Amsterdam Hotels -- City Centre vs Airport

I will be spending 3 nights in Amsterdam after my TA next April and am trying to decide on hotel locations. Having exhausted myself from research on CC and on-line direct, I am even more undecided. Therefore, I am turning to those of you who are familiar with Amsterdam for suggestions. Traveling alone, I will definitely want to be in a safe area.

The hotels in city centre are two to three times the price of those at the airport and I am wondering if it is really worth the extra cost to stay in the city. Some of the ones I have looked at are Banks Mansion and Renaissance, due to great reviews. A lot of the smaller, less expensive hotels are already booked up since that is the flower festival week.

My question to everyone, "is it easy enough to travel from the airport each day to city centre just to save the high cost of the hotels"? I have two full day tours already booked which I will need to be at Central Station early for each day.

Thank you for any guidance or advice that you can share with me!

Personally I would stay in the city center as it is so convenient to everything. We did just that last month and stayed at the Renaissance, easily walkable from central station and great access to tram lines. The other popular area is the museum district because of its nearness to he Rijks, Van Gogh, etc. Remember you may also want to wander out at night to restaurants and other local venues.

I agree stay in the city. Train indeed is easy to do, but not only do you loose time to travel but also it will cost you extra every day.

Did you check sites like hotels. com and epedia.com. Nice way to check what hotels are available, where they are situated, price etc. Sometimes they are cheaper then making reservations with the hotels direct.

There are so many nice hotels in Amsterdam.

I went through the same decision this June, and we decided on staying in the city centre. It was definitely the right choice for us, you can pop back to your hotel between daytime and evening, it was really convenient to be walking distance to everything. We booked the Nova hotel (a central 3 star) through LMTC.

Agree with others. If you're going to experience Amsterdam, you need to be in the city center. We've stayed at Banks Mansion three times, and can highly recommend it. It's in a great location, walkable to just about everything. Breakfast is included and it's great, and an evening wine-and-cheese hour is also included. Staff is terrific - great recommendations and help with restaurants, sightseeing, tickets, etc.

I agree with the previous posts - given the choice, I would definitely stay in the city. Have you checked-out Priceline's 'Name your own Price'? That is how we have scored some excellent hotel deals in AMS.

Gorgeous city - enjoy!

Thank you all for your responses! My first thought was to stay in City Centre, but then I started branching out to other locations and really confused myself. City Centre it will be! At the moment, it is actually less expensive to book direct with the hotels which surprised me.

Thanks again for your help!

http://www.movenpick.com/en/europe/netherlands/amsterdam/hotel-amsterdam/overview/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BN-SN-%7BEUR-NL-Amsterdam-AMS%7D-ALW_BR-%28EN%29%3ANL-%5BExact%5D&utm_term=m%C3%B6venpick%20amsterdam&utm_content=M%C3%B6venpick%20Amsterdam-Exact

This is the hotel we used. It was just slightly out of the main city center. There's a tram across the street (about 1/4 mile walk) and it takes you directly to Centraal Station (about 2 stops down) where you can catch trains and trams to anywhere else within the city. The views from the hotel were excellent and the hotel was beautiful. For us, the convenience of it was fantastic.