Mendenhall Shuttle Buses

ljclay0130

Seeking opinions/advice

I am in Juneau from 11 - 9 p.m.

I am booked on Harv & Marv Whale watch at 11:30. Will I have enough time to do Mendenhall/Nugget Falls too.

Will Harv & Marv drop us off at the Mendenhall Glacier?

If so, are there taxis/shuttle buses I can ride back to the ship? How much would it be?

Yes you have time for mendenhall and nuggett falls.

Will harv and marv drop you off? They've done so in the past, but you will need to ask them about your specific date.

Taxis wont be parked at mendenhall, hoping for a fare. If you need a taxi you need to call for one about 30-40 minutes before you're ready to leave. It will cost about $35 each way.

The blue buses and white buses stop service from mendenhall between 5pm and 7pm. Again, you will need to ask each company about their hours on your specific travel date. Those buses are $30rt pp. It might be cheaper to rent a car if there are 3 or more in your party.

• 10 months later...
Seeking opinions/advice

I am in Juneau from 11 - 9 p.m.

I am booked on Harv & Marv Whale watch at 11:30. Will I have enough time to do Mendenhall/Nugget Falls too.

Will Harv & Marv drop us off at the Mendenhall Glacier?

If so, are there taxis/shuttle buses I can ride back to the ship? How much would it be?

What did you end up doing? We are in the same situation. Juneau on August 5 from 8 am to 9 pm. Harv and Marv from 1120-4 pm. Trying to fit in Mendenhall. Two other couples not on whale watch, but possibly would be interested in Mendenhall. Hope you had a fantastic trip! Thanks!

(Oh, Harv and Marv specifically say they don't stop at the glacier, only at Brotherhood Bridge photo view point.)

Edited by Ann from SC
addition to text

• 3 weeks later...

Our ship is only there from 7:00-1:30pm. We will be on a tight timeline as we have to catch the small boat excursion from the ship at 1:15. Ideally we would like to be back by 12:00pm but would like to do the hike to Nugget Falls. What would be your suggestions for quickest way to get there? White bus or shuttle? I wasn't sure what times the buses run.

We took the 9:00 am white shuttle to the glacier, hiked to Nugget Falls and took the 11:00 am shuttle back. We had a 12:30 excursion. We had time for a quick visit to Red Dog Saloon for a soda and some chowder. $35/pp and our cruise was last month. We also had a tight timeline but it was doable and we didn't feel rushed.

We took the 9:00 am white shuttle to the glacier, hiked to Nugget Falls and took the 11:00 am shuttle back. We had a 12:30 excursion. We had time for a quick visit to Red Dog Saloon for a soda and some chowder. $35/pp and our cruise was last month. We also had a tight timeline but it was doable and we didn't feel rushed.

Thank you, this eases my mind!

With whale watch TEMSCO, Coastal bookings, I only recommend taking a cab between the tour and Mendenhall since most no longer drop off/pick up. This saves at least an hour of transit time. Take a look at maps, there is little point in taking a whale watch coming back downtown only to head back out again to Mendenhall.

With whale watches, just make sure you know exactly what marina you are leaving out of.

We are pre-booked on the Blue Bus with M&M Tours for Saturday, 8/5/17, with plans to hopefully catch the earliest 8 am bus to Mendenhall, walk to Nugget Falls, and then take the 1030 bus back to the pier, in order to pick up our 1130 whale watch with Harv & Marv's. Because it's a Saturday, I don't believe the busses run in the afternoon; our whale watch tour runs until about 4 pm. I was worried about waiting on a cab with a schedule that tight. Hopefully, this will work for us. The more I read here, the more I learn. I certainly would change some of the planning decisions I have made along the way...but I know, despite that, that my first trip to Alaska will be great!

We are pre-booked on the Blue Bus with M&M Tours for Saturday, 8/5/17, with plans to hopefully catch the earliest 8 am bus to Mendenhall, walk to Nugget Falls, and then take the 1030 bus back to the pier, in order to pick up our 1130 whale watch with Harv & Marv's. Because it's a Saturday, I don't believe the busses run in the afternoon; our whale watch tour runs until about 4 pm. I was worried about waiting on a cab with a schedule that tight. Hopefully, this will work for us. The more I read here, the more I learn. I certainly would change some of the planning decisions I have made along the way...but I know, despite that, that my first trip to Alaska will be great!

some facts, there is no need to prebook any Mendenhall shuttle bus tickets. Walk up is simple and just taking the first available bus. Also you have a case just as I describe above, you are backtracking and needlessly adding hour for, really nothing. That time could be enjoyed at Mendenhall. I would also suggest the Trail of Time- which has new descriptive signage It's a simple arrangement to just have a pick up at Mendenhall by cab, and go direct to the whale watch.

some facts, there is no need to prebook any Mendenhall shuttle bus tickets. Walk up is simple and just taking the first available bus. Also you have a case just as I describe above, you are backtracking and needlessly adding hour for, really nothing. That time could be enjoyed at Mendenhall. I would also suggest the Trail of Time- which has new descriptive signage It's a simple arrangement to just have a pick up at Mendenhall by cab, and go direct to the whale watch.

Budget Queen, thanks for your expertise. I had pre-booked the Blue Bus in hopes of saving the minutes of finding the kiosk and purchasing the ticket. Is your suggestion, then, to arrange for a cab to pick us up at the pier, then take us to Mendenhall, and later pick us up and take us directly to Harv and Marv's. As it stands now, H&M is picking us up at the cruise ship pier. We would, in your scenario, have the cab take us directly to the H&M dock? I believe I can cancel Blue Bus up to 48 hours ahead. Can I book a cab now to avoid panic the morning of? Do you have any suggestions for a cab company? Our scheduled port arrival is 8 am and H&M begins at 1130.

You're recommending Trail of Time as an alternative to the walk to Nugget Falls? I will look into that.

Thank you again!

Budget Queen, thanks for your expertise. I had pre-booked the Blue Bus in hopes of saving the minutes of finding the kiosk and purchasing the ticket. Is your suggestion, then, to arrange for a cab to pick us up at the pier, then take us to Mendenhall, and later pick us up and take us directly to Harv and Marv's. As it stands now, H&M is picking us up at the cruise ship pier. We would, in your scenario, have the cab take us directly to the H&M dock? I believe I can cancel Blue Bus up to 48 hours ahead. Can I book a cab now to avoid panic the morning of? Do you have any suggestions for a cab company? Our scheduled port arrival is 8 am and H&M begins at 1130.

You're recommending Trail of Time as an alternative to the walk to Nugget Falls? I will look into that.

Thank you again!

Yes I would suggest a cab direct between Mendenhall and the whale watch. I don't know the current situation but in the past you could buy a one way shuttle ticket, you may want to inquire if this is still available?

The 2 cab companies that I have used, with good service is Capital and Evergreen. Yes you can arrange this ahead for a pick up.

No, I was suggesting the Trail of Time in addition to Nugget Falls, you also may want to take some time at Steep Creek if salmon is running.

This recommendation gives you plenty of time at Mendenhall and for the transfer. Do verify the exact marina/slip, with H&M and check in with them by phone, now, and day of tour, informing them if you do this. You don't want them waiting for you, or think you are a no show etc.

Yes I would suggest a cab direct between Mendenhall and the whale watch. I don't know the current situation but in the past you could buy a one way shuttle ticket, you may want to inquire if this is still available?

The 2 cab companies that I have used, with good service is Capital and Evergreen. Yes you can arrange this ahead for a pick up.

No, I was suggesting the Trail of Time in addition to Nugget Falls, you also may want to take some time at Steep Creek if salmon is running.

This recommendation gives you plenty of time at Mendenhall and for the transfer. Do verify the exact marina/slip, with H&M and check in with them by phone, now, and day of tour, informing them if you do this. You don't want them waiting for you, or think you are a no show etc.

Thanks!

From what I'm reading, a taxi for 2 would be more economical to get to Mendenhall than the blue shuttle buses. Is this correct?

Been several years since going to Mendenhall on the shuttle. The one we were on previouslyly had a driver who gave a great running commentary along the way. Is this still the case for the shuttle buses? Will a cab do the same?

Is it better to pre- book a cab?

• 6 months later...

Hi there!

I know it was a while ago, but do you remember the name/company of the white shuttle? I have learned (I think) that the blue busses are M&M, and they are $45 round trip... cheaper to book on the cruise line! I'd love to learn more about the white, though. Thanks so much! :)

Hi there!

I know it was a while ago, but do you remember the name/company of the white shuttle? I have learned (I think) that the blue busses are M&M, and they are $45 round trip... cheaper to book on the cruise line! I'd love to learn more about the white, though. Thanks so much! :)

I believe there was an increase right after our trip and the white shuttles are also $45.

http://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/33355/mendenhall-glacier-shuttle/

Like OP... our stop on MAY 14 is 11-10pm leaving port

We have 11:30 -3:pm excursion will the shuttles be running at this time?

Does the park stay and open 24hrs...trails? .......will it be light until 11?

You will want to check the schedule when it comes out in May, I know during our trip, the last shuttle was either 6:00 or 7:00 pm.