and the service was impeccable and much more pleasant than being herded onto a bus. Have a safe and wonderful time on your voyage.:)

I just confimed with Smith for transport both to and from Southampton.

The total charge for the two of us will be $243 at today's conversion rates.

Cunard was asking $240 for the same service via a bus with no commitment to make our return flight.

We took a similar transfer with Celebrity last year when we sailed from Southampton and it was not pleasant.

This a a much better solution.

Thank you so much for your help Bettie and Capn.

By the way, I am not familiar with tipping customs in the UK. What would you suggest we do about tipping for this service? Is it customary to tip for private car service? How much?

We are considering this same issue for a QV sailing in 2011. Asked on anoather board and someone with more experience recommend not trying to make a flight before 2pm, because some time the ship arrives late due to FOG. Since I live in San Francisco Bay Area, I kow FOG is unpredictable.

We plan to stay overnight and catch am flight the next day as one alternative either from England, or from France if we get off in Lahave.

We have stayed at a Marriott at Healthrow in the past and at the Hilton in Paris, for early morning flights. Makes for a very easy relaxing way to start a long flight all the way to the west coast.

Good thoughts Pris993.

Given we are returning on a Saturday and we now have a private car, I feel comfortable we should make the 1:05 flight.

We have occaisionally stayed over night as you suggest and it does reduce the stress level.

In this case that will be our back up plan if we can't get to LHR in time for the Saturday flight.

We have spent a fair amount of time in the Southern England area and would just prefer to get home and get set up for the holidays.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It's a great way to travel.

Archived