Booking Epic Shows as a Solo...Now or Later?

Quilting_Cruiser

I'll be sailing in a studio for the first time in March and we're approaching the date when the booking window opens. I'm looking forward to seeing Priscilla Queen of the Dessert. Though I'm very comfortable doing things on my own, I'm thinking this would be a fun one to see with others. I've read the crew member assigned to the studio lounge arranges for dinners for solos who want to dine together; does he or she also arrange for attendance at shows? Bottom line, do you suggest I go ahead and book when the window opens to make sure I do get to see the show or would I be okay waiting until I'm on board and it's arranged by the crew for the solos? It would be very disappointing for me if I miss the show...

TIA!

YOu can always play it by ear, I didn't book anything when solo on the EPIC and I managed to get in all the shows. I just showed up 10 mins before curtain and got a seat. For Second City is was crappy behind a post but for the theater shows (BMG) I had a good seat. A group might form for the big shows but that wasn't my experience. For the non-booked shows we did go as a small group.

I did see a sign-up sheet for the show in the Studio Lounge, but I don't know if it was a passenger initiative or if the cruise staff was organizing it.

There is no harm in booking for yourself and then canceling or changing it on board. Or go once by yourself, and once with the solo group! Priscilla is worth seeing several times, in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't even think about booking it when the window opens it to make sure I get to go and then changing it on board once I see what happens. I'll plan to do that.

Hawkeyetsle, you never know, I just may do that! I love musicals and this one looks like a lot of fun! :D

I was on the Epic a couple of years ago as a solo traveler. I booked my reservation ahead of time, but ended up going with a group of people a different night. I missed my reservation and went to the show with the group on a whim. At first the lady made me wait in the stand by line, but ended up letting me join my group that had reservations. The group wasn't coordinated by the solo director.

I say book it if you're concerned about being able to go, but know that you can definitely be flexible too!

You've already gotten good advice but I'll add my agreement to book ahead of time and play it by ear on the ship. I actually booked ahead of time and the solo coordinator arranged for the solos to see the same show I had booked at the same time. I would've changed to go with the group but it worked out that I didn't need to change and it was one less person the solo coordinator had to arrange for. Win win! Enjoy the Epic! I had the BEST time with other solos on my Epic cruise!

You've already gotten good advice but I'll add my agreement to book ahead of time and play it by ear on the ship. I actually booked ahead of time and the solo coordinator arranged for the solos to see the same show I had booked at the same time. I would've changed to go with the group but it worked out that I didn't need to change and it was one less person the solo coordinator had to arrange for. Win win! Enjoy the Epic! I had the BEST time with other solos on my Epic cruise!

Thank you! :D

I've travelled solo on the Epic three times. I would book, to ensure you don't miss out, but you can change if that time doesn't suit. It also depends on the solo host. We had Fernando 2013 and Morne' 2014 and they were absolutely fantastic at organising things for us all. July 2015, this year the host=fail. She scheduled the solo gatherings around 5.30 when we weren't even due back on board until 6.00 and only spent the minimum time there. We had to take the initiative! Hopefully you'll get a great host!

Edited by karoo

I've travelled solo on the Epic three times. I would book, to ensure you don't miss out, but you can change if that time doesn't suit. It also depends on the solo host. We had Fernando 2013 and Morne' 2014 and they were absolutely fantastic at organising things for us all. July 2015, this year the host=fail. She scheduled the solo gatherings around 5.30 when we weren't even due back on board until 6.00 and only spent the minimum time there. We had to take the initiative! Hopefully you'll get a great host!

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully we'll have a good host. :)

Understand this, you will get in no matter what, if you have or don't have reservations. I am saying this from my and others experiences.

If you are so worried you can just reserve your spot now, and if you want to join a solo group you can tell the Solo Host to cancel your reservation and add you to the group to see a show.

I just got back from Breakaway, this lady had already reserved shows, she asked if he(solo host) can cancel her reservations and add her to the group to see it together with other solos. It was no problem what so ever, he was happy to do it.

I personally didn't want to go with anyone because I don't like doing things by anyone's schedule, I do things when I feel like doing it. So 5 minutes before the show, I asked myself, do I feel like seeing this show now. As it turns out I was in the mood at that time lol.

Edited by cruiseelady

I personally didn't want to go with anyone because I don't like doing things by anyone's schedule, I do things when I feel like doing it. So 5 minutes before the show, I asked myself, do I feel like seeing this show now. As it turns out I was in the mood at that time lol.

For me, that's one of the best things about cruising solo. I do things when and if I want to do them. Until my first solo cruise a year ago when my daughter wasn't able to come, I've always cruised with her. I love spending time with her, but there's a very different quality to my trips when I have no one to be concerned about but myself. I'm not good at taking care of myself and doing things for me, so an annual solo cruise is my way of trying to improve on that. I didn't get to take that cruise this year because my oldest daughter got married a couple months ago, so I scheduled it for the spring. I can't wait! :D I'm already thinking about what my solo trip will be in 2017. :o

Understand this, you will get in no matter what, if you have or don't have reservations. I am saying this from my and others experiences.
There is no guarantee. It's true that most of the shows do not "sell out" completely. But I have also seen shows that are completely full and lots of people left standing outside.

If you care at all about getting a good seat, I would recommend reserving and showing up a little early. That is not the only way to do it, just what we normally do. We don't mind a little bit of advance planning, but I can understand those who prefer to avoid that.

Specifically for Priscilla, you can also wait for some clueless people to walk out in disgust 5 minutes into the show and take their seats :D